The Saboteur finally returns to glorious Windows action thanks to GoG!

Started by JasonPratt, December 19, 2018, 07:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JasonPratt

Stop reading this and go to GoG right now to pick up THE SABOTEUR before the winter sale is over. They've solved the 4-core problem most modern players were having since its release -- some people are still having hardware problems, so you may have to refund after all, but GoG is okay about that.

You can thank me later.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Why are you still here?! GO!!!

...look, don't you want to be an Irish Indiana Jones punching and stabbing Nazis in a totally atmospheric WW2 Paris (and countryside round about), except that you're actually a former race car driver who knows his way around a stick of dynamite and cusses with a hilarious accent, so instead of searching for the Holy Grail for more than one side mission you're mostly playing Grand Theft Nazi and heaving yourself along the sides of Parisian architecture to commandeer flak cannons in order to rain destruction on goosesteppers before retreating to your topless cabaret hideout (or possibly a local brothel) until the heat dies down?!

Because this is how you get that.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bboyer66

The biggest problem I had with it was that if you played it at a high resolution (1080P which was the highest at that time) the map went all catawampus, and you couldn't really navigate. If they fixed that I am all in.

JasonPratt

Even at 720p the game looks great -- it was designed for that resolution -- but I'll check this afternoon. I only watched the opening cutscene (since my controller was spinning me around uncontrollably for no clear reason). Under the circumstances I didn't notice if the minimap had activated yet or not: all I can say is that it didn't jump out as being whacked!

(I remember hearing about the 1080 minimap problem years ago, but that must have been for the PC port. Forcing an upscale to 1080 on my PS3 didn't bother anything that I recall.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mbar

Took a look and I already own it. I really need to go through my backlog.

bboyer66

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 20, 2018, 09:09:00 AM
Even at 720p the game looks great -- it was designed for that resolution -- but I'll check this afternoon. I only watched the opening cutscene (since my controller was spinning me around uncontrollably for no clear reason). Under the circumstances I didn't notice if the minimap had activated yet or not: all I can say is that it didn't jump out as being whacked!

(I remember hearing about the 1080 minimap problem years ago, but that must have been for the PC port. Forcing an upscale to 1080 on my PS3 didn't bother anything that I recall.)

Check out your throttle on the controller (if you have one), if you are spinning around. If I remember it was the main map, not the mini-map that was all messed up, I could be wrong.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


JasonPratt

First thing I checked was whether the stick-and-throttle were plugged in. But nope.

Doesn't strictly matter: it can be played on controller (I sure did previously!), but I'm fine with precision mouse-shooting, too.  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Nov 30, 2009.

Despite the 24 hour sale, it's still $5. But I expect the sale ends with the start of the Steam sale at noon.


I shall post some screenies soon.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

I've read a bunch of posts and articles about Saboteur recently...it's got quite a cult following, beyond lunatics like Pratt.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Ian C

Quote from: bboyer66 on December 20, 2018, 08:53:44 AM
The biggest problem I had with it was that if you played it at a high resolution (1080P which was the highest at that time) the map went all catawampus, and you couldn't really navigate. If they fixed that I am all in.

The GOG version is fixed. No map scale-mismatch.

Quote from: Gusington on December 20, 2018, 10:28:48 AM
I've read a bunch of posts and articles about Saboteur recently...it's got quite a cult following, beyond lunatics like Pratt.

I think it's one of the best WW2 action third-person shooters ever. It has stealth, face-to-face combat, tactical thinking, cinematic thrills and a rich immersive story-line with a beautiful open world of Nazi-occupied Paris and northern France. Some of the missions are epic and straight from the pages of a boy's-own WW2 action comic book. There is also a private part of the strip club where you are hiding in, where you can play a knife-throwing game and have several custom Burlesque dances performed for you. The game is not completely historical but great fun - and running over Parisian rooftops at night after blowing the crap out of Nazis while you're trying to escape is one of the best experiences I've had in a game. It's as good if not better than the original Medal of Honour games on the PS1.

If you want a more realistic game, then the higher difficulty levels achieve this (jumping 30 feet off a roof will kill you and bullets will kill with a couple of shots).

It's $3.79. Buy it.

https://www.gog.com/game/saboteur

JasonPratt

Also there is a truly ludicrous number of things to blow up.

And you can hijack tanks eventually.

Not only is it entirely possible to freeclimb the Eiffel Tower, but if that isn't the final mission it's close to it!

It doesn't just take place "in Paris" either, though that's the selling point. There are about ten smaller towns, irrc, around the map, and countryside in between.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

The dancers are such an important part of the early game, that they're included in the stylized opening credit art, and the game menu is simply a camera standing on the street watching people walk by the front of the theater.

(....which I just realized might be an homage to French misc-en-scen film technique! -- an ultra-realistic style based on plopping a camera down to capture slice-of-life footage. :o This game is legitimately amazing.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!