UBOAT, WW2 subsim 4/30/19 on Steam

Started by glen55, April 20, 2019, 03:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bboyer66

Tried Sandbox mode for the first time. Pretty geeked up that I am finally going to get to shoot something. Game crashes my computer in the middle of the Bay of Biscay.  Going to get the latest video drivers, but I might have to shelve this for a while :(   

JasonPratt

Well I recorded the tutorial (as far as it goes, since not all the tutorial is in the game yet!) But there are tutorial replays already on the net (I think at least one linked in the thread above?), so I doubt I'll take the time to upload it.

(This was the point of hoping for a Livestream, since then I might be able to field questions and requests on the go.)

I might however try recording a sandbox campaign for a while. Members are welcome to volunteer as officers!  >:D (Officers can be given new names, and their look can be customized rather far for a late alpha build. They also level up and gain new skilz. Currently there seem to be three officer types: radiomen, engineers, and leaders.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Skoop

Quote from: bboyer66 on May 01, 2019, 07:48:42 PM
Tried Sandbox mode for the first time. Pretty geeked up that I am finally going to get to shoot something. Game crashes my computer in the middle of the Bay of Biscay.  Going to get the latest video drivers, but I might have to shelve this for a while :(

I had a crash in sandbox as well.  I recommend you save frequently to guard against progress loss.  There's a lot to this game as I'm finding out.  The huge moral hit when in alarm state I mentioned can be alleviated but stocking 2 to 3 different kinds of food in the galley.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 01, 2019, 08:15:42 PM
Members are welcome to volunteer as officers!

Radioman Huw the Poo reporting in, mein kommandant!

The_Admiral

Quote from: trek on May 01, 2019, 05:51:12 PM
Yes JH, there has been some queries about getting a historically accurate flag in the game. So far no response from the devs on that one. I suspect just as in the SH series the modders will have to implement that. I'm also hoping that we will soon be able to bring our U-Boat into a sub pen like Lorient. When I was in France in 2017 after leaving Normandy my wife and I visited Lorient and the sub pens there. The pictures of it don't really convey how gigantic they are like seeing them up close and personal.

I might agree that visuals are always an important thing in any game relying on a 3D world, but I might also add that considering you're driving around a U-boat with half its crew, tasked with recovering a radar crate at the bottom of the North Sea, navigating among cans of food in a random location that has nothing to do with any sort of actual operation or logic whatsoever (was the cargo delivering the radar to the Germans? Considering the road it took it seems likely enough an explanation to me ^^)... My point is, that if people are to love or hate the game, the flag doesn't sound like much of a parameter IMHO. My 2 cts  :arr:

To me it's more of an adventure game than an actual sim - which is completely fine, but when my willing suspension of disbelief is already that far down the rabbit hole, the flag looks sound like a bit of a cosmetic (aka secondary) issue. But that's just me  ;) And you're right, Modders will certainly be (or are already) at work in that regard.

Jarhead0331

Nobody said an authentic flag is a critical component to enjoyment of the game. But it's a simple touch that adds a significant level of immersion. The flag features prominently when in port and when out at sea where the player can unfold and fly the flag on the mast from the conning tower.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Pete Dero

Quote from: Skoop on May 01, 2019, 10:51:19 PM
Quote from: bboyer66 on May 01, 2019, 07:48:42 PM

I had a crash in sandbox as well.

New patch : https://steamcommunity.com/games/494840/announcements/detail/1622895822977233903

Missing officers in Port of Kiel and La Spezia are now available. It is also possible to walk in these ports in FPP mode now.
    It's no longer possible to enable fast travel when engines are disabled.
    Characters can no longer be visible on upper starboard beds in the section view after loading a game state.
    Random events were no longer starting after loading a game state. They do now.
    Depository worker at La Rochelle wasn't aligned with the chair.
    Periscopes weren't working correctly near ports. Identifying AA guns wasn't possible among other issues.
    Helping sailors were sometimes occupying the attack periscope instead of the officer.
    FPP animation problems when moving through hatches still persisted in case of some officers.
    Character impersonated in FPP wasn't taking any automated actions after switching to the section view.
    Periscope sounds are now much more quiet.
    Further terrain generation fixes.
    Further crash fixes.
    Added missing Korean translations.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 02, 2019, 02:35:21 AM
Nobody said an authentic flag is a critical component to enjoyment of the game. But it's a simple touch that adds a significant level of immersion. The flag features prominently when in port and when out at sea where the player can unfold and fly the flag on the mast from the conning tower.

U_Korvettenkapitaen (developer)
We've written about it in our FAQ:

"Q: Why no swastikas?
A: It's too much trouble for a small developer. We would have to keep separate builds for countries where they are allowed and countries where nazis symbols are banned. That would delay updates to the game and in case of a mistake we would be forced to pay fines."

https://steamcommunity.com/app/494840/discussions/0/1649917420735855918/

Jarhead0331

^yes. I know. I said someone's needs to MOD it in.

Fundamentally, though, I think people on this planet need to stop being such giant pussies and need to get their priorities straight. Depicting a symbol on a flag is soooo offensive, but depicting German sailors killing innocent people at sea is acceptable...what?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 02, 2019, 07:49:11 AM
^yes. I know. I said someone's needs to MOD it in.

Fundamentally, though, I think people on this planet need to stop being such giant pussies and need to get their priorities straight. Depicting a symbol on a flag is soooo offensive, but depicting German sailors killing innocent people at sea is acceptable...what?

This company home country Poland is close to Russia (a potential market ?) and Russia has large fines for the depiction of the swastica (and other nazi symbols).
France and Austria also forbid their use.

Germany no longer has a full ban but will allow the use of it on a case by case basis.

The prohibition of "anti-constitutional symbols" under German law

Two provisions of the German Criminal Code (§§ 86 and 86a) prohibit the public use and dissemination of propaganda and symbols of anti-constitutional organisations. Possible penalties are severe, e.g. disseminating symbols of anti-constitutional organisations is punishable by imprisonment of up to three years or a fine. The term "symbol" is very broad and includes flags and insignia, particularly the swastika.

The use and dissemination of anti-constitutional symbols is permitted for certain privileged purposes, including in particular civil education, art, science, research and teaching as well as reporting on current or historical events. This derogation is based on the constitutionally guaranteed freedom of art, science and the press.

Jarhead0331

^i'm aware of all that. Thank you. It doesn't alter my position. It only supports it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 02, 2019, 08:38:26 AM
^i'm aware of all that. Thank you. It doesn't alter my position. It only supports it.

I'm with you that it shouldn't be an issue but I accept it isn't their fight to fight.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Pete Dero on May 02, 2019, 08:48:31 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 02, 2019, 08:38:26 AM

I'm with you that it shouldn't be an issue but I accept it isn't their fight to fight.

Totally agree. I don't blame the developer at all. I think its a smart move on their part. Its the politicians and the people who elect them that bother me. lol
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 02, 2019, 08:50:29 AM
Its the politicians and the people who elect them that bother me. lol

The only way democracy can work is when everybody is like me  >:D.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Pete Dero on May 02, 2019, 08:56:23 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 02, 2019, 08:50:29 AM
Its the politicians and the people who elect them that bother me. lol

The only way democracy can work is when everybody is like me  >:D.

I agree...so long as you are like me.  >:D >:D
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog