Matrix sale is up and runs until January 12th, 2020

Started by Geezer, November 26, 2019, 10:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Quote from: -budd- on December 01, 2019, 11:50:28 AM
Quote from: Redwolf on December 01, 2019, 10:57:49 AM
I mis-remembered.

My actual inquiry is whether there is anything going on with Panzer Command as a game series, aka whether Ostfront is still a thing of development at this time.

I guess COMMAND doesn't have a black friday sale.  Bummer.

Couple of people are working in the back round on improvement and new stuff   https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4598475

always wondered my Matrix didn't support and improve this more going forward. With just CM and maybe Graviteam as the only games like it.

I may be misremembering, but I think the original independent dev company evaporated, dumping all the IP and leaving several overworked folks at Matrix and a few die hard modders to bring to life the final Ostfront incarnation.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Wolfe1759

Looking forward to January 17th 2020 when my c14 year loyalty discount arrives  #:-)
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

demjansk1942

Is there a coupon code for Warplan?  Thanks guys

bobarossa

Quote from: demjansk1942 on December 20, 2019, 06:11:46 PM
Is there a coupon code for Warplan?  Thanks guys
The 25% off code for Grogs expired on Dec 1st.  I don't think it's part of Holday Sale.

JasonPratt

Just realized my coupon is for 15th anniversary.

My guys at work bought a couple of lunches for me as usual for Christmas, so I may use the relative cash value and a discount (probably Grogs) to pick up StratComWW1 after all.  ::)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

All right, final Matrix tally for the year: got the new StratComWW1 game using the Grogheads discount  <:-)

Then with my combined 15 year anniversary plus winter sale punch:

Steel Panthers: World at War - Generals Edition
Brother Against Brother (I so badly want a remake update of Forge of Freedom, sigh)
Piercing Fortress Europa (never got around to this either)
Wars of Succession
Thirty Years' War
English Civil War (completing my Ageod trifecta for the period, at last)
The Operational Art of War IV
Battlestar Galactica Deadlock: Resurrection (i.e. the start of season two, i.e. Galactica herself is finally in the game  ::) )

Final tally, including tax, just over $50.  :bd: In other words, for the normal price of TOAW4 by itself.

Also caught up synching my Matrixslitherine games to Steam, where possible.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

airboy

How difficult is War Plan Orange?

I'm quite interested in the alt-history potential of the game, but I'm concerned that it would take a ton of detailed study to master.

JasonPratt

WPO is easier (relatively) than War in the Pacific (the engine it's based on) which is easier than the Admiral's edition.

I haven't touched it in years myself, but I seem to recall you may have the ability, as in WitP (before Admiral's edition), to sector off the portions of the theater that you want to play in and let the AI handle the rest.

Invicta hosted a lecture on WPO (not the game) back around Thanksgiving this year, by Pete Pelligrino, who designs war games for the US Naval War College. Essentially he explains why Nimitz could say his famous quote, that nothing in WW2 Pacific surprised him except the kamikazes.

I've been meaning to watch it since Thanksgiving! It runs about 45 minutes.

Here's a sort-of prequel (from a month earlier) about how the Naval War College plans and executes wargames.

bobarossa

My Matrix anniversary coupon arrived today.  Picked up WarPlan (not on sale), Fantasy General 2, and War Plan Orange for $44 and change. 

CJReich46

I think I get my anniversary coupon a week after the sale. So that works out for me. 11 year too!
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Toonces

I've been thinking of picking up WPO as well.

Also I had a chance to work with Pete Pelligrino on a couple of war games when I was at the NWC.  The guy is absolutely brilliant.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

airboy

For this sale I bought:
Civil War 2 based on the AAR.
Pride of Nations Spanish American War.
War Plan Orange

On the grogheads discount I picked up:
Warplan
Strategic Command WW1

JasonPratt

I wonder how much of a nightmare a multiplayer match of WPO would be...

FarAway Sooner

I held off on WarPlan, when I saw the discount offered up to us.  Then, Christmas rolled around, and there's no discount at all on WarPlan (I don't blame them for a new game for sure).  I'd lost track of the timing on the discount, and realized that it expired on 11/30.

I'm wondering what the timing is of my Anniversary coupon, and I find out that IT expired on 11/29.  So, I had a chance to get WarPlan at something like 65% off, and instead I can only lay my hands on it for 0% off. 

Guess I'll pay more attention to sale dates and coupons next year!   :'(

Ah well, Strategic Command WW II seems like a nice pickup...

Tripoli

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 27, 2019, 09:30:14 PM
I wonder how much of a nightmare a multiplayer match of WPO would be...

I'm not sure about WPO, but there are a lot of AE edition AARs over at the Matrix forum.  https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=712
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln