Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion Advice

Started by devoncop, April 20, 2020, 04:45:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

devoncop

Hi Guys

As a die hard turn based strategy guy who is of an age to avoid click fests like the plague, am I right to avoid picking up Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion which is on a big discount on Humble Bundle for the next few hours ?

It seems to have truly great reviews but the idea of controlling huge fleets as well as every planet in a far flung Empire all in real time does give me some pre traumatic stress  :)

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Trooperc7

The game is too good not to give it a try! I have recently been playing it. I dont believe its quite the clickfest you are expecting!

devoncop

Quote from: Trooperc7 on April 20, 2020, 05:56:26 AM
The game is too good not to give it a try! I have recently been playing it. I dont believe its quite the clickfest you are expecting!
[/quotee]

Good stuff. Much obliged. At the price offered it is a fair gamble anyway :)

I will hit a couple of tutorial You Tube slots first......

Off to find my wallet  :bd:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

mbar

I agree. Sins is slower paced and you can give orders while paused. It is one of the best out there. Sins Rebellion is the latest and greatest version.

devoncop

Quote from: mbar on April 20, 2020, 08:21:44 AM
I agree. Sins is slower paced and you can give orders while paused. It is one of the best out there. Sins Rebellion is the latest and greatest version.

Thanks Mbar....working my way through some Lets Plays and will try the tutorial tonight.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Jarhead0331

Don't forget the mods. There are some really fantastic must-have mods for this title.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


devoncop

#6
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 20, 2020, 11:15:31 AM
Don't forget the mods. There are some really fantastic must-have mods for this title.

All noted Jarhead. Thanks.

I have just looked on Steam Workshop and there must be hundreds :)

Any you particularly recommend ?

I t would have to be on the Steam Workshop though as I am too much of a Neanderthal to manually load them from files :uglystupid2:

Just for info I bought the Gold Edition which includes all the Minor Factions,Sins Rebellion and Sins Trinity. For £17 that seemed pretty cool.


http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Jarhead0331

Quote from: devoncop on April 20, 2020, 12:12:40 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 20, 2020, 11:15:31 AM
Don't forget the mods. There are some really fantastic must-have mods for this title.

All noted Jarhead. Thanks.

I have just looked on Steam Workshop and there must be hundreds :)

Any you particularly recommend ?

I t would have to be on the Steam Workshop though as I am too much of a Neanderthal to manually load them from files :uglystupid2:

Some of the best ones are on Moddb. My personal favorite is Sins of the Prophet. Its a very detailed Halo total conversion. Very sleek and professionally done, and more importantly, consistently updated, improved and expanded. it is a total conversion mod. Changes nearly everything. Its almost like playing an entirely different game.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/halo-sins-of-the-prophets

I don't see a workshop on my steam page for SoaSE:R. To my knowledge all mods must be installed manually, but its so easy, even a Neanderthal could do it!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


devoncop

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 20, 2020, 12:43:57 PM
Quote from: devoncop on April 20, 2020, 12:12:40 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 20, 2020, 11:15:31 AM
Don't forget the mods. There are some really fantastic must-have mods for this title.

All noted Jarhead. Thanks.

I have just looked on Steam Workshop and there must be hundreds :)

Any you particularly recommend ?

I t would have to be on the Steam Workshop though as I am too much of a Neanderthal to manually load them from files :uglystupid2:

Some of the best ones are on Moddb. My personal favorite is Sins of the Prophet. Its a very detailed Halo total conversion. Very sleek and professionally done, and more importantly, consistently updated, improved and expanded. it is a total conversion mod. Changes nearly everything. Its almost like playing an entirely different game.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/halo-sins-of-the-prophets

I don't see a workshop on my steam page for SoaSE:R. To my knowledge all mods must be installed manually, but its so easy, even a Neanderthal could do it!


Darn it you are right !

I was sure I had seen a list of the Mods on the Workshop but I think it was now on a website but there were hundreds listed.

I will play the base game for my first run through and if it clicks then I will try installing the Sins of the Prophets Mod !!

Cheers
#
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

CJReich46

Quote from: devoncop on April 20, 2020, 12:57:51 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 20, 2020, 12:43:57 PM
Quote from: devoncop on April 20, 2020, 12:12:40 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 20, 2020, 11:15:31 AM
Don't forget the mods. There are some really fantastic must-have mods for this title.

All noted Jarhead. Thanks.

I have just looked on Steam Workshop and there must be hundreds :)

Any you particularly recommend ?

I t would have to be on the Steam Workshop though as I am too much of a Neanderthal to manually load them from files :uglystupid2:

Some of the best ones are on Moddb. My personal favorite is Sins of the Prophet. Its a very detailed Halo total conversion. Very sleek and professionally done, and more importantly, consistently updated, improved and expanded. it is a total conversion mod. Changes nearly everything. Its almost like playing an entirely different game.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/halo-sins-of-the-prophets

I don't see a workshop on my steam page for SoaSE:R. To my knowledge all mods must be installed manually, but its so easy, even a Neanderthal could do it!


Darn it you are right !

I was sure I had seen a list of the Mods on the Workshop but I think it was now on a website but there were hundreds listed.

I will play the base game for my first run through and if it clicks then I will try installing the Sins of the Prophets Mod !!

Cheers
#

I've mentioned on another thread the Star Trek Mods: Ages of the Federation- The Four Years War and Armada III. Both are highly recommended.  JH mentions a Star Wars mod that is incredible for Sins Rebellion.

But Rebellion while it is clicky-at times. It is not micromanagement all the time. Your fleets will do what you tell them to do. You don't have to focus on every battle.

Nice thing is every game is customizable. You can set the level of the AI, who's allied with you, victory conditions, the threat level of pirates. So its set to your pace.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

devoncop

Thanks CJ.

The second paragraph makes the game much more playable for me. The fact fleets don't NEED to have their hands held is hugely important given the scale and something I noticed on the Lets Plays on You Tube this afternoon. Obviously the pandemic expert players will be more hands on but for numbskulls like me its a fine feature  :)

I am no Trekkie having only a knowledge of the "James T Kirk" era but I do like the lore behind things in that era so will check out your suggestions.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Con

I was going to buy this and then I had a stray thought looked up my google mail and sure enough there from 2010 was a receipt showing I had purchased the game.  Of course I cant activate it on steam for some reasons so I have a ticket open.

However the itch I am looking to scratch is more around space battles.  What do you think is a better way to get relief - Sins of the Solar or Battlestar Galactica on the actual battles?

Con

Trooperc7

I cant think of a game that does space battles as well as Sins!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Trooperc7 on April 21, 2020, 05:38:17 AM
I cant think of a game that does space battles as well as Sins!

Homeworld. Vastly superior. Still the one king to rule them all.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Destraex

#14
I agree with Jarhead, homeworld is still king. Battlestar Galactica Deadlock is another good one. I count anything with a X,Y and Z axis as a win. Sins has a Z axis, but you have no control over it, the AI rarely uses it and I would not be surprised if it was patched out entirely.
Sins of a Solar Empire is though an absolute classic and still occasionally play it coop with friends (you can play up to 8 players or so iirc) against the AI for a relaxing time.

However if you want really slow and single player but still the same sort of concept, perhaps stellaris is a better choice? Still real time, but much less of a focus on space battles. Although it does have them. They are simple circle battles. But stellaris does have 4x depth of story while still being real time and jump lane large galaxy map focussed. Sins is primarily focussed on combat and has very little 4x.

I would also mention that the original sins soundtack was amazing. I don't seem to hear those songs in the rebellion version. However I do turn that stuff down so maybe I miss them.

I highly recommend Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion. The base game is a blast.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"