Old PCgame boxes - Cleaned out the shed - A blast to see them again.

Started by Destraex, July 17, 2020, 01:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

steve58

Have/had a lot of those.  Still got a closet with 2 shelves full of old PC games...big and small boxes.  Keep having to re-direct the wife away from that closet every time she gets in a de-clutter mode/mood :knuppel2:  O:-)
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

W8taminute

See that's where we men must remember to keep our pimp hands strong when it comes to our gaming nostalgia pre-marriage. 

I can accept a possession of mine getting thrown out by the wife in the garbage if it's something like say a kooky mickey mouse mug I won at a carnival.  But if my game boxes ever get thrown out behind my back there will be some serious hell to pay and my wife knows that.  I'm talking scorched earth policy.  She'll need a binding U.N. mandate to keep the ungodly firestorm I would unleash. 

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Sir Slash

Every good Divorce Lawyer knows throwing-out spouse's game boxes is actionable. And justified.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

IICptMillerII

This was a great burst of nostalgia, thanks for sharing these! Back in my childhood home I have a bunch of game boxes. I miss the good old days of those game boxes, and the good games that came in them.

Destraex

Quote from: Gusington on July 17, 2020, 08:35:21 AM
Centurion: Defender of Rome is one of my all time favorites :)

Are some of the boxes in there twice or is am I seeing things? Like Hexen?

Must have double posted one photo sorry. I threw out a fair few a few years back. This box in the shed was a surprise to me though. Been 20yrs since some of that stuff was moved.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on July 17, 2020, 09:24:19 AM
Snap!  Just saw "Wooden Ships and Iron Men," as a PC game.  Did not know they did  that = cool stuffs.

That is one of the only board games I still have from my gaming heyday.

Yeah. I had no idea it was a board game until a friend mentioned it upon seeing those photos. Board game stores were much rarer than PC game stores in Australia back then. Their was one store in another state that imported games called milsimgames. Only one I really knew of. I used to subscribe to their free catalogue. You used to be able to read huge descriptions on all the games. Because convincing people over mail order when no internet is available and no other way of telling what they were made that catalogue amazing. You got a tonne of background on computer games and board games.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

I should mention as well. Tomorrow my Wife sends an interstate friend that Mechwarrior box. A friend probably too young to have ever played that game. He will be modifying the box, framing it and putting it on the wall. Retro art. That's how much of a fan he is of mechwarrior. I reckon it's a really cool idea. It's the age we are from.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

jamus34

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 17, 2020, 02:45:56 PM
That is quite the collection there Destreax.   :notworthy:    I also had, or drooled over, most of the same group back in the day. Anybody else remember the screenshots on the back? They'd put the IBM's on there and you had to read, 'Amiga screens may differ'.  :pullhair:

Oh it was even worse for C64.

The absolute worst game I remember with the "bait and switch" graphics was Dragonstrike.

IBM POV actually looked like the back of a dragon.

C64 You got a pixel on screen. I mean seriously it looked like an Atari game.
Insert witty comment here.

Gusington

I never had an IBM PC back in the Charlie Chaplin PC era, but weren't graphics much better on an Amiga? I did have a C64 so I know that the PC graphics blew away the C64.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

The Amiga was much better that the average IBM PC until roughly the time of the first 386 based PCs. By then there were newer VGA and SVGA graphics cards and sound card options that allowed game developers to build nice looking and sounding games for the PC. Older DOS games were still going to look and sound crappy if they only offered CGA and EGA graphics. The only close call might be those 80's games that offered 'Tandy' graphics and sound, as the Tandy 1000 line of PC computers was actually designed to offer game friendly PC-Jr style sound and color while still being nearly fully XT/AT compatible, something the PC-Jr itself was not.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

steve58

I remember when I got my 1st VGA monitor and was able to view a picture of a rose that looked like an actual rose.  Daaamn, I be old :-\
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I played, 'Curse of the Azure Bonds', my first Gold Box game, on a monochrome monitor. No colors! Then I went with a hook-up to my old color TV.  O0  That was nice!
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.