Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2

Started by Toonces, August 13, 2012, 09:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

First off, this is a great game.  I was (and still am) very indimidated by it, but I'm finding that by just pressing play and jumping into the deep end I'm starting to get the hang of it.  Sort of.

Ok, so I abandoned my Iceland game and started over as Prince of Moray in Scotland in the 1066 scenario.  I start with two holdings- Moray and Ross.

Somehow I get a du jure claim against an area to the east- Bethany or something like that.  I declare war and hire 1000 mercenaries to assist.  I successfully win the seige getting my warscore up to 100%.  I offer peace- accept demands which the Count does.  But, afterwards I don't seem to "own" the area.  I can't build stuff and it's not surrounded with a border.  Also, I can't revoke his title now because we're in a truce.

How do I actually capture the area?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Just to add, he's an Earl, not a Count.  When I change the map colors, the area is the same color as Moray and Ross. 

Also, I have a du jure claim on Caithness, to the north, but I can't declare war because it is independent. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

TheCommandTent

I am very much in the same boat as you in terms of being intimidated by the game but still trying to play.  So take what I say with a grain of salt and I am sure someone who knows what they are actually talking about will be along shortly.

If I remember correctly when you win the war and they accept peace they become your vassals and you don't get direct control of those claims.  You either have to revoke their claim (which I believes makes alot of people unhappy) or wait for them to rebel then revoke the claim and put them in jail  (which nobody cares about).

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on August 13, 2012, 09:22:13 PM
Just to add, he's an Earl, not a Count.  When I change the map colors, the area is the same color as Moray and Ross. 

I'm not really sure of the whole situation during your war - there was obviously a historical casus belli for the leader you chose.  If it's color shows as the same as yours in one filter, but not in another, then you likely made him swear fealty to you.  Which means your WarDec specified that if you won, that he would become your vassal.  To be sure, remember the ruler's name and then open your own character page and bring up the Vassals tab & see if he's in there.

Another thing.. and this may be more likely.. is that if you are a vassal of someone else (King of Scotland perchance?  I can't remember) then you can only WarDec other vassals of same IIRC.  So the War aims you chose when you wardec'd your fellow vassal of Scotland was probably only for gaining points and/or money from the guy, and not his lands.  There are different Casus Bellis and each one has a specific outcome for winning and losing (each).  If there are numerous war goal choices, make sure you choose the exact one you want when declaring and not just the default (top) one.

QuoteAlso, I have a du jure claim on Caithness, to the north, but I can't declare war because it is independent.

This points to the second instance I mentioned above.  You cannot declare war on any other noble if you are a vassal yourself.   While in-fighting is okay, it would require your liege's decision to WarDec a neighboring independent ruler; so your King (in this case) is the only one who can declare war on another.  Did I make sense, here?

Toonces

Yep, concur completely with everything you guys said.  He's my Vassal now (and I'm his liege) so it is as you guys say and I guess I can't declare war on Caithness because I'm under the King of Scotland.

Whew!

I missed the war aims stuff, though...I'll have to pay a lot closer attention the next time I have an opportunity to declare war.

Toonces

Soooo.....guess who managed to become King of Scotland?

Booyah!

Tough fight, but I think I am figuring it all out.  The key was to wait for the original king to die and then declare war with the goal of securing the Kingdom of Scotland in the war screen (missed that the first playthrough with Iceland).

Not sure what I'm goint to do next, maybe try to pick up some of those countries to the north and west.  Hell, maybe I'll try to take Iceland!

Toonces

What an amazing game...I knew this game would be worth it if I put in the effort to learn how to play it.  Awesome stuff, man.

undercovergeek

Well done on the kingship toonces..... Surely England beckons next!! At least a few of any independant titles first!

For a de jure claim all your doing is usurping the title but leaving the initial vassal in place... A problem I have in Spain as I end up keeping the Muslim vassal and he always hates me! You could then remove his title but everyone will be unhappy or wait for him to rebel as he will still be loyal to his original liege and this usually happens..... All the consequences benefits and losses of each claim and the different kinds of claims are listed on the declare war page as you go for the location

Good luck and glad you're enjoying it

Father Ted

I'd been thinking about getting CK2 for a while, and then there was a Steam sale and I also started reading Game of Thrones so it became a must buy.  I've now had a couple of sessions and just haven't got it yet.

I'm confused about what I'm supposed to be doing in general terms.  Is it like Total War, in that you have to grow your economy and expand your realm, capturing areas by force?  Or is it more about the diplomacy?  I'm playing my game as a duke - does how you play vary depending on your initial "rank"?

I'd appreciate any pointers you guys can give me - just how you actually play the game, really!

undercovergeek

There is no right and wrong with the game you want to play.... Beyond the historical England takes Scotland, France takes England, unify Italy or Germany it comes down to your own preset goals... Its refreshing and occasionally mind boggling to play a game that says 'what do you want to do' instead of build 10 archers, then take this and build that... Do exactly what you want and the story will build itself anyway... At some point in an early game you'll get a trigger like 'Dave the count of wherever doesn't like you'.... You're off... The world is now your oyster... Kill Dave? Kill daves liege and become daves boss? Usurp daves lands and leave him destitute? Kill Dave and marry his wife have loads of kids and call them all Dave? Ignore Dave and become more powerful another way?

TheCommandTent

Here is a helpful YouTube series that I watched when I first started.  It helped understand alot about the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMzAXqOqV5k&feature=plcp
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

TheCommandTent

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 14, 2012, 05:18:52 PM
Kill Dave and marry his wife have loads of kids and call them all Dave?

Now that is funny!   ;D

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on August 14, 2012, 03:38:08 AM
Soooo.....guess who managed to become King of Scotland?

Booyah!

Tough fight, but I think I am figuring it all out.  The key was to wait for the original king to die and then declare war with the goal of securing the Kingdom of Scotland in the war screen (missed that the first playthrough with Iceland).

Not sure what I'm goint to do next, maybe try to pick up some of those countries to the north and west.  Hell, maybe I'll try to take Iceland!

Nicely done!

The Sly Backstabbery is strong with this one.

;D

Toonces

Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 14, 2012, 05:19:51 PM
Here is a helpful YouTube series that I watched when I first started.  It helped understand alot about the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMzAXqOqV5k&feature=plcp

Yes, this was the series I watched last weekend when I finally decided to get serious about learning the game.

Like UG said, you sort of have to set your own goals for the game.  Otherwise you can just sit back and let the game run and not do anything.  For this game I wanted to try to capture most of Scotland, which I did, but the key was picking the right guy (the Duke of Moray) and then having a starting claim on the Kingdom of Scotland when the first king died. 

It's not like Total War where the game is primarily about building armies and taking things but more about diplomacy and figuring out who to marry to whom to build your dynasty and give you claims to lands that you can exploit later.  It's hard to explain actually, and I'm not sure I completely understand it. 

What really helped me was, after watching about 4 parts of that tutorial video series, was to just start playing.  Just play, try a few things and see what happens.  Really, just having the courage to press play, pick somebody, and then start clicking buttons was the key for me.  There's just no way to grasp all of the stuff going on until you let the game run for a hundred years or so.

Gusington

Thanks for the above man. I am in a bit of a rut myself now and reading 'just press play' is sparking up the old love. CKII is on my short list and the described open ended nature of the game sounds great...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd