Main Menu

ALEA JACTA EST

Started by Bismarck, August 20, 2012, 09:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

steve58

#225
There is some info (albeit somewhat confusing info) in this Ageod thread (starting around post #44).  If I read it right, it seems that future DLC will/may be compatible with both games? ??? 
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

PanzersEast

I can understand their reasoning, different time periods may appeal to different customers etc..... however, I hope they discount the stand alone for those who own AJE.  I will not pay full price for a game that is essentially another set of scenarios, no matter how much I would like to have them.


PE

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: PanzersEast on January 23, 2013, 08:59:17 AM
I can understand their reasoning, different time periods may appeal to different customers etc..... however, I hope they discount the stand alone for those who own AJE.  I will not pay full price for a game that is essentially another set of scenarios, no matter how much I would like to have them.


PE

That will be the interesting thing to find out....how they are differentiating between DLC content and stand alone products.  If the stand alone has more than just scenarios, I can understand that.  Otherwise, scratching my head.

Nefaro

I thought it a bit odd to have numerous standalones, too.  Seems like this is the latest Matrix Games trend after they picked up SOW.

It's not such a big issue with AJE, if the amount of scenarios or estimated play-time is similar to the original.  Because the original was only $20!  If that pricepoint is kept, then it probably won't bother me much - unless there isn't a comparable amount of aforementioned scenario content. 

Kushan

According to this thread over at Matrix, Birth of Rome is not standalone

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3252158

Day 1 purchase for me. I've always preferred the rise and late republican eras rather then the imperial era.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

steve58

#230
That may be old news/original intent, but both Ageod and Matrixgames just in the past day or two, have said its stand-alone.  Here is a quote from the news release at Matrixgames...
Quote
Samnites, the Senones, the Greeks and the Carthaginians were Romes first enemies and great leaders such as Pyrrhus and Hannibal fought to defend their lands. It was the start of an entire era of wars for domination, where innovation in military equipment was the key to success.

Birth of Rome is the new turn-based strategy game from Ageod (www.ageod.com) telling the story of those first epic wars that led to the unification of Italy and started Rome's quest for global domination. The game uses the acclaimed AGE engine and is developed using the game structure and mechanics of Alea Jacta Est.

Birth of Rome features five scenarios from the 3rd Samnite War in 298 and 291 BC to the long and arduous First Punic War that raged from 264 to 241 BC. Birth of Rome features a particular emphasis on fleets and sea power, as they were vital to ensure control of the seas and maritime supply. As a full standalone release, Birth of Rome does not require Alea Jacta Est.

Birth of Rome is a true simulation where players are challenged to create armies and fleets, organize and maneuver them, sustain and reinforce them. All the time taking into account military, economic, political and diplomatic parameters.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Arctic Blast


Grim.Reaper

I have cut and pasted this post from the Ageod forums which might bring some clarity.

Current Official status is simple, PhilThib has already said it:

- BOR will be a standalone game, with it's own install path, desktop shortcut, etc, and will not need AJE to work, of course.
- AJE current version is 1.02. AJE patches are NOT for BOR
- current owners of AJE, if they buy BOR, will have two games: BOR (with BOR scenarios) and AJE (with AJE scenarios)
- current available DLCs (Spartacus and Cantabrian wars) are meant for AJE
- the price of BOR will be around 20€, as it always was supposed to be, even when we planned it as an expansion

Regards

Bison

#233
This whole thing honestly annoys me.  He also said you could play the AJE DLC scenarios in BOR.  So why the hell force to seperate game file paths?  I don't really find the if people don't want AJE they can get BOR explanation to be a satisfying.  They should have just done what Matrix did with SoW and make the game either a stand alone install or an expansion install into the AJE folders.  I personally don't want 4, 5, 6 or whatever the end number of AJE base games each with a seperate file path.  Honestly it annoys me with the CMX2 WW2 series too.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Bison on January 25, 2013, 10:30:25 PM
This whole thing honestly annoys me.  He also said you could play the AJE DLC scenarios in BOR.  So why the hell force to seperate game file paths?  I don't really find the if people don't want AJE they can get BOR explanation to be a satisfying.  They should have just done what Matrix did with SoW and make the game either a stand alone install or an expansion install into the AJE folders.  I personally don't want 4, 5, 6 or whatever the end number of AJE base games each with a seperate file path.  Honestly it annoys me with the CMX2 WW2 series too.

Agreed.  If the new game has no new features which appears to be the case, this should just be an expansion.  This will become really confusing when you have different patches and dlc across all these versions.  I am sure somehow they think this will make them more money.

Bison

And it's completely silly.  People who like Ageod games are going to buy the damn thing even if the expansions are priced at the same price as the base game.  Given Matrix/Slitherine price model you aren't too likely to see AJE or BOR fall to gamersgate/steam cheap sales prices ever so I don't see any reason financially or frankly the practicality of the whole thing to publish it this way.

Grim.Reaper

Can't argue that....I am with you but I doubt they will change their strategy at this point.  Guessing fans of the game will buy either way.

Nefaro

I'd like to see them install to the same path (if they use the same engine), even if they're standalones.  There's no sense in having multiple duplicated program files in different locations is there?

I'll take it either way, however.  I want to have PhilThib's grog-baby.   :-*

Grim.Reaper

Seems like BOR is now available at the Ageod site.  I didn't fully try it myself since I am on the fence with this one.  Appears to be $24.99 USD, which I guess equals about $5 per included scenario.


http://www.ageod.com/en/45-birth-of-rome.html

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 28, 2013, 06:28:17 PM
Seems like BOR is now available at the Ageod site.  I didn't fully try it myself since I am on the fence with this one.  Appears to be $24.99 USD, which I guess equals about $5 per included scenario.


http://www.ageod.com/en/45-birth-of-rome.html

Although at the moment it appears the checkout has some kind of bug...forces you to choose a physical shipment which adds like $10 to the order...maybe they are still getting things ready.