Main Menu

ALEA JACTA EST

Started by Bismarck, August 20, 2012, 09:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mikeck

I'm a dirty little AGEOD whore...but I'm passing on this. I don't have much interest in early roman history...basically, anything pre- Punic wars. Makes me a sad panda
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Bismarck

Quote from: mikeck on January 28, 2013, 06:51:43 PM
I'm a dirty little AGEOD whore...but I'm passing on this. I don't have much interest in early roman history...basically, anything pre- Punic wars. Makes me a sad panda

For me, the early years are the most interesting as you can watch the Roman system evolve.
Jim Cobb

mikeck

Something for everyone. I am still a little perturbed that this is standalone...seems like selling packs of scenarios as DLC would be better.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

jomni

Sounds like the way John Tiller markets his games (as separate titles).

Anguille

I read this in the matrix forum...if it's correct, i think it's a good solution (afaik, this is working likewise with Scourge of War: Chancellorsville)

QuoteIt's not a DLC if that's what you mean. Birth of Rome does not require ownership of Alea Jacta Est as it is a stand alone product all by itself but if you already happen to own AJE, BOR will add its new scenarios & expand certain parts of the basic AJE game.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Anguille on January 29, 2013, 04:35:00 AM
I read this in the matrix forum...if it's correct, i think it's a good solution (afaik, this is working likewise with Scourge of War: Chancellorsville)

QuoteIt's not a DLC if that's what you mean. Birth of Rome does not require ownership of Alea Jacta Est as it is a stand alone product all by itself but if you already happen to own AJE, BOR will add its new scenarios & expand certain parts of the basic AJE game.

I am pretty certain the developers over at ageod have made it clear it is a separate install and will not automatically merge the two products together.  In fact they recently posted where they discouraged copying the scenarios into Aje since they can't guarantee they will work and might promote piracy.  Look at post 104.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?27732-BOR-First-AJE-Expansion/page4

PanzersEast

#246
As much as I want to purchase (Early Rome is every interesting, First Punic War) however I will hold off for now.....  not sure $25.00 is the right price point for 5 scenarios, maybe it is just me.



PLEASE.... give me CK2 set in the Early Rome era. 

PE

mikeck

Quote from: Anguille on January 29, 2013, 04:35:00 AM
I read this in the matrix forum...if it's correct, i think it's a good solution (afaik, this is working likewise with Scourge of War: Chancellorsville)

QuoteIt's not a DLC if that's what you mean. Birth of Rome does not require ownership of Alea Jacta Est as it is a stand alone product all by itself but if you already happen to own AJE, BOR will add its new scenarios & expand certain parts of the basic AJE game.

No, scourge merges the games. So if you owned Gettysburg already, Antietam and Chancellorsville install as add on scenarios even though that latter can be purchased as a stand alone...the way AGEOD should have done it
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson


mikeck

#249
Necro'd the $&!@ out if this thread, but just saw this at matrix:

"Hannibal: Terror of Rome is an Alea Jacta Est game currently in development, which has as its main focus the Second Punic War when Rome was threatened by the invading army of Hannibal Barca. Ageod will also be showing two other games. One of which will be announced shortly, the other one we will be announcing at the event itself."

I know I have been looking forward to this.

http://www.ageod.co.uk/news/1379/Home.of.Wargamers.-.New.Games.Revealed.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

Oh hell yes!

I knew they were gonna do one for the 2nd Punic War but I hadn't heard much about it recently.  8)

Anguille


panzerde

Excellent news! Time to dust off my copies of BOR and AJE and get back in practice.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Boggit

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 29, 2013, 05:50:19 AM
Quote from: Anguille on January 29, 2013, 04:35:00 AM
I read this in the matrix forum...if it's correct, i think it's a good solution (afaik, this is working likewise with Scourge of War: Chancellorsville)

QuoteIt's not a DLC if that's what you mean. Birth of Rome does not require ownership of Alea Jacta Est as it is a stand alone product all by itself but if you already happen to own AJE, BOR will add its new scenarios & expand certain parts of the basic AJE game.

I am pretty certain the developers over at ageod have made it clear it is a separate install and will not automatically merge the two products together.  In fact they recently posted where they discouraged copying the scenarios into Aje since they can't guarantee they will work and might promote piracy.  Look at post 104.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?27732-BOR-First-AJE-Expansion/page4
It is a separate install. There was some criticism about drive bloat with having the two games, but I understand they can be merged successfully saving unnecessary duplication of files when you come to play. IIRC, I mention this in my earlier review http://grogheads.com/?p=1824#more-1824 Philippe Malacher (Pocus) gave me a workaround for this at the time, which has worked perfectly for me. Try it. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

WallysWorld

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson