About 8,000 US troops are deploying to secure evacuations from Kabul

Started by Lowenstaat, August 12, 2021, 10:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

I heard Jen Psaki state at a press conference that there 11,000 people in Afghanistan who "self identify" as American, what ever the hell that means.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

steve58

In its budget request for fiscal year 2022, the White House included $3.3 billion for Afghan security forces to be paid out via the Department of Defense's Afghanistan Security Forces Fund.

That money would flow to the Afghan National Army, Afghan National Police, Afghan Air Force and the Afghan Special Security Forces, entities that put up little resistance as the Taliban swept across the country in just a few days.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/afghanistan-withdrawal-biden-more-spending-reconstruction

What Afghan National Army?
What Afghan National Police?
What Afghan Air Force?
What Afghan Special Security Forces?

I don't believe these entities exist anymore.  Just more US dollars to flow into the Taliban coffers.  Talk about aiding and abetting the enemy :idiot2: >:(
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Anguille

Quote from: steve58 on August 18, 2021, 08:48:12 AM
In its budget request for fiscal year 2022, the White House included $3.3 billion for Afghan security forces to be paid out via the Department of Defense's Afghanistan Security Forces Fund.

That money would flow to the Afghan National Army, Afghan National Police, Afghan Air Force and the Afghan Special Security Forces, entities that put up little resistance as the Taliban swept across the country in just a few days.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/afghanistan-withdrawal-biden-more-spending-reconstruction

What Afghan Air Force?

I don't believe these entities exist anymore.  Just more US dollars to flow into the Taliban coffers.  Talk about aiding and abetting the enemy :idiot2: >:(
I am pretty sure this was in the budget before the campaign of the Talibans to take over the country.

Gusington

The number of Americans I saw quoted on CNN was ~15,000, which I still thought was high.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Exactly what Steve said. America could've stayed in Afghanistan another 20 years as long as the Money Spigot stayed on. With it gone, the government went as well. The Afghans were never going to support a centralized, federal government with a standing National Army. The place is still predominantly tribal with ethnic and cultural ties being the glue that holds people together there. A Representative Democracy? Please, they have no desire to become that. That doesn't mean they don't care about themselves, or their future.

The Taliban should not celebrate too soon. The country they ruled over back in 2001 is a very different place today. Then almost no one had electricity, now almost the entire country has it as well as the Internet and cell phones. If Biden's statement is accurate, there are only about 75,000 Taliban fighters, and considering Kabul alone has around 5 million people living there, if they can't provide jobs and keep the lights and water on, then it may be the Taliban who collapse next and more quickly than the late Federal Government did. More likely is another long-running Afghan Civil War with the people suffering the most, as always.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MOS:96B2P

In the news:

This week, the Taliban is encouraging women to return to work and girls to go back to school, where headscarves are being handed out, according to The Associated Press. But a damning photo shows a woman in district Taloqan, Takhar province, lying in a pool of blood as her parents and others crouch around her, a pitcher on the ground nearby. She was shot and killed for going out without a burqa.

steve58

So that's where the "Afghan Airforce" went.

Hundreds of Afghan soldiers have fled over the border to Uzbekistan with dozens of US military aircraft and helicopters.  Think the Uzbekistanis will give'em (the aircraft) back?
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Anguille on August 18, 2021, 09:03:17 AM
Quote from: steve58 on August 18, 2021, 08:48:12 AM

my understanding is that there is no more money going to afghanistan.

What Afghan Air Force?

I am pretty sure this was in the budget before the campaign of the Talibans to take over the country.

pretty sure the money has been cut off.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

The opening line is a bit insulting, isn't it?  Especially in light of what the Brits, Frenchies, and Germanz are doing to get their people out of this clusterfuck.

al_infierno

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 20, 2021, 02:56:02 PM
The opening line is a bit insulting, isn't it?  Especially in light of what the Brits, Frenchies, and Germanz are doing to get their people out of this clusterfuck.

I assumed they were referring to local allies, like the Afghan president and military, but you're right that it's not particularly well phrased (and clearly written by an American  :buck2: )
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

MOS:96B2P

From the BBC:

The Taliban have stepped up their search for people who worked for NATO forces or the previous Afghan government, a document prepared for the UN has warned.  It said the militants have been going door-to-door to find targets and threaten their family members.  The hardline Islamist group has tried to reassure Afghans since seizing power promising there would be "no revenge".  But there are growing fears of a gap between what they say and what they do.
[/i]