About 8,000 US troops are deploying to secure evacuations from Kabul

Started by Lowenstaat, August 12, 2021, 10:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

not at all.  the taliban seem to be actively trying to not engage or by cause of action be engaged by allied forces.
its the smartest thing they can do.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Uberhaus

Quote from: al_infierno on August 23, 2021, 04:47:57 PM
In my eyes, it's like taking the fence off a sheep pen and then getting surprised when wolves come in for the slaughter.
Well the wolves have a core of 60000 (200000 max with supporters) https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-58187410 and there are well over 30 million sheep maybe just under 40 million. 
The timing of the withdrawal was stupid, it's fighting season, but come on over a trillion dollars (almost all by the US) has been spent on rebuilding the country and building a military.  Clearly, the people of Afghanistan aren't willing to fight for their country.  There is a resistance under Ahmad Shah Massoud's son but it is one small region.  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-58239156

Sir Slash

The Chinese Government yesterday apparently announced they would be providing Financial Aid to the Taliban saying they wanted to make a, 'Positive' contribution to the country. Strange Bedfellows indeed.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MOS:96B2P

Maybe the offer of Chinese financial aid is an effort to dissuade the Taliban from causing problems with the Chinese Uighurs Muslims?

From PBS:

At least 1 million Muslim minority Uighurs are held in Chinese government-run detention centers. There are at least 85 known centers in Xinjiang, China, ...

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

WTF? Are there really people in the world that are that stupid?? Don't answer. I can kinda sorta understand that the Americans there were trying to visit family, but still...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Damn, when I was in school the only field trips we got was to the local Cattle Breeding Research Station. And then we didn't even get to take part. With the research I mean.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

al_infierno

The students in question were visiting their families.  It wasn't just a field trip to Afghanistan for shits and grins.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/25/us/san-diego-students-stranded-afghanistan/index.html
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on August 25, 2021, 10:31:49 PM
The students in question were visiting their families.  It wasn't just a field trip to Afghanistan for shits and grins.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/25/us/san-diego-students-stranded-afghanistan/index.html

That's ballsy. I won't even visit my mom during SXSW.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Dammit Carl!

Had a co-worker (Afghani & a prior interpreter for Coalition forces) go back and get caught up in this mess; he's on his way back home as we speak, but could have been so, so much worse.

steve58

Explosion reported outside Kabul airport.

According to one US official, there are injuries among Afghans, but there is no information yet on any US casualties.

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/afghanistan-news-taliban-refugees-08-26-21-intl/h_9b945725b577ab5d934d7db9daa2d835

update: 3 US troops injured, 11 people killed in suicide attack.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Sir Slash

Gusington

Reports say this was done by an ISIS offshoot, ISIS-K, K for Khorosan...which also are enemies of the Taliban.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

Now hearing 4 US Marines were killed.  Pentagon is now saying 12 service members killed >:( >:(  60 killed in 2 bombings, including at least one car bomb.

https://www.foxnews.com/live-news/live-updates-taliban-gain-more-ground-in-afghanistan-as-they-close-in-on-kabul

https://www.wsj.com/articles/afghanistan-kabul-airport-explosion-11629976397