Back in the water!

Started by MarkShot, August 23, 2012, 02:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkShot

That's what makes someone a great forum admin ... the ability to read every post without actually reading them.  :)

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 09, 2012, 05:32:49 PM
He's only been talking about it for months!  :D

Ah. For some reason I thought he had already located to Taiwan.

Mark, would it make sense if we hosted that info here for you? It would be a shame to lose it all.

As long as it's not too much of a technical challenge we may be able to to it.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MarkShot

What are we talking about? Sorry, I must have missed something?

Those guides are out in the public domain already. They could certainly be added to the download library here. The only guide to which someone might claim rights are the HTTR and COTA PDFs as they were compilations of threads I did on the Matrix forums as part of Panther Games Beta Team. But threads were done in public forums.

MarkShot

BTW, Operation Island - the invasion of Taiwan happens on 10/23. I last lived there over 30 years ago.

Staggerwing

Quote from: MarkShot on September 09, 2012, 07:13:33 PM
BTW, Operation Island - the invasion of Taiwan happens on 10/23. I last lived there over 30 years ago.

Hey! That's also my youngest son's birthday. Hopefully that augers good fortune!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Quote from: MarkShot on September 09, 2012, 07:11:10 PM
What are we talking about? Sorry, I must have missed something?

Those guides are out in the public domain already. They could certainly be added to the download library here. The only guide to which someone might claim rights are the HTTR and COTA PDFs as they were compilations of threads I did on the Matrix forums as part of Panther Games Beta Team. But threads were done in public forums.

First and foremost I don't want your work to be lost.

If you'd like a centralized repository somewhere LMK and I'll look into it here. If you're happy with it where it is, so am I. I'm just try to ensure first and foremost that useful guides created by the community aren't lost. :)

MarkShot

On one hand, the Internet is a life saver for old games as useful material persists years after popularity has waned. On the other hand, it is too easy for key sites to just go poof.

So, whenever I get started with an old game I usually download and archive everything I can find immediately. Generally, given how storage and bandwidth has grown since their release this usually is easy to do in an hour or two. Which in the game's prime could have required days.

So, I appreciate the desire to preserve the digital art form and heritage that our games represent. I'll be sure to let you know if I need anything hosted.

After I get settled and get a new PC, I'll consider if I want to buy a current release and try my hand at a review. I am honored that you think my opinion would be worthy of consumer consideration.

LongBlade

Quote from: MarkShot on September 09, 2012, 08:30:44 PM
After I get settled and get a new PC, I'll consider if I want to buy a current release and try my hand at a review. I am honored that you think my opinion would be worthy of consumer consideration.

While I have a couple of writers with some knowledge of naval warfare, I know of no one with your depth in modern warfare. It would be great if you could write for us as your time allows.

MarkShot

DW/LWAMI

I am in a command of a 688i.  I need to attack a SAG.

TASMs are useless and previously discussed due to the perfect shield of defensive missiles.

Now, the course of the SAG is well established and I have the opportunity to get well ahead of it.

Of course, this would permit me to make a stealthy and quiet attack.  But I would like to first reduce the SAG's strength.  I think I can be, at least, one hour ahead of the SAG.  I am thinking that I could lay a field of 16 SLMMs (mines) in their path.  Move off and further ahead, then perform a close in attack of any survivors.

Well, I will need to restart the mission as I didn't load up on SLMMs, but this seems like an interest approach which I would like to give a try.  Perhaps after the mines, hit the survivors first with 16 TASMs, and then move in for torpedo shots.

Nefaro

I've rarely used the SLMMs, and never have against an oncoming surface group, so let me know how that works out.  :D

Toonces

Just because I don't know where else to post this...

I've spoken a couple of times of how I frequently surf at this spot offshore of Hickam AFB, between the reef runway and the channel to Pearl Harbor.  Well, everytime I go out there I always see something interesting- jets, subs, ships, you name it.

I was going through some of the GoPro footage I took a few weeks ago and came across this little part where the SSGN Ohio was cruising out to sea.  It's a lot closer than it looks in the picture.

It's a video grab, so it's not very clean, but you get the idea.  Note the Seal Delivery Vehicle on the back.

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

MarkShot

Gee ... I wonder what a surf board looks like on the Narrow Band Station?  :)

Toonces

Something like this:

nothingnothingnothingnothingnothingsplashsplashsplashsplashpause...sssswwwwwiiiiiiiiisssshhhhhhhhhh"AH FU..."SPLASH!!!!blubblubblubgurglegurglegurglenothingnothingnothing"dammit..."nothingnothingnothing.....
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

TheCommandTent

That is an awesome picture Toonces!
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Fun in the sun. Good for you :)