Back in the water!

Started by MarkShot, August 23, 2012, 02:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkShot

Hot dog!!!

I managed to get SHCE running beautifully on my laptop.  I guess that last time I tried it was with a much less capable version of DOSBOX many years ago!

Nefaro

Quote from: MarkShot on October 19, 2012, 08:44:08 PM
Hot dog!!!

I managed to get SHCE running beautifully on my laptop.  I guess that last time I tried it was with a much less capable version of DOSBOX many years ago!

I had the original Silent Hunter running in DOSbox about six years ago, off the CD version.  I had to copy the disc contents to my hard drive and run from there (IIRC) and lower the CPU cycles some, but it wasn't too much of a chore.  I don't recall any other notable issue, though.  What was happening with yours?

MarkShot

What a huge difference switching from DOSBOX 0.63 to 0.74 made. SHCE was unplayable on my 2004 laptop and now it plays just fine.

Seeing how much more efficient the emulation is, I now realize that I could have probably run other favorites like RTD and CaesarII.

But I am happy to have some Pacific sub action. I had a lot more hours in with AOD. So, this should be a nice opportunity. At least, finding convoys in SHCE is a no brainer. I don't feel battling crashes in AOD.

I got all docs on my iPad to review the game. I would like to patrol this weekend, but with only 4 days left I don't know if I'll find the time. Hope so.

MarkShot

The surface view would lurch and stutter. But now it is smooth full screen; 15" @ 1024x768. 

MarkShot

06/17/42   05:16 OUT – SS-212 (Gato) Northern Japan

Doing some basic control exercises as I check out the boat and the crew.  Maybe I will get on the hunt before departing - 3 more days.  (But I need to pack up the laptop in 2 days.)

I've used Kim's Mod tool mainly to put myself in a Gato class boat.  But one of the really nice things about it is that you can pick a patrol area.  This can give you some interesting options if you want to go deep water or shallow water hunting.

I suppose SHCE will be fine.  I do recall AOD did have a few bugs.  One of the more irritating ones was that sometimes your max TC could get locked at 64X.  This could make it very time consuming to get back to France.

Bison

Aren't you supposed to be flying the friendly skies and eating crappy airline food?  :D

MarkShot

Bison

Well that gives you plenty of time to eat some good food before you are forced to endure airline offerings.

MarkShot

Well, I plan to take a 48 hour break from being a vegetarian (the last six months).

Should I start at IHOP Tuesday morning with a big cheese omelet, then go over to BK for the Baconator with Cheese?  Then, end the day with a 24oz chocolate malt from DQ?  By the end of the day if I haven't induced a heart attack or a stroke, I guess I will be going to Taiwan!  :)

Nah, I think I will just have some salmon sashimi and keep it light.  Once I have arrived in Taiwan Thursday, it's back to being a vegetarian for me.  At least, there will be some real food choices eating out unlike here in South Jersey.  (If anyone is curious why the short term change ... I just cannot consume super high fiber meals and sit cramped {literally} for hours.} If you guys can raise underwear stains in my other thread, then I guess I can, at least, raise the topic of beans and gas here.)

Staggerwing

Mark, before you get on board the flight, take some Beano with your last few meals before takeoff. It actually prevents gas, unlike simethicone based products like Gas-X that just try to bind gas into larger, more passable, bubbles. It works very well because it contains an enzyme that breaks down the polysaccharides and similar complex sugars that result from digestion of fiber and other carbos. These sugars are the culprit behind the misery of expanding gas, esp. at 30,00 ft! You should be able to find it at the supermarket or most any pharmacy.
Note that it may interact with a certain diabetes medication, acarbose (Precose/Prandase?).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beano_(dietary_supplement)

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MarkShot

I know about beano. I'll be fine. I am more likely to have issues with my sinus than bowels anyway. Plan to use some Affrin. That stuff is okay for a day, but otherwise causes bounce back and dependence.

Staggerwing

True on the Afrin/Neosynephrine. I reserve it for only the worst of cases and never for more than 2 days.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MarkShot

I haven't finished reading the manual yet, but the hunt is on.  I just swapped the iPad2 for the laptop with my wife.  She may not be able to appreciate my PC gaming hobby, but sinking Japanese shipping sounds good to her!  (Remember China and Japan are engaged our a territorial dispute at the moment.)

MarkShot

06/17/42 07:30 Will patrol in the Tsaguru Strait South of Hokkaido.

MarkShot

10:47 Japanese sampans spotted – target practice!