Anyone trying Wartales?

Started by acctingman, April 12, 2023, 10:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

The Black Company you say, eh?

Dammit :/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

acctingman

I'm also hearing even on a normal difficulty this game, while entertaining, is a grind. That puts me off. I'll wait for a deep discount or when things get fleshed out a bit more.

It sure does look purdy though  :ThumbsUp:

ArizonaTank

I recently played the game after its full release. It has improved quite a bit since early release.

I didn't spend a ton of time with it, but I did get a strong open world RPG feel from it. There is a certain grittiness to it that is atmospheric.

I walked away thinking it was a good solid game, that I want to keep playing.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

W8taminute

Ok I broke down and bought the game over the weekend.  I'm about 4.9 hours into it and I like what I see so far. 

One thing I quickly learned is that for some of those really tough fights you may run into to there is an option to bribe your way out of it.  Well worth doing that when your band is just not quite up to snuff yet to take on these fights.  Those kind of fights, for me at least, have so far been few. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

BTW the game is also on sale right now to celebrate the launch...25% off, or $26.24 US. Throwing it into my cart to think about it a little more  :justice:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Gusington on April 17, 2023, 02:05:07 PMBTW the game is also on sale right now to celebrate the launch...25% off, or $26.24 US. Throwing it into my cart to think about it a little more  :justice:

If you like idea of an open world RPG that lets you manage a band of medieval mercenaries in a turn-based tactical combat setting, you really can't go wrong for that price (IMHO).
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Gusington

^I like all of the ideas you mentioned, greatly  :tophat:

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

solops

Quote from: Gusington on April 17, 2023, 02:05:07 PMBTW the game is also on sale right now to celebrate the launch...25% off, or $26.24 US. Throwing it into my cart to think about it a little more  :justice:

You just had to say that, didn't you. I got it. Now when the heck am I going to play it?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Gusington

:Party:

I have not bought it yet but may tonight.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Philippe

I bought Wartales about a year ago when there was only one area.  I played it for a while and stopped shortly after they added a second area. Overall I liked the game (with a few reservations) but decided to put it aside until it was finished (i.e. I didn't like it enough to suffer through its growing pains).

Understand that I am a big fan of the combat in Battle Brothers, but was always dissapointed in how small and repetitive the strategic game map was. I probably got Wartales because I was hoping it would fix the few things I didn't like about Battle Brothers. Early Access Wartales improved on a few things a lot, a lot of things somewhat, but had one glaring weakness that I doubt will ever get fixed. Overall it was a fairly positive experience once you got used to an annoyingly unrealistic game convention in the combat system.

At the time (and I doubt that it's changed) when you started a combat your available deployment slots were scattered all over the battle map.  There was no possibility of an advance to contact, and grouping more than one or two of your characters in any kind of formation was very difficult or almost impossible.

I'm going to wait a couple of months past the initial shakedown period before trying the game again (things always come to light in the code when thousands of new people start playing, and many of the inevitable fixes tend to break saved games). Having said all of that, I liked most of what I saw and the game is certainly worth buying at a discount.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

W8taminute

Well stated Philippe.

I do understand what you are referring to with respect to combat placement of troops.  I'm ok with how the system works in this game, maybe even forgiving that limitation to some extent.

I say that because of my absolute frustration with Battle BrothersBattle Brothers for me was an enigma I couldn't solve, despite over 40 hours of gameplay.  The majority of my time with the game was pressing restart after losing my party on the second mission on easy because I got stormed by a pack of monsters several levels above my own men.  That and the random generator of hitting the target where if the computer wants you to die you will die no matter how probable your men can hit targets. 

Wartales does not have such nonsense.  In fact I have completed the first area without losing any of my human characters, although I did lose a couple of captured wolves and boars that were in my team.  All of this on easy. 

Easy is easy in Wartales but Easy is nigh on impossible in Battle Brothers.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Silent Disapproval Robot

How's it compare to Mordheim?  I enjoyed that one quite a bit in spite of the brutal difficulty and clunky interface.

ArizonaTank

Just by chance, I happened to be reading Dan Jones' historical novel "Essex Dogs," about a company of English mercenaries fighting for the "Black Prince" during the Crecy campaign in 1346.

Dan Jones is an accomplished medieval historian, so "Essex Dogs" has plenty of gritty detail.

Anyway, "Wartales" and "Essex Dogs" synched pretty well together to get me into the mood; a great time.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

W8taminute

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 20, 2023, 04:55:07 PMHow's it compare to Mordheim?  I enjoyed that one quite a bit in spite of the brutal difficulty and clunky interface.

I don't know as I've never played Mordheim