Anyone trying Wartales?

Started by acctingman, April 12, 2023, 10:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

Curious if anyone here was playing the Early Access? It's gone live today. It intrigues me greatly, but thought I'd check here to see if anyone has played it and if so, what they thought of it.

Gusington

It's been on my list forever...maybe I, like you, will pick it up now that it is launched.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

acctingman

Quote from: Gusington on April 12, 2023, 11:23:15 AMIt's been on my list forever...maybe I, like you, will pick it up now that it is launched.

I don't buy things these days day 1 of launch. I wait for other poor saps to review games for me   :uglystupid2:

SirAndrewD

I just wish they'd do a straight remake of Darklands.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

devoncop

It has amazing Steam reviews at over 90% but apparently it scales so if you recruit lots of mercenaries as you can do the mobs you face get much bigger. That may bother you or it may not.

Like Gus it has been on my wishlist forever but I have yet to jump in.

Be aware it has quite tough survival mechanics with a need to pay your band every 3 days and money and food being quite hard to come by after the first easier region (there are now 6)

No random maps btw.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

Additionally, and I just remembered this - Northgard (also by Shigo) was less than kind to me.

I wonder how similar the gameplay is here and if it can be equally as frustrating.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

I've got it. It's pretty cool, but haven't spent a lot of time with it yet.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

glen55

I played it a fair bit a few months back but eventually I hit a wall where I had to find a key to the next region and it was just really blasted hard. The game is hard overall once you get past the beginning and has mechanics that promote acceleration once you start going backwards. It was fun up to that point but ultimately frustrating. I'll pick it back up at some point but I'm going to give it some time to mature first.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

devoncop

Just to be fair to Wartales the 30th March and release day updates have changed things very much for the better.

There are now options to play with or without scaling difficulty and the admin burden of paying your band now takes place every 3 rests rather than every 72 hours which was less easy to keep track of.

Love the face you can take a cannibal perk and at a pinch eat your fallen comrades when things get desperate (so remember to loot their dear departed corpses :grin: )

May have to give this one a go.

Not only has a lot been added but the Dev team seem super responsive and a lot of further development and dlc's are planned.

W8taminute

I've got my eyes on this game as well.  The only thing keeping me back is the fear that Wartales will end up like that game Battle Brothers.  Insanely difficult just for the sake of being difficult. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

glen55

Quote from: W8taminute on April 13, 2023, 08:03:00 AMI've got my eyes on this game as well.  The only thing keeping me back is the fear that Wartales will end up like that game Battle Brothers.  Insanely difficult just for the sake of being difficult. 

Ditto. Battle Brothers is great fun for a while and then your group gets wiped. Maybe some Dark Souls expert or other people that love insanely difficult games get puzzle out the way to obtain some kind of long-term success, but it's past me.

I had a little more success with Wartales, although it did take quite a few playthroughs to get to the point where I'm supposed to go to the next area, but I tried a few times to get there the only way I could figure out and got summarily disposed of each time.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

GeneralHawk

Owned since Early Access, waited to really play until full release. Spent the last few days with it non-stop. Fantastic gameplay. Real sense of ownership over your company.

Real echoes of The Black Company (Glen Cook).

Everything I have experienced gives me sense of incredible amount of deep emergent gameplay, replayability, and fun.
Gundog for life
D Co 2-35 IN
3 BDE 25th ID
OEF/OIF

devoncop

Quote from: GeneralHawk on April 13, 2023, 05:05:37 PMOwned since Early Access, waited to really play until full release. Spent the last few days with it non-stop. Fantastic gameplay. Real sense of ownership over your company.

Real echoes of The Black Company (Glen Cook).

Everything I have experienced gives me sense of incredible amount of deep emergent gameplay, replayability, and fun.

Great to hear !

Thanks for the impressions .

Grim.Reaper

I am so conflicted...some posts make it sound good, but then I look at reviews and some are luke warm:)  Very tempted...

Sparhawk

I've given it a go several times and really do enjoy the mechanics. My problem is it turns into a grind just to be able to provide food. There are skills that alleviate this but not enough for me to enjoy everything else going on while trying to keep everyone from a mutiny. The battles are great fun though.