The Friday thread Labor Day edition

Started by MetalDog, August 31, 2012, 06:20:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

Mind you, I think my decleration on war on Ratty was a tad premature, and that he has more assets around that first town than I was aware of. Poor tactical decision on my part, and a distinct lack of recon!

However, it did serve to distract him somewhat and pull some stuff in my direction. No sacrifice is too great in the cause of the Triumvirate.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Arctic Blast

Quote from: bob48 on September 01, 2012, 07:13:43 AM
^I've been following the Sergents game, and it does look very interesting, especially the diceless combat system. Plenty of nice looking components, and the figures really rock, especially since they are pre-painted. The main thing thats holding me back is its suitability for solo play, and the fact that its quite expensive.

I'm interested to get your thoughts on the game though .

Had a chance to play some last night.  I'll start a thread up in the appropriate forum with some thoughts, and maybe add to it if needed as I play more over the weekend.

bob48

'Clip those corners'

Arctic Blast

Quote from: bob48 on September 01, 2012, 01:09:35 PM
^Cool - I really like the look of it.

Done! Check the Wargaming subforum.  ;D

bob48

'Clip those corners'

Silent Disapproval Robot

Just spent a few hours playing Iron Front 1944 with the SimHQ guys.  The online play is great! 

Martok

I'm down in SE Minnesota visiting friends & relatives all weekend, so no gaming for me.  Will play through my PBEM campaigns in Armada 2526 when I return, but that'll probably be it. 

Quote from: Anguille on September 01, 2012, 08:22:58 AM
I forgot to mention Madagascar with my son...it's actually really fun. 8)
Awesome!  Glad you guys are having a good time.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Arctic Blast

I ended up finally starting up The Walking Dead yesterday. I was going to wait until all 5 episodes were out, but the Hell with that.

So far, I'm really liking it. One incredibly weird part, though...the news reporter didn't understand that a radio needs batteries to function? Or how to properly put said batteries in? Was one of the writers going through a particularly messy divorce with a reporter or something?  :)

MetalDog

Played an entire game of CKII as a Count in Ireland.  Had two strapping sons and two daughters.  As I was going to enjoy my dotage, both sons died in their twenties and left me with no playable heirs.  My game ended in 1109 Anno Domini.  Going back in for more now.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm about 40 years into my game as a Count of Ireland.  As usual, nothing's happened.  I've got my minion out trying to fabricate claims but nothing's come of it so far.  I married off the son to a Danish princess and once he took over the throne, I got called to a war in Lubeck.  By the time I got there, it was over so I just sailed back and had to deal with a pissed off vassal because the troops were gone too long.

Other than that, I just keep trying to win over my bishops so I can collect tax money instead of having them fling it at the Pope.  I'm pretty sure the game's just messing with me over this issue.  I had a 35 point popularity deficit to overcome with the first guy.  Granted him a title, paid him some cash under the table and had my council member from the pointy hat-and-Jesus-cookie brigade go and sweet talk him.  Took a few years but I finally won him over and, to reward me, he promptly took up the Cathar cause.  Off to the clink with him.  Had to win over the second one so I repeated the process and got him up to the point where he'd pay taxes to me and then the Count died and his son took over.  This God-walloper really didn't care for the son at all, so once again, it took several years and lots of gold to win him over and once I did, he up and died.  His replacement wasn't too unkindly disposed to the son so I was able to win him over fairly quickly, but then he too took up the Cathar cause so it was off to jail for him.  The 4th guy was a repeat of the first two, several years to win him over and then the Danish wife goes and has him snuffed.  Stupid cow...

Gusington

^It sounds like CKII really is a solid historical RPG, like the box claims. I am eager to see how the combat is represented, even if it is abstracted. Do most campaigns involve a lot of waiting around though?

Also, I am thinking I may put The Witcher 2 aside for when I am in a more fantasy-type mood. It's just not grabbing me like I hoped it would, especially after playing Skyrim.

I think I may revisit Thief 3...oh yes...lurking in the shadows, running from guards and ghosts and demons...SWEET.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Huw the Poo

Gusington

You mentioned that Friday...why though? I know nothing about it. WHY HUW WHY??

I am sort of satisfied that I am making my way through titles I bought last month during the Steam sale, even if some are disappointing me (Witcher 2).

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

It took me the better part of twelve hours to get where I was.  There was a lot of waiting around.  You can speed up the clock, so it goes quicker.  There are periods of intense activity followed by long stretches of waiting for something to happen.  The combat has no input from you other than point your troops in the right direction and let'em go.  On the whole, I like it.  But, I'm pretty sure you are more action oriented.  Or at least need to be involved doing something all the time.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob