The Friday thread Labor Day edition

Started by MetalDog, August 31, 2012, 06:20:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on September 03, 2012, 07:58:33 PM
^You typed 'demense.' You get a cookie.

As long as he didn't pronounce the 's'. And it's spelled 'Demesne'...  :P

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MetalDog

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 03, 2012, 05:34:11 PM
Weird.  Two of my vassals (an Earl and a Lord Mayor, I think) went to war with each other in my demense and I didn't really see any options for me to step in and stop it.  Any ideas what to do in this case.  Oh, and naturally enough, the claim in a neighbouring county that I'd been pushing for for 50 years finally paid off, just in time for my two nitwits to whittle their levies down to nothing so I had no troops to raise to press my claim.

My vassals didn't go at each other, but my current game had me pressing my claim in Connacht with mercs while I sat back and watched.  Then a mystery army came in, Meath and attacked Tyrone as I was moving the mercs in position to take that over.  Of course, Tyrones troops came in to my county, Breifne and I had to raise the levies to eject them.  After dismissing the mercs, who had finished off Tyrone, Meath invaded Tyrone pressing a claim and my newly installed vassal and his barely extant troops, had to hold him off.  THAT's when my friend from Cali called and asked me to get online for Civ IV MP.  First time I seriously considered telling him, "No."
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Kushan

Started a game as Matilda I of Tuscany. I've taken Pisa, and am trying to get a claim on Piombino. I was tempted at the beginning of the game to try and succeed from the HRE. Since every one of those had failed I'm really happy I didn't. Never realized just how big of armies the HRE Emperor can throw around. I've seen at least two 5,000+ armies marching around along with a number of smaller ones. If I have any hope of forming the Kingdom of Italy and successfully succeeding then I'm going to need to conquer all of Italy in order to have a chance.

Now if only my duchess would have more kids....the 1 heir I have makes me a little nervous.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

MetalDog

After the dust died down, I spent the next five years or so fixing the place up.  Munster came out of nowhere and trounced Tyrone, who didn't vassal to me, and absorbed.  Shortly after that, a claim was fabricated by Meath on my County of Breifne and they choose to use it. Thankfully, they haven't declared yet.  Which is a good thing because my Count, Aed, went over a railing and fell to his death.  His heir, my new character, was ten.  I survived my regency and am married to a newly come of age Countess of the southernmost county in Ireland.  Figured that would get me a claim and some help if things go south before I can unite the Emerald Isle under my guidance.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

undercovergeek

Depending on your crown authority vassals can go at it all day long or can't even say boo to a goose over the garden fence.... The less authority the more freedom... Meaning if your liege increases authority you can't declare wars either too!

If you look in the ledger I think hre start with around 15k troops at their disposal.... Not funny

Silent Disapproval Robot

Where do you find crown authority and how do you improve it?

undercovergeek

Away from game at mo but I'm sure its in laws.... The little gavel at the top of the ui.... There's no guarantee the vassals will go for it and they certainly kick off if they're not happy.... I had many crown authority wars as king of Leon

MengJiao

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 03, 2012, 02:22:33 PM
you can set up your armies before a battle and load the flanks with leaders that have good martial skills, heavy cavalry and such, then load the middle with your main martial and a crap load of pikemen and get involved with the initial set up - but once the battle starts youre a spectator. In recent patches theyve attempted to take away the get there with the mostest, firstest strategy - you can win a battle in which youre outnumbered if you take the time to set up the armies right - or you can go with 3 times as many men and just batter your way through.

I suppose the only issue is this is further down the line when youve managed to influence your army set up by building specific buildings in the provinces - some people go horse and archers only, some a mix

The fighting can be pretty absorbing.  I was once a Persian on SUPER EASY and managed to beat about 5000 Turks with 3200, but it was tricky.  Eventually the Turks turned up with 8000 and that was that.

On the other hand, somewhere in Central France in about 1076, the Royal Army of about 800 was ripped apart by about 700 peasants.
I blame the King who was kind of a non-entity.  I'm sure he did something silly.