HistWar Napoleon Version 6

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 11, 2023, 07:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Thought I would never see further progress on this game, but looks like they are starting to release information on the next version.  Good timing with the new Napoleon movie coming out soon, likely to further gain interest.  But I am not going to get too excited yet as there isn't any information on release date and if past history is an indicator, the date and actual release will be very unpredictable.

Seems like they will be releasing parts of information each day, so stay tuned to their site.
https://www.histwar.net/single-post/tutorial

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 11, 2023, 07:21:31 AMThought I would never see further progress on this game, but looks like they are starting to release information on the next version.  Good timing with the new Napoleon movie coming out soon, likely to further gain interest.  But I am not going to get too excited yet as there isn't any information on release date and if past history is an indicator, the date and actual release will be very unpredictable.

Seems like they will be releasing parts of information each day, so stay tuned to their site.
https://www.histwar.net/single-post/tutorial

Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, Histwar came so close to being the ultimate Naploeonic battle simulator. The attention to historical detail with uniforms, units, formations, tactics etc. has never been matched in computer game land. At the same time, the game was marred by a wonky UI and AI that pretty much stuck to its original battle plan, no matter what was happening on the field.

Then there was the weird marketing... versions, levels, etc.  Was always very hard to figure out what exactly you were buying and what you would get.  Patching was almost a nightmare equal to Battlefront's CMx2 mess.

Ultimately, the bad parts meant that I did not play as much as I really wanted to.

So this announcement does not help me think that any of that has changed. I really am not going to wait for this.

But I would so love to be proven wrong. It would be wonderful if Histwar becomes the Napoleonic game of my dreams...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Grim.Reaper

Today's post on visibility....

Destraex

I would prefer it if scourge of war waterloo updated their terrain graphics and I would be happy with that.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Grim.Reaper

For me it's not one over the other, certainly like the SOW series and will buy the new version if/when it ever comes out.  But also interested to see how HistWar has improved, but based on past history, certainly less optimistic.

JasonPratt

Well, I think we heard earlier that SoW was going to be remade or revised or something? So we'll see. Even the various modder fixes to the user interface have been...... attempts which include some success? Better than the original but they don't really overcome the original problems.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

I can't believe how long HistWar has been around.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Gusington on November 12, 2023, 04:04:35 PMI can't believe how long HistWar has been around.

Yep. Back when I was a 'reviewing kind of guy' I did a "recon" of the soon to be released Histwar for Armchair General.  That was 2006.

http://armchairgeneral.com/recon-histwar-les-grognards.htm
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Destraex

Star Citizen may beat it to the punch.  :Party:
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Grim.Reaper

Grim.Reaper

Skoop

I own this, now lets see if I can track down the install files and get updated to version 6.  This game could be great if the 3d engine and effects / animations were better.  Still very authentic looking, might have to give it a try.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Skoop on November 29, 2023, 10:05:46 PMI own this, now lets see if I can track down the install files and get updated to version 6.  This game could be great if the 3d engine and effects / animations were better.  Still very authentic looking, might have to give it a try.

Version 6 not out yet, this is preview material