Quebec Election

Started by MIGMaster, September 04, 2012, 06:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIGMaster

Any guesses on who will win ? Given the widepsread corruption of the government contract process, I figured big business would keep Charest in power ?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/09/03/f-quebec-election.html

Barthheart

Big business certainly does not want the PQ in power with their separatist rhetoric and beefing up of Bill 101.  :P

How they get any support at all is a mystery to me. I mean, sure the rural uneducated farming populous get sucked in by all their wacko promises but they have to know that they just can't afford to go it alone....

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Barthheart on September 04, 2012, 06:59:30 AM
Big business certainly does not want the PQ in power with their separatist rhetoric and beefing up of Bill 101.  :P

How they get any support at all is a mystery to me. I mean, sure the rural uneducated farming populous get sucked in by all their wacko promises but they have to know that they just can't afford to go it alone....

And more to the point, why would they go it alone? As things stand, they get massive amounts of transfer dollars funding basically everything they want anyway.

Bison

I enjoyed my drive through Alberta.  Fairly free of French signs for the bathroom at gas stations.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Arctic Blast on September 04, 2012, 10:26:12 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on September 04, 2012, 06:59:30 AM

And more to the point, why would they go it alone? As things stand, they get massive amounts of transfer dollars finding basically everything they want anyway.

Mass delusions can be fun!

On a certain level, I can respect Quebec though.  They don't like the direction things are going in Canada with free trade and selling out the future prosperity of the country in favour of short term gain so they want out.  Thing is, I think that too much of their manufacturing base has already been dismantled for them to make a go of it and still maintain the level of social services they desire.  I really don't think most realize just how much they get from Ottawa.  Oh well.  I'm not fussed either way.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Bison on September 04, 2012, 11:09:30 PM
I enjoyed my drive through Alberta.  Fairly free of French signs for the bathroom at gas stations.

You must have not come near Beaumont. They're 100% French & English.

Fun fact that proves we're a bunch of rubes in Alberta : I live in Leduc. The high school here and the one in Beaumont had an actual, years long running feud. Like every year as the fair rolled in to town, a mob of high schoolers from each town would show up and rumble. It was like the goddamn Outsiders or something.

MIGMaster

GDS_Starfury

Canadistan has elections?!

I thought you had kings and queens and princess stuff.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Centurion40

Quote from: MIGMaster on September 05, 2012, 06:50:38 AM
Wow....things got pretty ugly !

http://thechronicleherald.ca/canada/132664-bathrobe-clad-man-62-identified-as-shooting-suspect

Great.  A 62 year-old wing-nut in housecoat sure knows how to make Quebec politics even more interesting.

Police say Richard Henry Bain from Mont Tremblant is the suspected gunman who left a 48-year-old man dead and another man critically wounded outside a Parti Québécois election victory party last night.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2012/09/05/mtl-pq-victory-rally-attack.html
Any time is a good time for pie.

Windigo

minority government. Good luck with the separatist agenda
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

MIGMaster

I was thinking they may ban bathrobes.... they're clearly linked to gun violence.

Windigo

Quote from: MIGMaster on September 05, 2012, 08:08:25 PM
I was thinking they may ban bathrobes.... they're clearly linked to gun violence.
bathrobes don't kill people
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.