Main Menu

Civilization VII

Started by steve58, June 07, 2024, 11:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

CJReich46

Quote from: Gusington on August 21, 2024, 07:58:22 PMThank you Steve...Memoriapolis, yes! Terrible name but cool looking game.
Interesting... :tophat:
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

CaptainKoloth

#62
Been looking at the trailer and some of the coverage... sigh. Civ IV and Civ II are two of my top three favorite games of all time (Alpha Centauri being the third, which is arguably the "true" Civ III). And I can't even raise an iota of enthusiasm for this.

Does anyone remember when Civ was a deep, rich, highly moddable, thought-provoking PC game, rather than a DLC-laden mass market multiplatform game coming soon to a PS4, PS5, Xbox, PC, and Switch near you with pre-order Day 1 bonuses and pay-for-unlockable early access? :/

al_infierno

Quote from: CaptainKoloth on August 22, 2024, 10:33:20 PMDoes anyone remember when Civ was a deep, rich, highly moddable, thought-provoking PC game, rather than a DLC-laden mass market multiplatform game coming soon to a PS4, PS5, Xbox, PC, and Switch near you with pre-order Day 1 bonuses and pay-for-unlockable early access? :/

Add a broken base launch that becomes a complete game over time, and sounds like Paradox to me!   :hair:
I was waiting for a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

FarAway Sooner

I actually appreciate the changes to Civ VII.  I haven't followed the series closely since IV, as most of the stuff I read made it sound like "the same mathematical concepts with different window dressing", but these changes do seem downright significant to me!

Maybe I'll wait a year after the initial release gets patched and a DLC or two release (so they discount the original game) before I take the plunge!

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on September 02, 2024, 02:01:05 PMI actually appreciate the changes to Civ VII.  I haven't followed the series closely since IV, as most of the stuff I read made it sound like "the same mathematical concepts with different window dressing", but these changes do seem downright significant to me!

Maybe I'll wait a year after the initial release gets patched and a DLC or two release (so they discount the original game) before I take the plunge!

V was really different in many ways. It did make some positive changes, but in my view of the world (which, granted, is just my own) the mass gaming media "discovered" Civ during the Civ V era and that's when it started to get really dumbed down and closed off (from a modding perspective, which used to be one of the pillars of Civ) and "consolized".

steve58

Opening cinematic...

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

Deluxe and Founders editions will be early access available starting tomorrow...if you want to pay more $$.   All editions available on Feb 11.


Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

Reviews are out.

IGN rated it good, giving it a score of 7, but there was a lot of complaining about overly streamlined mechanics and gameplay. This concerns me. Civilization has never been that complex to begin with.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Senex

I downloaded it from Steam today and played about an hour.  As I expected, some features added, some dropped, some the same.  Loads faster than C5 or C6.  Crashes on exit, though.

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Senex on February 06, 2025, 06:05:25 PMI downloaded it from Steam today and played about an hour.  As I expected, some features added, some dropped, some the same.  Loads faster than C5 or C6.  Crashes on exit, though.

I will, obnoxiously, quote myself:

Quote from: CaptainKoloth on June 07, 2024, 05:35:58 PMAt risk of sounding throughly old,  grumpy, and groggy, Civilization has become so "mass-marketized" that, while I-IV remain among my very top games of all time, I can't even whip up the enthusiasm to watch the trailer for VII.

solops

Quote from: CaptainKoloth on February 06, 2025, 06:30:29 PM
Quote from: Senex on February 06, 2025, 06:05:25 PMI downloaded it from Steam today and played about an hour.  As I expected, some features added, some dropped, some the same.  Loads faster than C5 or C6.  Crashes on exit, though.

I will, obnoxiously, quote myself:

Quote from: CaptainKoloth on June 07, 2024, 05:35:58 PMAt risk of sounding throughly old,  grumpy, and groggy, Civilization has become so "mass-marketized" that, while I-IV remain among my very top games of all time, I can't even whip up the enthusiasm to watch the trailer for VII.
+1
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin
Bless those who heal our injuries.
Customer support by AI is evil.

bobarossa

I'll do you one better; I didn't even watch the trailer for VI!

I did thoroughly enjoy V but didn't like the way you had to buy two dlc's to get the full feature set that was standard in IV.  Of course I didn't get V until it was heavily discounted because VI was nearly out. Maybe I should look for discounted VI now.

Anguille

I am in no hurry and will wait a couple of years before buying it (like i did with Civ 5 and Civ 6 btw). It seems to me that the start is a lot roughter than with Civ VI.

steve58

#74
So apparently there will be a VR version of Civ VII.  Coming Spring 2025.

https://www.ign.com/articles/firaxis-makes-surprise-sid-meiers-civilization-7-vr-announcement
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)