HoI IV advice and recommendations needed

Started by greengiant, June 23, 2024, 03:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greengiant

Hey you beautiful people, been a while since my Iwo Jima AAR thread.

I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a tutorial or tutorial series to help teach me how to play HoI IV? The in-game tutorial is rather Spartan. There are so many on Youtube and my time is rather limited, so if you have a recommendation for someone you know does a good job teaching I'd be most appreciative.

On another note, I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a naval wargame?

Rule the Waves 3 made it to Steam a while back and it's been on my wish list for sometime, but perhaps there are other recommendations out there? I could kick myself for not remembering to wish list a title I spotted a few days ago. II forget the title now, but the dev has already released a hex and counters grand WW2 game a while back, and they just followed up with a release that focuses on the naval aspects. But yeah, forgot to wish list it and now I can't recall the name! GAAH!

Anyways, hope you are all doing well!

Jarhead0331

Ian C is one of our experts on HOI IV. Hopefully, he'll see this and chime in. In the meantime, we have a bunch of HOI threads, but this one seems to be the longest running.

https://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=16963.msg689231#msg689231

There are so many great tutorial series videos on YouTube, I'm certain some of them have to be linked in that thread. Check it out.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

devoncop

Hi GG

The game you forgot to wishlist MAY be Strategic Command Pacific Theatre ?

Bill Hubert who develops the Strategic Command series did a World at War version a while back as well as WW1 and West Front versions.

I have not played the Pacific game but traditionally the naval game has been the weakest element in the series so it will be interesting to see if this is in any way sorted.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

greengiant

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 23, 2024, 04:39:17 AMIan C is one of our experts on HOI IV. Hopefully, he'll see this and chime in. In the meantime, we have a bunch of HOI threads, but this one seems to be the longest running.

https://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=16963.msg689231#msg689231

There are so many great tutorial series videos on YouTube, I'm certain some of them have to be linked in that thread. Check it out.

Thanks Jarhead, I've been going over that thread and already discovered a ton of helpful info.

Quote from: devoncop on June 23, 2024, 05:28:51 AMHi GG

The game you forgot to wishlist MAY be Strategic Command Pacific Theatre ?

Bill Hubert who develops the Strategic Command series did a World at War version a while back as well as WW1 and West Front versions.

I have not played the Pacific game but traditionally the naval game has been the weakest element in the series so it will be interesting to see if this is in any way sorted.

Ah yes, I admit that that title is already on my wish list (as are almost all the other SC games), but the good news is I did find what I was looking for; the series is called War Plan, and the new one is War Plan Pacific. I wonder if anyone here has given either a bash yet?

Back to Strategic Command series, the one thing that bugged me no end (especially the massive amount of land each hex typically represents in the SC games) is no counter stacking allowed. I had an opportunity to play test SC WW2 and that specific feature bugged me no end, which is a pity because the SC games are gorgeous!

solops

Quote from: greengiant on June 23, 2024, 03:48:47 AMI forget the title now, but the dev has already released a hex and counters grand WW2 game a while back, and they just followed up with a release that focuses on the naval aspects. But yeah, forgot to wish list it and now I can't recall the name! GAAH!

Destiny of the World?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

greengiant

Quote from: solops on June 23, 2024, 12:07:58 PM
Quote from: greengiant on June 23, 2024, 03:48:47 AMI forget the title now, but the dev has already released a hex and counters grand WW2 game a while back, and they just followed up with a release that focuses on the naval aspects. But yeah, forgot to wish list it and now I can't recall the name! GAAH!

Destiny of the World?

It was War Plan and War Plan Pacific; not actually as new as I thought (WP:P came out 2 years ago). But thanks!

Ian C

The thread Jarhead quoted is a good start.

This looks to be the most recent and in-depth tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIY632rOtuKBW7-K9PDZZeaIfLWej_7Ji

Shorter but out of date for some more recent DLC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_uCwrt-LkA&list=PLs3acGYgI1-v2rWyEDR8Mn3Avf9CxH1s1

glen55

I don't really know where a good tutorial is but I got much better results after I started cheating. It really wasn't indiscriminate cheating, either. Not quite....

https://hoi4.paradoxwikis.com/Console_commands
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Ian C

The official current complete beginners guide:

Tripoli

Quote from: greengiant on June 23, 2024, 07:02:56 AMAh yes, I admit that that title is already on my wish list (as are almost all the other SC games), but the good news is I did find what I was looking for; the series is called War Plan, and the new one is War Plan Pacific. I wonder if anyone here has given either a bash yet?

I've played a bit of War Plan.  It is a pretty good game.  It has a little bit of the the old "3rd Reich" boardgame vibe to it.  The naval game is a little bit underdeveloped, but overall I like it.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Tripoli

One other thing: If any Grogs are interested, I'm actually looking for a friendly/light PBEM game of War Plan.  I'd be willing to play either side. 

nelmsm

Quote from: Tripoli on July 10, 2024, 06:20:36 PMOne other thing: If any Grogs are interested, I'm actually looking for a friendly/light PBEM game of War Plan.  I'd be willing to play either side. 

If I can take a few days to refresh myself on the rules and make sure I'm up to date patch wise I'd give you a game.  Say starting on Monday?

Tripoli

Quote from: nelmsm on July 10, 2024, 08:13:50 PM
Quote from: Tripoli on July 10, 2024, 06:20:36 PMOne other thing: If any Grogs are interested, I'm actually looking for a friendly/light PBEM game of War Plan.  I'd be willing to play either side. 

If I can take a few days to refresh myself on the rules and make sure I'm up to date patch wise I'd give you a game.  Say starting on Monday?
I'm good with that.  I'll send you a DM and we can work out the details

Ian C

These are a really good source for tutorials. Typically 10-15 mins per video and to the point, full of info:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFkhGrDp_yRsMw9Zu8hZ3Pm86300KcF1i