Rally the Troops! -- a free gaming engine site hosting Andean Abyss!

Started by JasonPratt, June 28, 2024, 09:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

ArizonaTanks (Larry) and I, along with some friends, have been getting into a free gameboard engine site called Rally the Troops, where fans of various board games use the engine to simulate tabletop games -- mostly 2 player so far, and only 20 games (since this hasn't been around nearly as long as VASSAL for example, and requires a lot more scripting than Yucata much less Tabletop Simulator).

But one of those games is a fan favorite around here, GMT's Andean Abyss!

Working on two separate games right now, one a 4p with AzTank. Interface is very slick, pretty clean, no obvious bugs so far, and can be played live or asynch. No AI, of course -- if you're going to play solo, you'll need the charts anyway, and TTS would be a better choice if you don't want to bother putting your copy on the table. Rules don't seem available on site, but can be found at GMT naturally.

Whoever GMT has got working on trying to create digital versions of their catalog (which is evidently very slow going), they could stand to take notes on how this adaptation's dev has done it so far.

Here's the main site page, which also shows the 20 available games (so far): https://rally-the-troops.com/

Of course, if anyone knows or finds out anything scurvy about the site, post promptly! My Avast hasn't given me any obvious trouble. (I qualify that because I just realized got a couple of odd pings while working on a completely unrelated doc file shortly after signing up and starting to use the site. No obvious connections to the site, but no obvious connections to what I was doing in the old doc file either.)

The game list so far is respectable!

300: Earth & Water

Algeria

Andean Abyss

Crusader Rex

Field of the Cloth of Gold

Friedrich

Hammer of the Scots

Julius Caesar

Nevsky

Pax Pamir

Plantagenet

Red Flag Over Paris

Richard III

Rommel in the Desert

Shores of Tripoli

Table Battles

Time of Crisis

Votes for Women

Waterloo Campaign 1815

Wilderness War
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ArizonaTank

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 28, 2024, 09:21:04 PMArizonaTanks (Larry) and I, along with some friends, have been getting into a free gameboard engine site called Rally the Troops, where fans of various board games use the engine to simulate tabletop games -- mostly 2 player so far, and only 20 games (since this hasn't been around nearly as long as VASSAL for example, and requires a lot more scripting than Yucata much less Tabletop Simulator).

As Jason said, great site for anyone interested in these types of board games. And it's free...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Phantom

Being an Andean Abyss fan I'd already come across this - it gets highly reviewed - with players suggesting using RTT to learn the rules of a game as, if you have the rulebook but are unsure or rule is ambiguous, RTT enforces the rule in the correct manner.
I'd agree that I'd like to see more board games implemented in this way - there are a few, for example I play Twilight Struggle & Labyrinth on the Steam/PlayDek iterations & they're both very good.

nelmsm

I'd be up for a game if anyone is interested in starting an Andean Abyss game. nelmsm

ArizonaTank

Quote from: nelmsm on June 30, 2024, 02:29:59 PMI'd be up for a game if anyone is interested in starting an Andean Abyss game. nelmsm

I created a game and invited you ("nelmsm").
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.