Quote from: Longdan on January 10, 2013, 06:08:05 PM
Those are really cool but if a couple or three Shermies get a rear shot
or somebody lands a PIAT bomb on your achilles heel you are out a pair
of slippers.

Heh.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

undercovergeek

Quote from: LongBlade on January 10, 2013, 07:26:40 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 10, 2013, 06:07:32 PM
ninja'd by Bob

i know he was looking for a pair of those LB

if one day youre out in the mall and you see some old man limping towards you, looking like hes had years of kitchen implement abuse - its Bob, hes come for the slippers!

Heh.

My sister knits, but these are crochet. She had someone make them for her. Apparently the woman will hire out, but wants a pound of flesh for them. I haven't spoken directly to her, but my sister says she's probably looking for somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 (nowhere near what my sister paid, but I think this woman knits professionally).

So, if you know someone who crochets you can buy the pattern online and send that to them.

that pattern right there is going to be Mrs Bobs next birthday present, you know that dont you!?

And after shes made me a pair she can make bob a pair

TheCommandTent

That is awesome LB!  I showed those to my wife and she gave me that "you're kidding me right?" look.  ;D
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Longdan

How do you keep those 88's sticking out?  Do you show it woolen panzer pr0n?  Little naked woolen T34's?
Gotta ask Star.  He would know.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

LongBlade

Quote from: Longdan on January 10, 2013, 07:48:00 PM
How do you keep those 88's sticking out?  Do you show it woolen panzer pr0n?  Little naked woolen T34's?
Gotta ask Star.  He would know.

Ha!

There's some kind of straw or dowel in there.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bob48

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 10, 2013, 07:32:41 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on January 10, 2013, 07:26:40 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 10, 2013, 06:07:32 PM
ninja'd by Bob

i know he was looking for a pair of those LB

if one day youre out in the mall and you see some old man limping towards you, looking like hes had years of kitchen implement abuse - its Bob, hes come for the slippers!

Heh.

My sister knits, but these are crochet. She had someone make them for her. Apparently the woman will hire out, but wants a pound of flesh for them. I haven't spoken directly to her, but my sister says she's probably looking for somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 (nowhere near what my sister paid, but I think this woman knits professionally).

So, if you know someone who crochets you can buy the pattern online and send that to them.

that pattern right there is going to be Mrs Bobs next birthday present, you know that dont you!?

And after shes made me a pair she can make bob a pair

Nods.

Shakes head.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Martok

Awesome gift, LB!  Color me a little jealous. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

ComradeP

1) I tend to play tactical missions over and over until I don't lose any men (or at most an absolute minimum). I don't cheat in the sense that I make myself stronger or the enemy weaker, I just play missions over and over until I don't lose individual units. I do that for RTS games as well, and it can be a real challenge.

On the other hand, I can play strategic wargames normally and, even though I'll also try to minimize losses, I really feel the effect of "the death of one man is a tragedy, the death of a million is a statistic". It's a completely different thing if you see a tank brew up on your screen, with the crew trying to get out, or if you lose "2000 men, 2 guns" in an attack.

Of course, the problem of having difficulty with losing virtual men doesn't apply to multiplayer, even though I'll always try to minimize losses (and maximize those of the enemy).

2) The main thing I don't get about the way wargame developers design their games is that so many tend to lose themselves in the little details and ignore big things like logistics or the UI. I don't care about graphics, but I prefer to play games with a UI that has evolved beyond the 1990's. I don't have much of a problem with Tiller's work for some reason, however.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

donkey_roxor

I've never been able to get into tactical wargames.

I love playing WiTP though.

Bison

Quote from: donkey_roxor on January 12, 2013, 11:36:03 AM
I've never been able to get into tactical wargames.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  HERESY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack Nastyface

...I call myself a grognard even though I have three unpunched Avalon Hill games (Flight Leader, WS&IM, Source of the Nile) but my copies of Car Wars, D&D, and Boothill are thoroughly ragged from extensive play.

In my defense this is the 2nd copy of WS&IM...the first having been lost in the Great Yard Sale War of 1986 whilst I was away at University.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Longdan

My Mom had one of those and sold c.800 Marx plastic soldiers when I was overseas.
She wondered why I did not want to come home.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Longdan on January 12, 2013, 02:11:06 PM
She wondered why I did not want to come home.

Perhaps she's more shrewd than you realise. ;)

Longdan

She should have figured in the fact that now she is getting decrepit
she needs me around and I have a resentment about them soldiers.