Master of Command Seven Years War

Started by Destraex, October 27, 2024, 09:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Destraex

#30
Quote from: PAK on October 12, 2025, 07:03:44 AMForgot about one thing - is display scrolling during battle fully implemented in battle? I couldn't rotate camera and was only able to move it using keys, not mouse.
There was a bug that was fixed with a patch today that now allows some camera twisting with Q and E keys. However due to the 2.5 rather than 3D nature of the game, a very limited traverse is available. I think I got about 45 degrees left and right of my units with the camera twist.

Another point that may help, is that border edge scrolling is a toggle option I enabled but have not tried yet.

I would also point out that, during the seven years war, I am not sure it would be unusual to separate an army to lodge it and therefore have it dispersed before concentrating it again. Especially during winter. But wondering about with a small brigade and taking on these "garrison" or "billetted" troops piecemeal seems like folley to me. However considering this is highly entertaining as a "chevauchee" so to speak, with a lot of period flavour. I still prefer it to disjointed context free singular historical battles. You could just suspend any disbelief by pretending each enemy brigade is a separate army, a little like napoleon trying to separate and defeat his enemies piecemeal.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

devoncop

Hi

I gave some incorrect info re units firing through others yesterday and since checked as I was not noticing and friendly fire casualties.

The correct answer is actually pretty smart.

If a unit overlaps another and is slightly ahead of it so for instance only halftheunit can see the enemy...only the half of the rear unit fires if the enemy is in range which explains the lack of friendly fire . Nice touch.

Artillery round shot and howitzers can fire over friendly troops by the way but cannister fire cannot.

I also got overwhelmed by a Russian Army on the final battle last playthrough. Just about to take on another one in the final battle of my second attempt but expecting defeat !
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Destraex

Quote from: devoncop on October 12, 2025, 11:26:31 AMHi

I gave some incorrect info re units firing through others yesterday and since checked as I was not noticing and friendly fire casualties.

The correct answer is actually pretty smart.

If a unit overlaps another and is slightly ahead of it so for instance only halftheunit can see the enemy...only the half of the rear unit fires if the enemy is in range which explains the lack of friendly fire . Nice touch.

Artillery round shot and howitzers can fire over friendly troops by the way but cannister fire cannot.

I also got overwhelmed by a Russian Army on the final battle last playthrough. Just about to take on another one in the final battle of my second attempt but expecting defeat !
Yeah. In that case, the only thing not to like really is field artillery firing over line troops. Field artillery should be exposed in front of between line troops if it wants to fire. Apart from that and that I have noticed troops firing through hills (at the rear of a plateau firing through the front of it).
Another thing of note is the classic Frederick the Great switching of troops behind terrain, you could never do that in this game as I don't think either the terrain or sight system would allow it?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

devoncop

Fair points...

Some fog of war like in Field of Glory 2 would have been nice too but it is what it is...I think that would be more important in a free movement Campaign layer but as this game does not have that it is maybe less of an issue.

I still find the battles much more satisfying than those in Total War and I think they hit the sweet spot for me in how long they last and the fact that total wipeouts don't occur like they do in Total War.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Destraex

Quote from: devoncop on October 12, 2025, 11:00:14 PMFair points...

Some fog of war like in Field of Glory 2 would have been nice too but it is what it is...I think that would be more important in a free movement Campaign layer but as this game does not have that it is maybe less of an issue.

I still find the battles much more satisfying than those in Total War and I think they hit the sweet spot for me in how long they last and the fact that total wipeouts don't occur like they do in Total War.
I agree. I have not played total war in many years apart from going back and trying the odd battle to remember why I left it. Master of Command battles with all their customisation of troops and naming of units as well as the painting them is the sort of advancement total war should have had by now. Instead we got gamey mechanics that more control the player rather than expand the players imagination and ingenuity. Total War became more concerned with soap opera stuff than it's core combat elements supported by the campaign map for context. The wider audience policy I think killed it for me, they wanted more players and probably figured they already had all the wargamers. Why do more for the wargamers?? You have them already.

But yes Master and Command has hit the spot for me like a total war game has not for a long time. A new period and new mechanics. Even with it's clear limitations it is still better than total war with it's cookie cutter battles and simplistic clunky interface and graphics.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

Well. The game is now out on steam. Hopefully it is popular.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

undercovergeek

Quote from: Destraex on October 27, 2025, 11:27:10 PMWell. The game is now out on steam. Hopefully it is popular.

So the 'maybe I'll support the game for 3 months' timer starts now?

devoncop

Quote from: Destraex on October 27, 2025, 11:27:10 PMWell. The game is now out on steam. Hopefully it is popular.

It is an absolute masterpiece of design and an addictive blast to play .

Currently rated at 92% positive on Steam and it is evident that the battlefield AI has been beefed up from the already decent demo AI such that my Prussians took a real hammering to ignominious defeat in my first attempt at the full Campaign even on an a casual difficulty.

Notably whereas the AI in the demo would invariably march towards you allowing you to camp in heavy cover , now if it has artillery superiority or a better position it uses that advantage to play more defensively.

Maps are much bigger and more varied and the entire uniform of each of your units is customisable in its name,flag and uniform.

What it also does quite frankly is to show up Creative Assembly and their Total War series as simply arcade like and braindead battlefield AI.

Surprise hit of the year.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Destraex

Quote from: undercovergeek on October 28, 2025, 01:54:30 AM
Quote from: Destraex on October 27, 2025, 11:27:10 PMWell. The game is now out on steam. Hopefully it is popular.

So the 'maybe I'll support the game for 3 months' timer starts now?
I grabbed it. The game was designed to be finished. Rather than a live service supported forever. Just like the good old pre-internet days. I grabbed it. Because for me the demo was pretty polished already unlike his last game.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

devoncop

Second run got beaten in the final battle of the first Act to a Russian force after a 20 minute epic which was in the balance until the AI unleashed it's fresh Cavalry reserve of a Curassier/Dragoon Brigade which smashed into my wavering infantry line.

Very impressed.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

CJReich46

Been out of work for a while, so back to working and I am so happy this came out. I plan on getting it.

 :ThumbsUp:
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Destraex

Quote from: CJReich46 on October 28, 2025, 02:48:00 PMBeen out of work for a while, so back to working and I am so happy this came out. I plan on getting it.

 :ThumbsUp:

Good to hear you are back on your feet CJ. At the moment 3 battles in and I am still having fun. However enemy artillery is damned accurate, which I think they will fix in a patch soon.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on October 28, 2025, 11:45:21 PM
Quote from: CJReich46 on October 28, 2025, 02:48:00 PMBeen out of work for a while, so back to working and I am so happy this came out. I plan on getting it.

 :ThumbsUp:

Good to hear you are back on your feet CJ. At the moment 3 battles in and I am still having fun. However enemy artillery is damned accurate, which I think they will fix in a patch soon.

Agreed. Consistent hits from start to finish. The AI seems to prioritize protecting it too.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Destraex

P.S. I love that equipping musicians means you can zoom in and hear the instruments. Immersion is oozing from this little indie game.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

I like it,  but I don't see it as a "Total War" killer. Total War innovated and started a gaming revolution. It was doing things that few games ever did before. It was never intended to fully cater to grogs but was meant to have wider appeal. Virtually all titles in the series are broader in scope and scale than MoC and I don't think it's a fair apples to apples comparison.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18