US Ambassador to Libya and 3 staff members killed

Started by Bison, September 11, 2012, 02:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bison

Quote from: Steelgrave on September 12, 2012, 05:04:25 PM
In an odd connection, one of the staff killed yesterday was a gamer:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/09/12/diplomat-killed-in-libya-to-fellow-gamers-assuming-dont-die-tonight/

I saw this too Steelie.  Speaks volumes about the connections and friendships that can be made in virtual communities.

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on September 12, 2012, 05:13:06 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on September 12, 2012, 05:04:25 PM
In an odd connection, one of the staff killed yesterday was a gamer:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/09/12/diplomat-killed-in-libya-to-fellow-gamers-assuming-dont-die-tonight/

I saw this too Steelie.  Speaks volumes about the connections and friendships that can be made in virtual communities.

Somehow that makes it just a little bit worse.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

What do you mean LB?  That the guy a feeling that something was not right just a few hours before the attack?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Bison on September 12, 2012, 05:27:30 PM
What do you mean LB?  That the guy a feeling that something was not right just a few hours before the attack?

I think he means, it's worse because he was "one of us."  And I agree...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


LongBlade

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 12, 2012, 05:30:21 PM
Quote from: Bison on September 12, 2012, 05:27:30 PM
What do you mean LB?  That the guy a feeling that something was not right just a few hours before the attack?

I think he means, it's worse because he was "one of us."  And I agree...

Thanks. That's it. It gives me a slight personal connection to him and makes me feel just a bit more involved than I was before.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

Yeah that's true.  I cannot get over the fact that he seemed to know something was awfully wrong with local contracted security photographing inside the compound.  See R&P I linked a report to Congress expressing extreme concern over using local security as a cost cutting measure in hostile areas for diplomatic conclaves.  The report was given over 2 years ago.  While not directly addressing Lybia it direct addresses the fact that issues were seen elsewhere and basically ignored. 

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on September 12, 2012, 05:39:58 PM
I cannot get over the fact that he seemed to know something was awfully wrong with local contracted security photographing inside the compound. 

I heard a report - and haven't heard it repeated - on TV today that indicated that one of the local guards apparently directed the attackers to the correct house. :/
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 12, 2012, 04:07:16 PM
^Who would want to "govern" these ingrates anyway? Seems the only people who are capable of governing them are those sadistic few megalomaniacs who have absolutely no reservation about engaging in murder, torture, blackmail and threats to stay in power. 

It was an apalling, barbarous act, but I don't think the perpetrators represent all, or even most, Libyans or Muslims. Just as the nut in Norway or the whacko in Ohio don't represent all Christians.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

LongBlade

I'm guessing they represent more than a fringe in Libya. Remember that a large majority of fighters in Afghanistan come from Libya.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Steelgrave

Quote from: mirth on September 12, 2012, 06:06:46 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 12, 2012, 04:07:16 PM
^Who would want to "govern" these ingrates anyway? Seems the only people who are capable of governing them are those sadistic few megalomaniacs who have absolutely no reservation about engaging in murder, torture, blackmail and threats to stay in power. 

It was an apalling, barbarous act, but I don't think the perpetrators represent all, or even most, Libyans or Muslims. Just as the nut in Norway or the whacko in Ohio don't represent all Christians.

I agree....somewhat. Yet in country after country, there never seems to be a shortage of volunteers to storm an embassy, riot, or put on a bomb vest and blow up a school bus. I suspect that the number is larger than we should feel comfortable with.

Bison

I'm not too sure its an action based on fringe rhetoric either.

Staggerwing

Dollars to Donuts, I'll bet you those mobs were salted with well trained ringers from East of Mesopotamia with a fondness for silly parade uniforms.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Steelgrave

^I'm not taking that bet. I can't say that my momma didn't raise no fools, but it wasn't me.

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 12, 2012, 06:25:52 PM
Dollars to Donuts, I'll bet you those mobs were salted with well trained ringers from East of Mesopotamia with a fondness for silly parade uniforms.

Color me skeptical on that one. Remember there's still a Sunni/Shia divide. I'm guessing this one is all Sunni.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Quote from: LongBlade on September 12, 2012, 06:52:27 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on September 12, 2012, 06:25:52 PM
Dollars to Donuts, I'll bet you those mobs were salted with well trained ringers from East of Mesopotamia with a fondness for silly parade uniforms.

Color me skeptical on that one. Remember there's still a Sunni/Shia divide. I'm guessing this one is all Sunni.

Remember- Those Qudsies are probably wired to play the long game. Various mullahs have stated that committing small offenses against Islam such as going undercover and consorting with 'undesirables' including those whom might consider the agent provocateurs to be schismatics are acceptable if done as part of a greater plan to uphold Allah. These guys could have been in Libya for years getting set up in place. One can't assume that all the Sleepers are in Western countries. Hard core Wahhabi gang bangers also probably take a pragmatic approach to working with Iranian Shia operatives as well. After the influence of Western groups (and their money...) has diminished then the strongest standing can commence to bashing away at each other to assume control of the remaining mess. In their eyes all that Western rebuilding money is just another impediment. It's a lot easier to recruit from the dirt poor, frightened, and ignorant than from the fed, hopeful and educated.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys