More Chinese Pet Poison

Started by LongBlade, September 14, 2012, 07:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

LongBlade

Dog treats this time.

QuoteAt least 360 dogs and one cat reportedly have died in the U.S. after eating chicken jerky pet treats made in China, even as claims of illnesses tied to the products have topped 2,200, federal veterinary health officials said.

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/14/13865945-pet-jerky-treat-death-toll-360-dogs-1-cat-fda-says
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

steve58

Damn them, just damn!  >:(

Getting to the point where I need to make sure I just buy pet products made in the U.S.A.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

junk2drive

I avoid China products as much as I can but I wonder what gets put into stuff made elsewhere that might come from these kind of suppliers.

Keunert

chinese manufacturers are in capitalist heaven. exploiting the workforce, intellectual property and they do not have to bother with any standarts at all. Action Jack would feel at home there.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

LongBlade

Quote from: Keunert on September 15, 2012, 09:29:09 AM
chinese manufacturers are in capitalist heaven. exploiting the workforce, intellectual property and they do not have to bother with any standarts at all. Action Jack would feel at home there.

Meh. It's not capitalist heaven. It's anarchy. Remember, they don't have a guaranteed free press to spread info about this. That's the first order of business around these parts.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Our news media isn't so 'wholsome' anymore either now that news is bought and sold like a certain processed meat product, complete with fillers, artificial preservatives, unacknowledged toxic byproducts, and a slick package that's designed to make it all but impossible to read the list of ingredients or determine their provenance.


But I do agree with your point when one compares the two countries' 'fifth estates'.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 15, 2012, 12:25:03 PM
Our news media isn't so 'wholsome' anymore either now that news is bought and sold like a certain processed meat product, complete with fillers, artificial preservatives, unacknowledged toxic byproducts, and a slick package that's designed to make it all but impossible to read the list of ingredients or determine their provenance.


But I do agree with your point when one compares the two countries' 'fifth estates'.

The good news is that, as the network news agencies and traditional print media have abdicated their integrity we have cable and internet news sites picking up the slack. The system still works. But it takes a bit of effort to break old habits.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

DennisS

My cat died of kidney failure two months after all this came out. I researched, and yes, the Iams cat food I purchased and fed her, for YEARS, was on the list.

I would have, at that moment, cheerfully taken a baseball bat to the head of the Chinese company that added melamine to that food, to artificially boost the protein count. I would have seriously f*cked that guy up. I am STILL angry over this.

LongBlade

Quote from: DennisS on September 18, 2012, 09:30:34 PM
My cat died of kidney failure two months after all this came out. I researched, and yes, the Iams cat food I purchased and fed her, for YEARS, was on the list.

+1

My cat died a couple of months after the news of this first broke a few years ago. Of kidney failure. He was 14. Not young, but probably could have lived longer.

The Chinese have screwed us on so many levels that it's difficult to keep track. We have a long list of grievances with them, of which this is just one of the more personal ones.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Arctic Blast

But we LET them keep doing this. And I'm not even talking about government getting tough and blah blah blah...I mean that we are so desperately gleeful to get everything we can for insanely cheap prices that we don't think about WHY this stuff tends to be so cheap. Until it turns out to be crap.

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

W8taminute

Quote from: steve58 on September 14, 2012, 08:19:35 PM
Damn them, just damn!  >:(

Getting to the point where I need to make sure I just buy pet products made in the U.S.A.

I always check the labels when buying pet food.  That goes with anything else made in China as well.  What is really disturbing is that they are catching on and therefore a lot of products don't even list where they were made.  You then have to check who is the distributor. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

steve58

Quote from: W8taminute on September 19, 2012, 12:31:13 PM
Quote from: steve58 on September 14, 2012, 08:19:35 PM
Damn them, just damn!  >:(

Getting to the point where I need to make sure I just buy pet products made in the U.S.A.

I always check the labels when buying pet food.  That goes with anything else made in China as well.  What is really disturbing is that they are catching on and therefore a lot of products don't even list where they were made.  You then have to check who is the distributor.

Yup, we try to buy stuff made in the USA as much as possible.  We feed our cats Blue Buffalo brand food.  Expensive, but its made in the US and its good quality.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 15, 2012, 12:25:03 PM
Our news media isn't so 'wholsome' anymore either now that news is bought and sold like a certain processed meat product, complete with fillers, artificial preservatives, unacknowledged toxic byproducts, and a slick package that's designed to make it all but impossible to read the list of ingredients or determine their provenance.


But I do agree with your point when one compares the two countries' 'fifth estates'.


lol
Its true!
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Mr. Bigglesworth

You think any value priced human food is better?
Stick to all natural food, no processed packaged stuff.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598