Latest Wargaming Acquisitions

Started by TheCommandTent, September 15, 2012, 09:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

NW'68 is a good,fun game. I know it's start as NW'78 was a bit iffy to say the least but Mark saw past it and is now making money from it.

It plays faster than WaW even.

ArizonaTank

One of the local game clubs just had their annual charity auction / sale for wounded warriors.  Picked up Liberty Roads with Operation Roundhead expansion.  White Dog's Duel of Eagles and We Shall Fight them on the Marne.  An old copy of AH's Submarine (in excellent shape...looks brand new) and COA's Landships!.  Compass Games' Storming the Reich.  Topped off with L2's Grand Fleet and Avalanche's Great War at Sea, Russo-Japanese War.  All in all some great games, at great prices for a good cause.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

bayonetbrant

Sounds awesome!

Want to give us a mini-review of Duel of the Eagles when get a play-through?  Would love to run one on the front page :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 25, 2014, 03:42:17 PM
sounds like a good trade

that said, given the history of NW'68, I just don't know that I'd ever support it, even though Mark has brought it "in house"

What's the backstory?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Barthheart

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 26, 2014, 06:33:37 AM
sounds like a good trade

that said, given the history of NW'68, I just don't know that I'd ever support it, even though Mark has brought it "in house"

What's the backstory?

Short version:

They guy who created NW'78 blatantly ripped off Mark Walker's World at War system and tried to market it. Instead of suing the guy's ass off Mark convinced him to redesign it and sell it from LnLP as NW'68.

Nefaro

That's actually a nice story.  Seems to have worked out okay without getting lawyers involved.

Nefaro

I recently picked up the latest edition of The Sword of Rome.  I wanted a grand strat set in the period, but without a terribly large amount of counters or heavy rules.  Each faction having somewhat different styles and cards seemed just the thing.

It sounds well-liked.  Obviously so if GMT decided to reprint it with a fancy mounted map and expansion rolled into one.

Another grand strat CDG I've been eyeing is The God Kings from Compass Games.  Looks like the same style of point-to-point and CDG mix but it's obviously heavier all-round.  The rules are also supposedly a bit too vague about some things but there is probably some updated FAQs and such.  My main interest is due to the ancient bronze age setting.  It will probably lose out to A Most Dangerous Time (Sengoku Jidai) because the latter looks pretty bitchin' and reviews tend towards a big thumbs-up.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Barthheart on March 26, 2014, 07:04:26 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on March 26, 2014, 06:33:37 AM
sounds like a good trade

What's the backstory?

Short version:

They guy who created NW'78 blatantly ripped off Mark Walker's World at War system and tried to market it. Instead of suing the guy's ass off Mark convinced him to redesign it and sell it from LnLP as NW'68.

Great outcome!

If the game system is that flexible has Mark though about expanding it to other genres such as ancients or hard scifi or even classic fantasy?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 27, 2014, 05:24:17 AM

Great outcome!

If the game system is that flexible has Mark though about expanding it to other genres such as ancients or hard scifi or even classic fantasy?

I thought they already offer some sci-fi stuff, along with the flavor of the decade zombie setting?

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Nefaro on March 27, 2014, 02:18:12 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on March 27, 2014, 05:24:17 AM

Great outcome!

I thought they already offer some sci-fi stuff, along with the flavor of the decade zombie setting?

yes, but not using the W@W system.

All Things Zombie is a man-level skirmish game, and Space Infantry is a sci-fi solo game.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 27, 2014, 02:24:04 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on March 27, 2014, 02:18:12 PM

yes, but not using the W@W system.

All Things Zombie is a man-level skirmish game, and Space Infantry is a sci-fi solo game.

I see.

Hrmm.  I'm not sure how popular such things would be since the fairly tradition hex & counter wargames are mostly popular for the historic period and weapons used.  I mean.. that's why I enjoy playing them - for the historic connection I can envision while playing. 

Tinkershuffle

I've been searching for an operational level game which has depth but is yet playable. A lot of great things has been said about A Victory Lost (which is now sold out), so I decided to go with the sequel, A Victory Denied. I'm really anxious to get that on the table.

MengJiao

Quote from: GroggyGrognard on March 05, 2014, 05:42:04 PM
^Nice acquisitions. I bought battle pack #2 myself a few months ago along with battle pack #3 (Normandy) and the Med expansion. I almost went with the Paratrooper pack when I was trying to decide between it or the Normandy pack.

Groggy

I bought some Combat Commander.  What a swell game system!  But now on to other things:

a Modified battles of the Age of Reason to unreasonably cover the Sambre-et-Meuse of late 1794 (using Lobositz...will get photos)

Bought a small pile of GMT air games (Elusive Victory, Burning Blue and Nightfighter) so some of that will be appearing in some form around here soon.

Nefaro

I toyed with the idea of picking up Elusive Victory but it would probably be one in which I read the whole manual and never quite get it to the table.

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on April 29, 2014, 04:31:20 PM
I toyed with the idea of picking up Elusive Victory but it would probably be one in which I read the whole manual and never quite get it to the table.

I usually sort of scan the manual and then set up a small solitaire battle (the one I recall from my first go at Elusive Victory was an attempt to bomb an Egyptian Patrol boat).  Then the rules turn out to be more or less surprising when the details start coming out.

So, yes, this would be my second or third copy of Elusive Victory, but the real score was a "used" Burning Blue for under 40 bucks (package deal on ebay).  In general I prefer to buy used games because they are often packed with unexpected goodies (clipped counters!  Storage boxes!  Photocopied rules versions etc. etc.).  But we will see.  In theory used games could be a bit disappointing -- though this has not happened to me yet in the case of used games printed in the last few years.