Norbsoft's New Publisher - Slitherine

Started by Bison, September 18, 2012, 03:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Well the good news here is that perhaps the DRM will be changed for the betterment of everyone.  It doesn't change the ill feelings that Norb festered over time towards his developement house.

http://www.matrixgames.com/news/958/Slitherine.and.NorbSoftDev.Ink.Publishing.Deal

Bismarck

Jim Cobb

TheCommandTent

Do you think this news will signal any improvements in the game or is it just a new distribution platform?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Quote from: TheCommandTent on September 18, 2012, 06:59:01 PM
Do you think this news will signal any improvements in the game or is it just a new distribution platform?

Slitherine has money. Norb knows history and builds good games. Depends on whether they use their talents or squander them. The signs are good, but as with all things only time will tell.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bismarck

Quote from: TheCommandTent on September 18, 2012, 06:59:01 PM

It's about distribution, not quality.  Norb stole the rights of the engine from his dying partner. Slytherine doesn't mind that; the game sells well.
Jim Cobb

mikeck

I dont mind either.. its a great game and I'm not the ethics police. Happy to see it will be available to a wider audience. Can't wait for his Chancellorsville addon.  I also don't eat dolphin safe tuna nor do I care about Apple Inc.working conditions in China.  I'm not trying to be overly sarcastic as I get the apprehension, but every thread about this game ends up in a discussion about Norb's eithics.

That aside, this game is the best tactical simulator of 19th century warfare around, hands down.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Tuna

I just hope this means the DRM disappears.. I Never play it due to it being a pain in the ass!

Ubercat

I don't get why every thread about Nazi Germany devolves into a discussion about their ethics. They had the best army in the world at the time, hands down.   :P
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

jomni

Quote from: Tuna on September 18, 2012, 07:36:53 PM
I just hope this means the DRM disappears.. I Never play it due to it being a pain in the ass!

This is what I am betting on.  Slitherine and Matrix don't do online activation.  All of their games use the simple serial key.  Now we don't want this NorbSoft game to change the tradition right?

Tuna

I paid full price right when it came out.. I should be able to play on both my laptop and desktop without jumping through hoops...

Bismarck

Oh well, if DRM is your main concern, have fun.
Jim Cobb

Gusington

I thought mikeck was the ethics police. Damn.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on September 18, 2012, 08:10:48 PM
I thought mikeck was the ethics police. Damn.

It's not an easy thing to do: *great* game. Dubious pedigree. Norb, not Mike. ;)

FWIW, JD told me there was another side to that story, and that he had helped Norb break away. I can't speak to the facts of that side of the issue, though as some of you know I have my own history with JD.

I still play Slitherine's games and praise them when it's justified.

Sometimes Life gives us a gray area and we just have to muddle through.

MIGMaster

You guys watch - it'll only be a matter of time before Slitherine/Matrix implements some more complex DRM system. I can just feel it.

LongBlade

Quote from: MIGMaster on September 18, 2012, 09:06:45 PM
You guys watch - it'll only be a matter of time before Slitherine/Matrix implements some more complex DRM system. I can just feel it.

Well, to be fair, Matrix's DRM scheme is a serial number. They have (or had) one of the most lenient policies in the industry. *Any* change will be a shift to a more draconian side. The question is whether it's reasonable or not.