Main Menu

A new Elite game

Started by Zulu1966, November 06, 2012, 04:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu1966

"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

steve58

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll have to check it out...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Keunert

They rely a bit too strong on the reputation of the game. there are no vids, no screens nothing besides text.
that's not much of an effort if you ask for 1.25 mio
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Zulu1966

"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

steve58

Quote from: Keunert on November 06, 2012, 07:30:43 AM
They rely a bit too strong on the reputation of the game. there are no vids, no screens nothing besides text.
that's not much of an effort if you ask for 1.25 mio

Well he's definitely got some history with that type of game (Elite and Frontier: Elite II), but I agree, ~$2,000,000 to start and the buy in price seems a bit high at ~$32, ~$80 just to be part of the beta...the 2nd round!  I'd like to see more before I took the plunge...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Zulu1966

Yeah - some of the reward tiers look a bit odd - different prices for same reward. Never been a fan of paying to get a beta access. Why should I pay to help them make sure their game isnt a steaming pile  - they should be gratefull for my help.

Zulu1966

I see the £5000 reward level is sold out. Man - I thought the world was supposed to be screwed financially ?

Mind you - coming from someone who did this  ...

The original "Elite" fitted into around 22K of memory, out of a total of 32K on the BBC Micro Model B computer on which it was launched (8K was needed for the screen, 2K for the system). This is less than a single typical email today. In it were eight galaxies each with 256 star systems. Each planet in those systems had its own legal system, economy and so on.

It may be something special.

spelk

Save your money and buy Evochron Mercenary instead. :)

Nefaro

I certainly enjoyed Elite back in the day.  But, as mentioned, I dunno what to think of a new one.  It sounds great, theoretically. 

But what's with all these retro remake kickstarters wanting millions of dollars before they even start?  It's been making me very wary, especially as the targets keep going up.  Something bad will happen in kickstarter world, and it'll be a damn shame when confidence is ruined.  Mine already wavers.

Wolfe1759

With the amount of games that have been released over the last 12 months that sounded great in theory and were going to be the next big thing (particularly in the 4X genre) or the successor to a classic and then turned out to be somewhere between unplayable and a huge disappointment I've forsworn pre-orders let alone kickstarters.

It seems very easy to make something sound or even look fantastic with a whole list of brilliant features, it seems very very very difficult to actually deliver on what is promised or expected.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Huw the Poo

Yeah, I have yet to back a single Kickstarter (although I wish I'd backed FTL now).  It's difficult not to be excited about a new Elite though, obviously.  However I also agree that a page without a single screenshot is taking the piss.

Plus it won't be out until March 2014 (so perhaps by the end of 2014 if we're lucky).  My enthusiasm is definitely tempered at this point.  I'm sure I'll get more excited as time goes by.

Zulu1966

Quote from: Nefaro on November 06, 2012, 12:02:42 PM
I certainly enjoyed Elite back in the day.  But, as mentioned, I dunno what to think of a new one.  It sounds great, theoretically. 

But what's with all these retro remake kickstarters wanting millions of dollars before they even start?  It's been making me very wary, especially as the targets keep going up.  Something bad will happen in kickstarter world, and it'll be a damn shame when confidence is ruined.  Mine already wavers.

Well, yes and no. to me that is the unique thing about kickstarter. When things go bad no one loses a huge amount of money - so people dont get scared in the same way a publisher might if he has sunk in millions of dollars.

Secondly - the recent relaunches I have seen on kickstarter have been by the people who made the originals - personally I think that bodes well for the prospects of the games being good and delivered. These people made games people still talk about today in 32k of memory, there is a reason people still talk about them.

I dont think this is the same as say XCOM - although a great game in its own right.

I think the elite kickstarter is the only one I have seen with that little content - and I think its trading on peoples memories and reputation. Secondly - the other remakes such as total anihilation and baldurs gate have not only met their targets but far exceeded them so there is obviously demand for them.

Lastly - I think kick starter removes the publisher pressure to release. The notable failures of late are due to pressure to release before they are ready. I think kickstarter removes that pressure if the people mamage what they have raised properly.

Personally if I put 20 bucks down on a game that is sheduled for release in 2014 and it doesnt appear I am not going to be that pissed. I prefer that to developers flogging games they know are broken before they release.

Nefaro

That's correct.. it's just off-loading investment risk to the end consumers.  The model has it's advantages, but there is also plenty of room for abuse and where there's opportunity to make big bucks with no guaranteed outcomes, people will eventually start abusing that trust.

I think it's great that these oldies are getting funding directly from the people who want them.  It certainly allows for flexibility, and a chance to get it right as opposed to "get it out".   Right now it's raining wonderful, but how long will that last before a project goes under or is still forced to release before it's done?  Or releasing a supposedly "finished" version, then re-releasing it with all the previously needed updates a year later, at full price?  Cutting promised features should be expected, which is fairly common in the industry, along with these other examples?

I would have to tell myself that whichever one I funded, out of nostalgic love, wouldn't turn out as wonderful as the proposal and certainly couldn't rival that nostalgia.  And that I may have to buy-in a second time in the future, for an updated version, too.  I'm a jaded gamer, I suppose, but between regularly poor/rushed releases and charging full prices for re-releasing them shortly afterward, and some of the frustrating DRM schemes, the industry has made me that way.  Oddly enough, it's fortunate that the recession has pushed much of it into low priced sales, so that has in turn driven me to wait most of them out quite awhile after release.  I just don't get all that excited about them pre-release lately, and I was always a huge game purchasing addict in the past.  It's almost cured me of my weakness for constant game impulse purchases on release, and I'm thankful for that, despite the depressing expectations for upcoming titles.     :-\

Sorry for the rant.  I just saw the $1.3 Million kickstarter target and realized how financially large these things are getting, and when such things get so big on promises I expect some drama, somewhere.  Wasn't there some other recent kickstarter aiming for two or three million?!  :o

Huw the Poo

At least one project I know of has already failed, incidentally, after having been fully funded.  It does happen.

Nefaro

Quote from: Huw the Poo on November 07, 2012, 01:39:54 AM
At least one project I know of has already failed, incidentally, after having been fully funded.  It does happen.

I guess that I'm just concerned about this route being used to fleece people out of a quick load of cash.  It's obviously an open opportunity for such.  I'm not seeing the creator of Elite is going to do that, in this example.  Just that it will happen, and with increasing frequency, once some less scrupulous characters decide to cash out early.