Battle Cry of Freedom

Started by TheCommandTent, November 13, 2012, 08:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

The guys who developed M&B: Napoleonic Wars are attempting to make a large American Civil War game. 

From the announcement

QuoteWe are very happy that we have finally come to the point where we can announce our next project. The new game, which has the working title "Battle Cry of Freedom" is going to be a standalone title developed by our team alone. We are already in full process of developing the game.

Set during the exciting era of the American Civil War, players will immerse themselves in unique and rewarding tactical gameplay based on two teams fighting each other.
Utilising a wide range of weaponry, from long range rifled muskets and devastating artillery, to various deadly close combat tools such as bayonets, knives and muskets, players will take up the fight for the North or the South trying to win the day on the bloody battlefields of America.

The game will feature a large amount of players simultaneously fighting each other on the same battlefield in a completely destructible and realistic Civil War combat environment, rendered in beautiful up-to-date graphics. Our best efforts will be taken to ensure "Battle Cry of Freedom" provides highly enjoyable and balanced gameplay for the best American Civil War experience the market has to offer.

More about the game.

QuoteBasic Description:

Battle Cry of Freedom, brings brutal real-time first and third person combat set in the 19th Century America, presenting players with the opportunity to re-fight the American Civil War as either the Union or the Confederates. A wide range of Troop Types, ranging from the common soldiers to musicians and artillery, all with their own purpose and tasks. Also make sure to check out our FAQ here.

Core Planned Features:

Massive multiplayer battles with 500+ players.

Historically accurate representation of the Confederate and the Union troops, Uniforms and weapons.

A wide range of artillery pieces ranging from field cannons to mortars, capable of firing explosive shells, all fully controllable by players

Deploy Barricades, trenches and even explosives with the Engineer class.

Special musician units with drums, fifes, fiddles or trumpets, able to play historically accurate tunes; all recorded and played by award winning musicians

Real Civil War background music

A broad selection of warcries such as the rebel yell.

Integrated 3D voice chat

A completely destructible environment. Players can destroy anything, bottles, fences and even buildings.

A selection of historically accurate maps, such as the Battle of Gettysburg, Antietam etc.

An advanced melee system.

http://www.fsegames.eu/index.html

Seems like quite an ambitious project, but I wish them the best of luck.  A multiplayer battle of 500+ could be very fun if it could be done in an organized fashion.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Slick Wilhelm

Boy, that does sound ambitious. I hope they succeed, as it sounds like it could be a lot of fun. The proof will be in the pudding, no doubt.

TheCommandTent

The early screenshots look nice.  I just can't imagine getting that many people in on a game who would work together to actually have some semblance of a battle instead of everyone just running around solo.  Unless each player gets a small command of AI soldiers.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Nefaro

M&B Napoleonic has been some of the most fun I've had in a first-person shooter, in a long time. 

I hope this one turns out well.