Main Menu

Win7?

Started by MarkShot, November 20, 2012, 09:45:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkShot

2013 - will be the year we finally say goodbye to XP Pro SP3 32b.

I don't want to run Win8.  I count there are six editions of Win7.  I am somewhat confused as to what edition would be best for gaming and home networking?  Pro, Ultimate?

Now, for a new gaming PC I guess I will be going 64 bit to take advantage of more RAM.  But I also have 3 older PCs (DOB ranging from 2007 to 2009).  As these are 4Gb older PCs, I was thinking of going with the 32 bit version of Win7.  Does that make sense?  Any reason to go with the 64 bit version?

Thanks.

LongBlade

I'm running Win 7 Home  Premium 64-bit. Works great.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Shelldrake

Quote from: LongBlade on November 20, 2012, 09:46:46 AM

Same here on my gaming laptop - no issues encountered.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

bob48

Me too. No problems.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Shelldrake

My desktop rig is still running XP SP3 so it will need an upgrade to Win 7 in the very near future.

I found this software which claims to add all old programs back after the upgrade. Does anyone know if it works as claimed?

http://ww2.laplink.com/pcmover/pcmoverupgradeassistant.html
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

eyebiter

If you plan to use the Windows 7 XP mode, get the Windows 7 Professional or above.  M$ won't let you download it with Windows 7 Home Premium.

junk2drive

I did the $40 upgrade to 8 Pro. Works well IMO. IE10 is faster than firefox and better with streaming audio and video.

From a boot, you get the tile UI. Click on the desktop tile and never go back if you install a start button program. I use a freeware one.

DoctorQuest

Agreed. I've had less problems than I expected but I still have a dual boot with XP for some minor compatibility issues I've encountered.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I've only run into a few problems with Win 7-64 bit Home Premium.

Here's what I can't get to run properly.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - CD
Medieval: Total War - CD
First Eagles - CD

MarkShot

Ha ha ha ... I completely forgot about this thread which I started weeks ago. I just remembered it while reading the tech news today.

Well, I am glad XP still has another year to go. It takes urgency out of this for me at the moment as I have too many other thing going on.

Shelldrake

Quote from: MarkShot on November 29, 2012, 11:26:26 PM
Well, I am glad XP still has another year to go. It takes urgency out of this for me at the moment as I have too many other thing going on.

My concern is that in a years time Win7 might no longer be for sale so I will be picking up an OEM copy of the OS to have on hand when XP is no longer supported. I think of it as insurance. At least Win7 is expected to be supported through to 2020 (and maybe longer is Win8 is another Vista).

Dean Edell