Main Menu

The Chinese Navy

Started by GDS_Starfury, January 26, 2013, 12:12:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Longdan

I only get to vote every four years.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Centurion40

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/06/world/asia/china-japan-disputed-islands/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Quote
Tokyo (CNN) -- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Wednesday described as "dangerous" and "regrettable" the actions of a Chinese navy ship that Tokyo says put a radar-lock on a Japanese vessel last week. His comments come amid severely strained relations between the two Asian powers over a set of disputed islands in the East China Sea.

The tensions over the islands -- which Japan currently administers but both countries claim sovereignty over -- have resulted in maritime standoffs and the scrambling of Japanese fighter jets in recent months.

In the latest incident, Japan accused the Chinese navy ship of using radar to gather information on the location of a Japanese warship in the East China Sea. That type of radar could be used to produce data needed to fire upon the Japanese vessel.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Mr. Bigglesworth

I'd bet Japan goes nuclear within a week of China firing on their navy.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Longdan

I do not like being downwind of that kind of crap.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Staggerwing

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on February 06, 2013, 06:51:02 PM
I'd bet Japan goes nuclear within a week of China firing on their navy.

Isn't there something in Japan's constitution about not engaging in a nuclear weapons program, or am I merely remembering an apocryphal story?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Mr. Bigglesworth

Don't know, cant read it. ;-)

All niceties of their polite culture go out the window when their navy starts being sunk. They will always see themselves as a sea based nation.

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Longdan on February 06, 2013, 06:58:08 PM
I do not like being downwind of that kind of crap.

They don't have to use it, they just say "Yu fukka around, yu sionarra."
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Longdan

China is upwind of Japan.  China is still pissed that Japan is pretending WW2 didn't happen.
China is more nukey than Japan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_nuclear_weapon_program
digni enim sunt interdicunt

GDS_Starfury

no nukes for the Japanese military.
now giant robots on the other hand....
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


LongBlade

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 06, 2013, 08:27:25 PM
no nukes for the Japanese military.
now giant robots on the other hand....

+1

I wouldn't underestimate what a highly developed, gadgety-prone, limited resource nation is capable of. China had better bring their A game.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

Do the Japanese operate their own drones or does the US do that for them?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

In regards to the Japanese prime minister being enraged that a Chinese vessel shined a fire control radar at a Japanese vessel, this is pretty low level harassment.
If something like this could start a shooting match, then there would have been a new one every week in the Mediterranean during the 1970s.  This is not so unusual, and it could even be a case of needing the better resolution to get an accurate range - bearing - course - speed, etc.  (I don't believe it, but it could be.)
When the Chinese start maneuvering to use the "Rules of the Nautical Road" and Admiralty Law to be priveliged and try to force a collision, then the Prime Minister will have grounds.
Of course, when the Sovs did this to us back then, we complained through diplomatic channels.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

LongBlade

Quote from: besilarius on February 06, 2013, 09:51:17 PM
When the Chinese start maneuvering to use the "Rules of the Nautical Road" and Admiralty Law to be priveliged and try to force a collision, then the Prime Minister will have grounds.
Of course, when the Sovs did this to us back then, we complained through diplomatic channels.

I would be more than happy to help draft a strongly worded letter.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: besilarius on February 06, 2013, 09:51:17 PM
In regards to the Japanese prime minister being enraged that a Chinese vessel shined a fire control radar at a Japanese vessel, this is pretty low level harassment.
If something like this could start a shooting match, then there would have been a new one every week in the Mediterranean during the 1970s.  This is not so unusual, and it could even be a case of needing the better resolution to get an accurate range - bearing - course - speed, etc.  (I don't believe it, but it could be.)
When the Chinese start maneuvering to use the "Rules of the Nautical Road" and Admiralty Law to be priveliged and try to force a collision, then the Prime Minister will have grounds.
Of course, when the Sovs did this to us back then, we complained through diplomatic channels.

there is the fact that the US and Russia didnt have over a 1000 years of hostility between them though.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Longdan

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 06, 2013, 10:37:29 PM
Quote from: besilarius on February 06, 2013, 09:51:17 PM
In regards to the Japanese prime minister being enraged that a Chinese vessel shined a fire control radar at a Japanese vessel, this is pretty low level harassment.
If something like this could start a shooting match, then there would have been a new one every week in the Mediterranean during the 1970s.  This is not so unusual, and it could even be a case of needing the better resolution to get an accurate range - bearing - course - speed, etc.  (I don't believe it, but it could be.)
When the Chinese start maneuvering to use the "Rules of the Nautical Road" and Admiralty Law to be priveliged and try to force a collision, then the Prime Minister will have grounds.
Of course, when the Sovs did this to us back then, we complained through diplomatic channels.

there is the fact that the US and Russia didnt have over a 1000 years of hostility between them though.

And there is the fact that many of the aging, decrepit PRC leadership can personally remember the time before the Japanese were sent home.
digni enim sunt interdicunt