Video Game Violence OH NO!!!! uh, no.

Started by Longdan, January 30, 2013, 04:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Longdan

Today over at PC Gamer on steam there is an article about whether video games are making people violent.
I have not read it yet but two thoughts spring to my greasy mind: 1) Video games are increasingly used in our society
as a form of entertainment for all ages; and 2) Violent crime rates are stable or down throughout the western world.
My third thought is that given the first two this question is totally irrelevant.  WTF is this debate?  What am I missing
besides the idiocy of democratic politics and people in general as a class of animal?  Did pr0n really rot my mind like they promised?
Now I shall read the article.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

bayonetbrant

FYI, Chad Mahood at Ohio St did a lot of research about violence and aggression as related to video games, and what he found was that aggression was positively correlated with frustration ("prevention of goal attainment") - there was no noticeable difference in the aggressiveness of a person who was playing FPS games and one playing Tetris, when they reported the same levels of frustration while playing the game.

It's not the violent video game making people aggressive.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Longdan

I see your point Brant but my point is kinda that there is no point since this increased frustration
is not being manifested as anything in crime statistics.  Right up there with the devil made me do it.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

GDS_Starfury

games makes people more violent....... whatever.
some people may have gotten 10s of thousands of kills playing fps.
25+ years of wargaming and Ive killed billions.  Ill wipe out 40 million easy with a East Front strategy game.  I can even count how many how gone up in radioactive dust playing Defcon.  then theres the planet killing in some 4x space games.
and amazingly I have yet to actually take over the world.

true story.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.



Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

LongBlade

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 30, 2013, 06:29:46 PM
25+ years of wargaming and Ive killed billions.  Ill wipe out 40 million easy with a East Front strategy game. 

I'll bet you killed some of those pixels playing as Germans.

Doesn't exactly make you a Neo-Nazi, either, does it?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


TheCommandTent

I would like to pause a minute and say hello to all the different government agencies that are now watching this thread.   8)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Longdan

There is probably seventeen of them in the land of the free but the ones here are over at Horton's
because it is coffee and doughnut time and it is not about pot.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

LongBlade

Quote from: TheCommandTent on January 30, 2013, 08:35:39 PM
I would like to pause a minute and say hello to all the different government agencies that are now watching this thread.   8)

Oh, heck. They've been watching since before we started the site. Get used to it. My browser didn't even blink when I wrote that.

It's even more fun to jump from this thread into current events and start talking about Hezbollah. I don't know whether humans ever see these posts, but it's fun to at least watch the computers go bananas trying to process all the key words :)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

If I didn't have video game violence as an outlet, I'd be hunting you all down  ;)
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Longdan

I believe you.  How come you weren't at Mosque last night?  You too good for prayers?
Durka durka!
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Martok

Quote from: mirth on January 30, 2013, 08:52:00 PM
If I didn't have video game violence as an outlet, I'd be hunting you all down  ;)
Heh.  +1 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Staggerwing

Quote from: TheCommandTent on January 30, 2013, 08:35:39 PM
I would like to pause a minute and say hello to all the different government agencies that are now watching this thread.   8)

Hi from me too!
BTW, to whom it may concern: can you reboot the brain-wave inhibitors on my block? They must be malfunctioning 'cause now I can see the Space People hiding everywhere. I liked it better to other way...  :(
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys