Battlestations Pacific

Started by Gusington, January 30, 2013, 09:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Anyone play this? It's billed as an action game of the Pacific War and has both US and Japanese campaigns. It looks to model both naval and air combat. I've been looking at reviews over at Metacritic and they're not bad but not particularly great either. I get a little wary of 'action games' but this one is drawing me in.

Linky: http://store.steampowered.com/app/8170/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Is that Beetlejuice in your frickin avatar?

What is it you didn't like? Too 'action gamey'?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jomni

I have the first one (midway). It is fun.  But i got stuck in the campaign.  The multiplayer is promising but there aren't enough players.

You might as well wait for World of Warships.

ArizonaTank

I enjoyed it, and still play it from time to time.  Great for those evenings after work, when you don't really want to think much...just watch stuff go boom.  If you can get a good price for, I recommend going for it.

My old review:
http://www.armchairgeneral.com/battlestations-pacific-pc-game-review.htm
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

Thanks Tank! Didn't know you had published reviews.

Jomni just saw your reply, tks.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Gusington on January 30, 2013, 10:12:17 PM

I wrote for ACG for about three years....raked in those big payola checks from the gaming industry and now I am retired....;) 

Actually just got very busy at work...found I couldn't commit to deadlines...so put down my pen....
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

jomni

Arizona's reviews is pretty accurate.  I have the same feelings about Midway. But Pacific is more polished and has more variety than Midway.

Gusington

Great review Tank, actually makes me want it more :) Jomni, Tank...is there any reason to get the Midway game and Pacific...does Pacific do everything the other games do better?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: ArizonaTank on January 30, 2013, 10:20:31 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 30, 2013, 10:12:17 PM

I wrote for ACG for about three years....raked in those big payola checks from the gaming industry and now I am retired....;) 

Actually just got very busy at work...found I couldn't commit to deadlines...so put down my pen....

Hey, if you want to pick it up again, I can give you that same thrill with the extra benefit of not getting paid. Ask anyone: it's awesome!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I also remember some great videos at youtube of both games.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Shelldrake

I played the first game in the series Battlestations Midway and mostly liked it except for the missions that required one to fly a plane. Never could get a joystick to work properly and I suck using a keyboard to fly!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

W8taminute

I bought Battlestations Pacific from Gamersgate last year for 5.99.  At that price the game is well worth it.  It's not a true sim but more of an action game.

There are two historical campaigns you can play; One American and one Japanese.  The campaign story is linear but entertaining enough at the pricepoint I bought the game for.

You can play online against another player but the servers are all but deserted these days.  You can also play against the ai in skirmish mode and pick what map and what session parameters you want to use.  Is it going to be a capture x amount of bases for the win or are you going for an invasion game limited to the task of protecting those landing barges as they attempt to storm the beaches?

You can fly planes (fighters, torpedo and dive bombers, and the 4 engined heavies) sail ships of all shapes and sizes from PT Boats to Battleships and you can man base defenses such as AAA and howitzers.  You can even pilot submarines!

I recommend getting a cheap flightstick for flying but if you have an xbox controller that will work too. 

All in all I like this game but in my opinion it does not reach out and make you an addict to it.  Good game for when you get that occasional urge to to blow stuff up with massive 16" battleship guns.

If you do end up getting it Gus you will have to create an account on Microsoft to play however as this is a Games for Windows game.  If you're willing to do that let me know and we can play multiplayer against each other or co-op!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

ArizonaTank

Quote from: W8taminute on January 31, 2013, 03:23:27 PM

If you do end up getting it Gus you will have to create an account on Microsoft to play however as this is a Games for Windows game.  If you're willing to do that let me know and we can play multiplayer against each other or co-op!

I'm interested in co-op as well.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"