Main Menu

Door-Kickers

Started by Arctic Blast, March 22, 2013, 03:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

It's alpha, so a lot of stuff to go....but it does have a good base playable game right now, getting my money out of it.  They are thinking of adding things such as multi story buildings, campaigns, mission editors, team customization, snipers, improved ai, improved movement etc.

-budd-

#16
So i bought into the alpha, first time i've been an early adopter. I don't think i'll have any trouble getting my $8 worth out of the product as is. For the product to have legs features will need to be added and since i am an early bird adopter i get to vote. My top 3 features not in any order are: Multi-story buildings, order chaining, and an editor, the editor is probably a must and gives the game endless tactical possibilities. The only freezes i have had is when alt tabbing, otherwise no crashes, game is stable for me as is. The difficulty i have had is of my own doing, i forget the game isn't paused unless in planning mode. Nothing like an enemy coming out of door and capping you. Not having order chaining probably makes the game harder than it should be hopefully that feature makes it in. The enemy AI has some randomness, behaves differently play to play. I asked but have not been answered yet on their forum as to whether the AI reponds to audio clues...you know, hear gunfire and go check it out. I'm having fun with this game, but without added features [as mentioned above] the fun will be short lived...but i still wouldn't feel dissatisfied with jumping on board. I would give the game a thumbs up for sure, might be different if it was $40 or higher, but it's not.

Here's some screens for you, too bad my guys got smoked..failure.

Here's the situation. One entry point, lights out, alot of angles on the entry door.



Panning around with the spy cam, you can see its a nightmare. Two enemies with a bead on the entry door and other possible locations for enemies to come from.



Flash bang goes in, both enemies get stunned but you can see one of my guys is wounded already.


One of my guys drops at the entry, my other guy gets 3, but in the end he goes down.



I played it again after this and failed again. The enemies were in vastly different postitions. You can see and hear doors open so there are clues sometime when enemies are appraoching. Changing the viewpoint of your guys is critical and you need to be fast at times when the game isn't paused.

Here's a video of an early training mission
                                                                                           
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Huw the Poo

The top feature I would ask for is being able to control which direction my men are facing as they move.  If I know there's an enemy around the corner I can't just ask my man to focus fire there; he has to walk through first, giving the enemy a precious half-second headstart to get his shot in before my man can react.

Frozen Synapse this isn't, but it certainly has a hell of a lot of potential.  A solid block of feature development could make Door Kickers a minor classic.

-budd-

I enjoyed frozen synapse it had alot of order chaining possibilities. This game defiantly needs order chaining, the facing is probably the number one reason i die. With an editor and multiplayer there are alot of possibilities.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

undercovergeek

Two no three things before I jump on a plane - great game with so much potential, I'm sure multi storeys will be in - one of the more pricey buy ins gets your house designed as a level, and I've seen the ai respond to audio so I think that's in

Grim.Reaper

I played this game all day yesterday.......even more so then I have played any recent full blown major game releases lately.  Already got my $8 worth and it still has a ton of potential.  We just have to remember still in early alpha and is not expected to be fully released until at least late 2013 (think I read that somewhere).  This means a ton of time for additional improvements and added features.

I really think they got something here as long as they keep improving it and receive enough support.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: -budd- on March 24, 2013, 04:00:01 AM
So i bought into the alpha, first time i've been an early adopter. I don't think i'll have any trouble getting my $8 worth out of the product as is. For the product to have legs features will need to be added and since i am an early bird adopter i get to vote. My top 3 features not in any order are: Multi-story buildings, order chaining, and an editor, the editor is probably a must and gives the game endless tactical possibilities. The only freezes i have had is when alt tabbing, otherwise no crashes, game is stable for me as is. The difficulty i have had is of my own doing, i forget the game isn't paused unless in planning mode. Nothing like an enemy coming out of door and capping you. Not having order chaining probably makes the game harder than it should be hopefully that feature makes it in. The enemy AI has some randomness, behaves differently play to play. I asked but have not been answered yet on their forum as to whether the AI reponds to audio clues...you know, hear gunfire and go check it out. I'm having fun with this game, but without added features [as mentioned above] the fun will be short lived...but i still wouldn't feel dissatisfied with jumping on board. I would give the game a thumbs up for sure, might be different if it was $40 or higher, but it's not.

We are on the same page with some of the needs, I also posted them at the official forum and seems like most of them (i.e. multi story, editor) will be there at some point.  In fact, there is a thread over there that shows you how to open up a version of the editor now.  Seems like it will be powerful because it will allow you to create your own floorplans with all the special objects.  I think the toughest thing for them will be the introduction of multiple stories since they will have to deal with action going on across multiple levels somehow.  However, to me it is a must especially for other missions to be added where you start by coming in from the roof, repelling through windows, etc.

Other requests that I saw which should be included are windows, non-lethal take downs, etc.....

undercovergeek

Quote from: -budd- on March 24, 2013, 04:00:01 AM
So i bought into the alpha, first time i've been an early adopter. I don't think i'll have any trouble getting my $8 worth out of the product as is. For the product to have legs features will need to be added and since i am an early bird adopter i get to vote. My top 3 features not in any order are: Multi-story buildings, order chaining, and an editor, the editor is probably a must and gives the game endless tactical possibilities. The only freezes i have had is when alt tabbing, otherwise no crashes, game is stable for me as is. The difficulty i have had is of my own doing, i forget the game isn't paused unless in planning mode. Nothing like an enemy coming out of door and capping you. Not having order chaining probably makes the game harder than it should be hopefully that feature makes it in. The enemy AI has some randomness, behaves differently play to play. I asked but have not been answered yet on their forum as to whether the AI reponds to audio clues...you know, hear gunfire and go check it out. I'm having fun with this game, but without added features [as mentioned above] the fun will be short lived...but i still wouldn't feel dissatisfied with jumping on board. I would give the game a thumbs up for sure, might be different if it was $40 or higher, but it's not.

Here's some screens for you, too bad my guys got smoked..failure.

Here's the situation. One entry point, lights out, alot of angles on the entry door.



Panning around with the spy cam, you can see its a nightmare. Two enemies with a bead on the entry door and other possible locations for enemies to come from.



Flash bang goes in, both enemies get stunned but you can see one of my guys is wounded already.


One of my guys drops at the entry, my other guy gets 3, but in the end he goes down.



I played it again after this and failed again. The enemies were in vastly different postitions. You can see and hear doors open so there are clues sometime when enemies are appraoching. Changing the viewpoint of your guys is critical and you need to be fast at times when the game isn't paused.

Here's a video of an early training mission
                                                                                           


just played this level and it coincided with my discovery that you dont have to be in front of a door to open it - so scan the room like you did with the door cam, but stay next to the wall as opposed to the door, one guy opens the door - nobody is in line of sight, the other guy throws the flashbang, i let the clock run down until the flashbang hits and you get the startled signs on the bad guys - i hit pause as soon as this happens then give both guys the order to come through the door, one goes straight one for a few steps and takes out the guy at 11 oclock, the other guy is ordered to walk in and turn to 12oclock where he gets the other guy. The first guy is now facing the bathroom where a mac10 toting baffoon usually comes through - hes toast and now he can turn and throw a flash bang into the first bedroom and the other swat guy who came in at 12 oclock goes in there and mops up - love working out the puzzle and so much better now ive sussed the doors!

Grim.Reaper

Good idea Ug, never thought to try standing next to the door. 

-budd-

#24
that will help for sure. I suppose you guys read about holding the rmb down while moving to keep your guy looking the way you want.

in fact you can swivel your viewing while moving just keep the rmb down and move it to where you want your guys to look as he moves. You can only do one guy though. here's an example.

                                                                                           
                                                                             
                                                                         
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: -budd- on March 24, 2013, 07:02:49 PM
that will help for sure. I suppose you guys read about holding the rmb down while moving to keep your guy looking the way you want.

in fact you can swivel your viewing while moving just keep the rmb down and move it to where you want your guys to look as he moves. You can only do one guy though

Yep, saw that, but hard to execute that in the heat of battle with multiple people moving.  I am thinking the people should auto look around as appropriate since they should react to their surroundings without micromanagement.

-budd-

The auto look thing would get some complaints, hey my guy looked left when i wanted him to look right kind of thing. I'd like something along the lines of what frozen synapse did, ability to put look waypoints in your movement line, frozen synapse also has a check feature where your guy will snap his head to check a direction for threats , if none head snaps back on line.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: -budd- on March 24, 2013, 07:25:54 PM
The auto look thing would get some complaints, hey my guy looked left when i wanted him to look right kind of thing. I'd like something along the lines of what frozen synapse did, ability to put look waypoints in your movement line, frozen synapse also has a check feature where your guy will snap his head to check a direction for threats , if none head snaps back on line.

I guess some might, just think sometimes the troopers could make some tactical decisions on their own, as long as good....but I do u deist and some wouldn't like.  I'll have to fire up frozen synapse, got it but never played:)

-budd-

frozen synapse is turn based, you plot 5 seconds worth of orders and both sides play out the orders together.....repeat next turn until done. All the possibilities in the order chaining is what i liked, you could take along time to get it exactly the way you wanted it, you could also preview your orders. I played it for months, the campaign and online. Bought the red DLC but never played it, it had a coop campaign.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Grim.Reaper

I'll have to give it a try...heck, I own it, so I probably should play it:)