Handyman Corner for Tips and Advice

Started by Bison, April 20, 2013, 12:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Ok.  Here's a home improvement delima I'm working on at the moment.

The previous owners used either a no-slip product or contact paper in the cabinets.  Now there is a sticky residue left inside of every cabinet.  It needs to go.  Anyone have any tips or suggestions to remove the sticky, gummy residue?

GDS_Starfury

a big bottle, or bottles, of goof-off and rags.  once the residue is gone wipe down with soap and water and let dry.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Bison

I'll look for it when I go to Ace Hardward this weekend.

GDS_Starfury

open the windows, wear a mask and use dish washing gloves.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Bison

Mr. Bigglesworth

goof off is good. It is also xylene IIRC which is a carcinogenic ring structure petroleum organic. You need to pick up the respirator filter for your mask. keep a fan blowing fresh air into the room. close doors to the rest of the house.

You could also go with gel type furniture stripper. it doesnt make a smell.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Bison

Ok.   I'm not looking to put my house on lock down.   Maybe I'll give goo be gone a go.   It's worked on other crap and I didn't need a military grade gas mask too use.  :D

GDS_Starfury

pussy!   ;)

just checked in the garage.  I ment Goo Gone.

Bison

Ha!  That's the stuff I was thinking of too.

Bison

I'll also be replacing the shower head in the master bedroom.  I'm not sure how someone designs a shower head that literally no water is dispursed from the center of the shower head, but this designer did it.

GDS_Starfury

dont forget to wrap the thread in plumbers tape before screwing on the new head.  if you want to keep the current one and it has low water flow soak it in a strong mixture of CLR overnight. 

Bison

No.  The problem is that there are no holes in the middle of the head.  So there is a cone of no water in the shower spray. 

bayonetbrant

Before you OD on Goo Gone, borrow a bottle of finger nail polish remover from your wife and give it a quick wipe with some of that.  If it works, it'll go a lot faster, and be much less noxious, than Goo Goon.  I agree with the guys that GG works best for heavy-duty residue, but if you don't need to go there, then don't.

The plumbers tape/threading tip is very good

CLR can work for cleaning a showerhead, but 90% of showerhead probs can be solved with just straight-up white vinegar.  If it's a removable showerhead/handheld then let it dangle by the hose, fill a ziploc freezer bag with a 50/50 water/vinegar mix, and zip-tie it onto the showerhead to the head is soaking in it.  Wait a few hours then flush the head for about 5 minutes before using it.

edit: time fixed, thanks Windy
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Interesting technique with the white vinegar.

GDS_Starfury

how to douche your shower by BB.  lol