Wargame: AirLand Battle

Started by Jarhead0331, April 24, 2013, 08:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Its due for release on 5/22.  If you pre-order you get he multi-player beta.

So far I have one thing to say about it...

USMC in the OOB B*tches!

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

wow...that looks good...too bad beta didn't have solo play, unless it has a skirmish you can play against AI.  JH, any chance that exists right now?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on April 24, 2013, 08:42:09 PM
wow...that looks good...too bad beta didn't have solo play, unless it has a skirmish you can play against AI.  JH, any chance that exists right now?

Negative.  Unfortunately the beta is MP only.  You can launch a MP game solo, but then there will be no combat. You can basically just order units and move them around.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 24, 2013, 08:58:12 PM

Negative.  Unfortunately the beta is MP only.  You can launch a MP game solo, but then there will be no combat. You can basically just order units and move them around.

Bummer...but thanks for letting me know....for $29, still might be worth it.

RooksBailey

I'm definitely picking this up at some point.  I am waiting a bit now, though, because of the lack of an AI for SP skirmishes, and the fact that I understand there are more than a few bugs.  In other words, this is a real beta and just a publicity beta.   :)
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

LongBlade

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on April 24, 2013, 09:09:45 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 24, 2013, 08:58:12 PM

Bummer...but thanks for letting me know....for $29, still might be worth it.

The original game was worth $29. I suspect this one will be, too.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Swatter

My main complaint about EE was the single player mode, which appears to be addressed in ALB. The single player campaign looks like it will play out similiar to the later versions of the Close Combat campaign system. Not a bad way to go. A good single player experience should snag them a lot more sales.

RooksBailey

Quote from: Swatter on April 24, 2013, 10:25:04 PM
My main complaint about EE was the single player mode, which appears to be addressed in ALB. The single player campaign looks like it will play out similiar to the later versions of the Close Combat campaign system. Not a bad way to go. A good single player experience should snag them a lot more sales.

I agree.  But I confess to being more than a little concerned about the final state of the SP campaign seeing how there has been no further details about it.  I hope what finally arrives doesn't disappoint.  According to Steam, Wargame ALB releases on May 22 - that gives Eugen four weeks to pull it all together.   :(
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Tpek

I've pre-ordered it, but yet to have had time to install the beta.

MikeGER

... will there be a slider/option for the overall game speed in SP ? ;)

I remember EE like: build a bunch of units, rush it somewhere, units get destroyed, spam another bunch,  again and again ... to much information to compute (for me ... i start to feel old) at the same time rushing down on me, the units move to fast and die to fast on the virtual battlefield for to get real(life) strategy / tactics to the work... i would have liked to play it at 66% game speed, or so   

now we get 6 brands (role on the battlefield) of fast movers too.  which look great in the track-my-unit videos... but I didn't even had time to marble at the nice graphics zoomed-in when there was only tanks and choppers in EE...   

i have to get me more infos on the changes from EE 

well, i am still on the fence (and i like the price reduction on final product  ;)) 

Tuna

Just bought this for my 14 year old on Steam.. I'm still wondering where he get's all this money in his bottomless Piggy Bank.. he says Easter, Xmas.. I'm like we got Candy for Easter as kids!!!! From the Easter Bunny, no one else... no grandparents throwing money at ya!!.. lol.. good thing he's so rich my wife is constantly 'borrowing' from his Piggy Bank.. Instead of him giving me 29 bucks.. my wife owes him 30 less... :P

Great Ajax

I am a big fan of the series and the new additions in Airland look fantastic.  The new campaign mode looks like a lot more fun and a ton of more deck building options.  If anyone is interested in some easy going matches, let me know.   My Steam moniker is the same as my Grogs account  name.

Trey

panzerde

Quote from: MikeGER on April 25, 2013, 10:44:35 AM
... will there be a slider/option for the overall game speed in SP ? ;)

I remember EE like: build a bunch of units, rush it somewhere, units get destroyed, spam another bunch,  again and again ... to much information to compute (for me ... i start to feel old) at the same time rushing down on me, the units move to fast and die to fast on the virtual battlefield for to get real(life) strategy / tactics to the work... i would have liked to play it at 66% game speed, or so   

+1.  This, and the way the game unlocks units rather than giving you access to the historical OOB is why I didn't play more of EE.  Sure does look nice though!
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres