More DLC for Graviteam Tactics...

Started by Jarhead0331, April 25, 2013, 12:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I didn't need to create a new profile.  I installed the latest patch, re-installed the DLC, and installed the latest update and it seems to be running smoothly now.  No more crashes like I was getting before.  I haven't tried the campaign yet though, just some quick battles.  (M113s are mobile death traps.  They're about as resiliant as a Christmas tree ornament.) 

Dolan50



This is what my updater looks like.Everything so far seems to be working,but still haven't played much yet of Shield of the Prophet to notice any problems.
Did a Quick battle on the Summer Volokonoka map with Soviet Army vs Iran that looked pretty cool and played good.
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

WallysWorld

#47
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 10, 2013, 03:53:14 PM
Those aren't most current these are
http://mods.tanksim.org.ru/tmp/gtos_patch_march13c1_eng/

Whoops! Thanks for correcting me on that.

I read from a few people that you should have the District Update and Game Update at the bottom of the list.


I also have version 5.81 (2170) in the game screen.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Dolan50

My game plays fine regardless of the order.The only time I've seen Andrey(Dev) mention order for the DLCs was for the High Resolution texture DLC,which He mentioned must be above the Game update to work.

I don't have the High res DLC,so don't know if that particular DLC has any kind of effect on the rest of the DLCs and their order in the updater.
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

undercovergeek

Dear lord this was a purchase for tomorrow but the patch process looks a nightmare - is there a one visit wonder site somewhere were they're all laid out in order?

Dolan50

Try here first.

http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=11099.0

1)Core game- APOS
2)Download and install 5.81 engine
3)Download and install March13c patch
4)Download and install DLC of choice-no particular order*.

*Except for high resolution texture DLC(optional not required) that needs to be installed above game update.
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 10, 2013, 06:38:43 PM
Dear lord this was a purchase for tomorrow but the patch process looks a nightmare - is there a one visit wonder site somewhere were they're all laid out in order?

It seems daunting at first but that's only because the patching and DLC installation system is quite different from what we're used to.  It's not bad once you get used to it.  The big problem with the latest DLC is that the latest patches weren't available from GG at the time of release and the dev's naming system for their updates leaves a lot to be desired.

Anyway, I started a Soviet campaign in the Shield of the Prophet DLC and I just finished my 2nd turn.  I'm not sure if I like the map.  My impression of Afghanistan is one of a mountainous country with some difficult terrain.  The map in the game is very flat an open.  It's what I would picture El Alamein or Sidi al Barrani to be like more than Afghanistan.   Almost as flat as a billiard table with a few wadis, some rocky bits, some sandy bits and almost no cover or vegetation.  It definitely makes for a tactical challenge.  Both the Soviet BRDMs and the Iranian M113 APCs are death traps.  Once they can be seen, they become burning wrecks within seconds.  Much better to disembark the infantry and let them slog.  At least a few might survive that way.

The tank battles are interesting.  The M60 has a glass jaw.  The T-55 is seems almost blind.  The Chieftains and the T-62s seem to be the kings of the battlefield and watching them duke it out is always entertaining. 

Dolan50

#52










Here's a few pics of the Mius Front game(Ukraine 1943)
Hopefully we will see this before Summer.

It seems the next DLC graviteam is releasing is about a modern battle between two super powers in some mountains 1960-1980.
Don't know exactly what,who or when.But I'm guessing Pakistan vs India 1965.
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

undercovergeek

went to purchase - but we're not at $7.49 anymore - its 18 for the base game, and 15 for kransaya polyana and 8 for solovko - not a lot on the whole - more research tomorrow

Dolan50

A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 11, 2013, 08:06:30 PM
went to purchase - but we're not at $7.49 anymore - its 18 for the base game, and 15 for kransaya polyana and 8 for solovko - not a lot on the whole - more research tomorrow

It goes on sale fairly often so you can always hold off as well.

I'm having a lot of fun with it.  I really like the transition from the operational map to the tactical one as it adds so much more uncertainty than one usually find in wargames.  You have a general idea of the direction an attack is coming from but the tactical maps are so large that you can't be certain of just what's coming or from where.  It means you have to be a lot more adaptable on defence.  I also like the level in uncertainty regarding just what assets the enemy has at his disposal. If you've already squared off against a unit in a previous turn or if you've done a lot of recce, you will get some intel on the operations map.  Otherwise, you're in the dark.

Plus I love the fact that the campaigns are dynamic and that the maps are deformable and if you happen to fight over the same sector a few times, you see progressive damage.  For instance, in my last battle, the burnt out wrecks of some Iranian armor remained where they'd been knocked out in the previous turn.  I was able to get my arty spotter to take cover in one during an Iranian counter-attack and he was able to rain death down on the Iranian infantry as they deployed out of their APCs.

Almost every battle has something cinematic play out.  On my last turn, I pushed through the Muji held territory and ran into the main line of Iranian resistance.  I had 2 tank companies, 2 82mm mortar companies (8 mortars), 2 mech infantry companies (down to just about 60% strength) with BMPs, and a recon team with BDRMs.  A sand storm sprung up and I couldn't see anything past a 100 metres or so.  IR was useless and I spent a great deal of time cautiously advancing to each objective point.  I grabbed them all with 20 minutes left in the turn without sighting a single enemy so I just ordered a halt, put everyone into an all round defence and hit the time accel button.  About 5 minutes later, I heard the rumbling of tank engines but couldn't see anything.  Then a column of 8 Iranian M60A1 tanks burst through the sand, right in the middle of my mortar teams.  My T-55 tanks were too far away to see anything and it turned into a close range knife fight with my BMPs launching ATGMs, my infantry firing off RPG-7s, and my mortar teams getting machine-gunned in the face.  Absolute chaos as vehicles on both sides brewed up, missiles, rockets, MG tracers flying everywhere, and bodies dropping all over the place.  It was all over in less than a minute.  I lost 20 infantry and mortar men, 3 IFVs burning, two more damaged, and two mortars out of commission but all 8 M60s were of fire and none of their crew survived. 

   

Dolan50

Sandstorms  8)

Didn't know that was added to the weather in the game. :D

I've mostly been playing a bunch of quick battles with the new weapons in Shield of the Prophet to test how they stack up against each other before I tackle the campaigns.
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

Nefaro

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 10, 2013, 06:38:43 PM
Dear lord this was a purchase for tomorrow but the patch process looks a nightmare - is there a one visit wonder site somewhere were they're all laid out in order?

The patching process would be only a pain without having to worry about installing DLC & patches in the correct order.  It's discouraging when you start seeing various recommendations of which foot to stand on whilst sacrificing a chicken to make sure the end result is working properly.  :P

Seriously.. the worst thing about the situation is that we usually have to dig around and find such info 2nd- or 3rd-hand.  A recurring problem with all the interesting Russian and Ukrainian games with little in the way of Engrish instructions and manual.  I recall having to do a google search the first time I installed the two co-released patches in one of these Graviteam games the first time.   Luckily someone at SimHQ had explained how to patch as there was no such instructions with the software at the time.  :o

jomni

#58
What's so hard to make the patching easier like Matrix titles?  Or automated like Steam?

Dolan50

#59
I have no idea why patching is hard for this game and the logic that Graviteam uses in this regard.They're Russians who don't speak English and still a small team who seem to be more artist then marketing guys.

The game has gone thru many changes and improvements and the way the content is being delivered has changed much also.

I don't know if one day they will be able to standardize the way they deliver the new content or if this will always be a problem.Hopefully they can come up with a solution.

I don't find the problems associated with adding patches and new content insurmountable but it is very inconvenient.

To me this is probably one of the best games of this type on the market today and eventhough it was difficult to master the patching problem in the beginning the reward has been well worth the effort.

I guess if some players consider the game nothing more than a passing interest they probably won't bother with the hassle of updating,but if your like me and enjoy this type of game it's not hard to go that extra mile.
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".