Main Menu

X3 Opinions

Started by Bison, May 16, 2013, 01:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfe1759

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Huw the Poo

I use autopilot when I'm in a hurry, but I usually prefer to dock manually and take my time, so that I can hear that glorious docking music.  Even better than the Blue Danube in Elite!

son_of_montfort

I just noticed that one can play with an X-Box controller. I'm thinking of trying it out, as my desk has no room for my joystick and I have to put it in my lap.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Bison

I tried auto-dock but it seemed that my ship was flying away from the actual space port.  I will attempt again, because I bow to Star Wars references.

Huw the Poo

Yeah, the autopilot likes to dock the "proper" way, going to the end of the docking lane before turning around and flying in.

mikeck

Yes... Just use the time acceleration. It wil fly away but then turn around and dock. The only time it gets wonky is if the station is right in the middle of an asteroid field. Sometimes you have to shut it off, fly to a different side and try again.

Turn accelerate time up and it docks in  no time
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on May 17, 2013, 03:34:34 PM
I thought your discovery scout comes armed... No?
Hmmm... Some space pirate you are.

He chose the 'Merchant' start, not the Explorer one (or whatever it's called).  I'm guessing the Merchie doesn't come with anything by default.

mikeck

Yeah but in humble merchant you get a freighter (dolphin?) and a scout ship...usually I sell the scout right away
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

Oh dayum! 

I just noticed that X3: Albion Prelude got a free update with extra content. 

Nice!

son_of_montfort

Something to note - Albion Prelude is a bit harder to start than TC. They randomized the derelict spacecraft, so now no more quick starts using those (and I just made 3 million on a derelict I found in TC). Also, several sectors in AP are at war, which make them very dangerous.

They did add a stock market, which I hear is basically a quick start, money-making exploit. To use it, however, you basically have to play "space spreadsheet" for several hours, so I wouldn't call it a fun way to make money.

Also, TC has a few more plotlines that lead into AP. So if you want the whole story, it is better to start with TC.

What excites me is that he AP 3.0 patch has the "A Universe Preparing for Rebirth" tagline. That, hopefully, indicates that Rebirth is soon approaching.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Bison

There's a storyline?  Hell I thought the game was learning how to manuveur your space ship.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Bison on May 18, 2013, 11:05:27 AM
There's a storyline?

Heh.  I guess you could call it that... ;)

mikeck

Meh... Storyline is just a way to get goodies and cash. Do the AP quest until you finish (I got a player HQ) and then go off on your own. I ended up with a player hq and had earned enough money and ships that I had a fleet of 10-12 freighters, a missle (wasp) station, Energy cell station and a space weed station. My "MikeCK corp." had a fleet of one corvette, a frigate and a few fast M3+ for quick little trips here and there.

For that reason alone, do a quest. Goodies

Yskonyn

IF you really want to run the quests, be prepared for a lot of facepalm moments. The voice acting is atrocious and the cutscenes are C grade with stiff automatons.
At least in Reunion they were.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Huw the Poo

Thanks guys.  The last thing I needed was yet another game to play but now I'm going to have to play this.  I was pretty good at X2 but could never get started in X3 so I'll try the "story" approach.