Victoria II: Heart of Darkness

Started by PanzersEast, May 22, 2013, 03:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

PanzersEast

I have gotten back into VII with Heart of Darkness and am pleased with the latest add-on.  You can no longer spam ships and I really like how small disputes can escalate into wars if not resolved.  The crisis system has added a new flavor to the game.  The newspaper is a nice touch at first, however I slowly just ignore it.

Colonization is not as easy as before as others and can become quit costly if others are interested in the same area as you are.....

VII has shaped up into a great game and I see Hear of Darkness as a required expansion.


PE

OJsDad

Thanks for that PE.  I'm getting back into VII again, and have fired up a game using the PMD mod.  I hadn't looked at Heart of Darkness yet, but I will.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

eyebiter

Have they added any method to destabilize or undermine a neighboring country besides lowering diplomatic relations or going to war? Funding insurgents, increasing dissent, or other forms of unconventional warfare?

Gusington

I am looking at Victoria II (base game) right now. Is it worth 40.00 to get the base game and Heart of Darkness? I haven't played a Paradox game since EUI because I found EUI too difficult to get into. Is this a little more accessible?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

eyebiter


PanzersEast

#5
Quote from: Gusington on May 22, 2013, 06:36:27 PM
I am looking at Victoria II (base game) right now. Is it worth 40.00 to get the base game and Heart of Darkness? I haven't played a Paradox game since EUI because I found EUI too difficult to get into. Is this a little more accessible?

Amazon has it for sale.... and I feel it is totally worth it.  No other game gives you the various aspects of running/guiding a country.  It will seem overwhelming at first, however once you get the mechanics down, there is no other game like it... it is really unique from all the other Paradox titles.  Das has a lets play on Youtube -> http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGB6RkFB7ZmM7vLT_QyXV1IO9oMGBuzbI

Dealing with your population is really unique and with other countries.... the politics both internal and external are very fun and can give you fits! 



If you go with the Steam version on Amazon

Victoria II $7.49
http://www.amazon.com/Victoria-II-Online-Game-Code/dp/B008EW7S0Q/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1369266060&sr=8-5&keywords=victoria+2

A House Divided DLC $3.49
http://www.amazon.com/Victoria-II-Divided-Expansion-Download/dp/B00A7YY3QG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1369266060&sr=8-6&keywords=victoria+2

Heart of Darkness $13.99
http://www.amazon.com/Victoria-II-Heart-Darkness-Online/dp/B00C2UC7AC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1369266060&sr=8-3&keywords=victoria+2

Or the Bundle Above!

The Amazon download version is the same price, however Heart of Darkness is $19.99 with download from Amazon and not Steam Code.

Gusington

Damn you guys are fast! Thank you!!

But as far as accessibility...have these games evolved since the first EUI? Will I smash my monitor in frustration?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

PanzersEast

Quote from: eyebiter on May 22, 2013, 05:14:09 PM
Have they added any method to destabilize or undermine a neighboring country besides lowering diplomatic relations or going to war? Funding insurgents, increasing dissent, or other forms of unconventional warfare?

Those are still in place, however when you have a disputed territory things can escalate quick.  Major powers can be pulled into the dispute which can escalate to war as powers choose a side of the dispute.  If no diplomatic means are met, it can turn into a full fledged regional or world war. 

PanzersEast

#8
Quote from: Gusington on May 22, 2013, 06:49:43 PM
Damn you guys are fast! Thank you!!

But as far as accessibility...have these games evolved since the first EUI? Will I smash my monitor in frustration?

My advice is to let things play out.... don't try to tweak too much at first, let them happen.  I found once I did this, I enjoyed it more.  The one thing I love about this game is that every country plays differently and has different set of problems.  Other Paradox games are close to being the same as different countries. 

Ease into it at first, let things play out and don't feel too rushed.  As you play through begin to tweak things and the more you play the more you will learn what and when you want to tweak.  Most people quit at first because they try to do too much....

Vic II is a game you ease into, don't try it in one biet and watch Das's videos will help a lot.


Gusington

OK thanks man. Who do you like to play as?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

PanzersEast

Quote from: Gusington on May 22, 2013, 06:59:40 PM
OK thanks man. Who do you like to play as?


I do not suggest UK or a Major power at first.... I believe in Das's video he plays Argentina which is a pretty mellow start... however there are issues with the country.  Your economic base is not that great and you really have to watch your budget starting out.  You are far removed and it would be an interesting goal to try and dominate South America, however Brazil will have something to say about that.

I would recommend following Das's video and maybe playing as Argentina and using Das as a reference.  That should help get you off the ground.... then maybe play as Prussia or Austria or another power.

 

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Gus, your ADD can't handle that game.  Who are you kidding?  On topic, I've yet to play the vanilla game I have installed, but, would you recommend having the expansions before I get into it, or should I get some experience under my belt with the base game and THEN go for the expansions?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

PanzersEast

#13
Quote from: MetalDog on May 22, 2013, 10:07:52 PM
Gus, your ADD can't handle that game.  Who are you kidding?  On topic, I've yet to play the vanilla game I have installed, but, would you recommend having the expansions before I get into it, or should I get some experience under my belt with the base game and THEN go for the expansions?

I would recommend getting the expansions first.... at least start with A House Divided, it makes the game a lot better.  If you wanted to wait on Heart of Darkness then that would be ok, but I really like heart of darkness... I feel they finally got Vik II right.

Some felt the vanilla was a watch and see it happening (hands off), but it is not that way now.  The expansions add a lot of interesting elements to the game.... don't let it scare you off, most give up on it because they try to jump in head first.... as you learn the game it is very rewarding, so much so I love failing :-)  Being drawn into a world war when you economy is not doing so well makes for a fun day!

PE

Kushan

PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play