Distant Worlds: Shadows (Released)

Started by PanzersEast, May 23, 2013, 09:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Darkspire

Here is the game setup screen (400 8x8) and a map of the result, I am in the middle and the other red rings are the other empires (eight)
As you can see there is still one, green, possibly Zenox, that is still closer than the others but the setup does a fair job of setting things up the way you want it to.

Darkspire



Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.


JudgeDredd

Ok. I think I'll take it you haven't read my posts...it would have helped. ..honestly.
I've said several times...3 factions.

So game setup was
Me
Least amount of pirates with no respawn
3 AI choosen factions and as far away as possible
400 stars
8x8 galaxy

Last time...given that setup...why did an AI faction land in MY sector out of the 64 available (or 32 just using the fringes)
Given the map size and the number of AI factions, I'd have expected at least 3 or 4 sectors around me to be clear of AI...I don't think that's unreasonable
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

That came off a little "short" - and I apologise.

But I have said all this in my posts which are in the last couple of pages of this thread and the whole reason I was a bit pissed off about an AI faction starting so close was exactly because of the size of the galaxy and the number of AI factions.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Jarhead0331

#123
I dunno...seems to me you're making a mountain out of a molehill here.  So what, you played a random sandbox game and there were some AI empires located in or around your home sector. If you don't like that, reload and start again.  In my opinion, its a minor issue in an extremely complex game.  Does DW have some faults? You betcha'....but compared to the amount of stuff DW gets right, the foibles are negligible.

Based upon your complaints, you seem to have trouble managing the complexity of the game, and learning how to use the UI effectively while balancing the automation features.  No offense, but this is YOUR problem, not the game's. You may just not like this gaming system, and while that is totally ok, I don't think its fair to go out of your way to find faults with the game that do not really exist.  For instance, your complaint that ships zoom off in different directions at game start.  Why is this a problem?  IF you have them set to AI, those ships are off to perform the function that they were designed to do...you'd prefer them to just sit idle and do nothing?  Exploration ships go and explore...construction ships go and build...military vessels go and patrol and defend, etc. etc.  This is a strength of the AI, not a weakness.  Try learning it first, before you attack it as if there is something inherently wrong or bugged with the game.

DW is a unique game that offers players space 4x gaming in a manner that has never been done before.  You can't expect everyone to like it, but the vast majority of players praise it.  The few complaints I do see seem to come from people who just jumped in and want to give up at the first sign that effort may be required to master it.  They continue to fight and struggle against the system, rather than trying to learn it and adapt.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Darkspire

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 01, 2013, 07:44:16 AM
That came off a little "short" - and I apologise.

But I have said all this in my posts which are in the last couple of pages of this thread and the whole reason I was a bit pissed off about an AI faction starting so close was exactly because of the size of the galaxy and the number of AI factions.

Not a problem, I know only too well what it is like when you are trying to find out why something is going wrong and can not find the solution. I misread, I thought you meant that those three empires were close to you at startup and the others were more where you wanted them, I just tried an 8x8 400 with three empires, irregular map with me at the center and three AI ended up at the edges. Maybe there starting position also has something to do with the map shape as well? Although I sometimes play on other map shapes I prefer the irregular map.

Darkspire
Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.


Tuna

Can you actually 'see' where all the other Alien Races are at the start of the game? Or do you have to 'explore' to find them?

Darkspire

#126
Quote from: Tuna on June 01, 2013, 08:58:44 AM
Can you actually 'see' where all the other Alien Races are at the start of the game? Or do you have to 'explore' to find them?

No you have to find them, most by exploring, some by pirates selling your details or you trading details with pirates. The only reason you can see them on the map above is I used the in game editor, that displays everything if you use it. The exploring part can yield lucrative trinkets beside races, abandoned ships, mines and bases, rare resources, planets with special resources, races awakened from hypersleep and many others, the exploring is quite fun.

Darkspire
Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.


Nefaro

#127
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 01, 2013, 06:01:51 AM
It's 8x8 (I did think I had setup 10x10) - and 400 stars

I just started a new 8x8 & 400 star game with 4 AI players.  And I, too, began near the center of the galaxy with an AI empire's homeworld under a sector away.  I've seen this kind of setup fairly regularly in all versions of DW. 

I just look at it as an unusual diplomatic challenge.  In this sense, you can end up with either an early ally or staunch rival fairly quickly.  The earlier friction and competition for quality planets can actually be pretty fun, if you can keep up. 

I don't expect all the empires to begin equidistant from each other, as that would make it a bit too predictable.  However, I would still like to see a minimum distance between them because your example is a bit too close (and I've experienced at least one start as close as that too).  I believe there's some setting for that?  Hopefully they'll take another look at capital placement if the randomness is putting you too close.

mikeck

I dunno... I play 10x10 with 700 stars and 6 races. I set all to "random" and it seems fine. I e never had a race right next to me. All seem evenly spread out. Maybe luck of the draw. I usually set my own empire up I am out arm so may that has something to do with it?

I always have pirates far away because they annoy me.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

JudgeDredd

#129
nevermind
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

#130
same again  ;D

It's all good in the hood.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Martok

BTW, welcome to Grogheads, Darkspire.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

WYBaugh

JD, someone started a similar thread concerning your complaint on Matrix:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3338163

May be good to keep an eye on to see what Matrix has to say.

mikeck

Well I spoke too soon. Started a game with all 7 races on a 10x10 with 700 stars on random distance. At least 2 are on my doorstep. Just makes war inevitable
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Darkspire

#134
Quote from: Martok on June 01, 2013, 07:55:27 PM
BTW, welcome to Grogheads, Darkspire.  :)

Thank you  :) Do I call you general? Can not believe I did not find this place before now.

Quote from: mikeck on June 01, 2013, 10:41:45 PM
Well I spoke too soon. Started a game with all 7 races on a 10x10 with 700 stars on random distance. At least 2 are on my doorstep. Just makes war inevitable

And early trade options available or a good reason to change your tech direction and gain an advantage. Are you playing with the setup I outlined above (the one with the map)? As I said previously, just makes things more interesting, If you can take advantage of the situation you could end up with two homeworld systems and a couple of subjugated races to supply income for your empire.

Darkspire 
Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.