Flight Sims

Started by MIGMaster, March 08, 2012, 12:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hartford688

^

Just to tease you further:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/comanche_vs_hokum
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/apache_vs_havoc

Sadly, you just missed a sale on them a few days ago...but still good games at that price!

bob48

I quite often find myself flying Tim 'piglet' Conrad's excellent Hind models in both FS9 and FSX, although it lacks the exitement of a a good combat sim, its still fun to fly in and out of historic 'hot-spots'.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

Damn all of you! OK so which of these Hind games has the best campaign(s)?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

EECH has more campaigns than you can shake a stick at, and it's still very much community-supported.

For the price, I don't see how you can go wrong.

At some point, I will be reinstalling EECH with the Hind mod on my new rig.  In fact, I bought EECH from a dude in England (before they had it on GoG) because I had to try that Hind mod.  A bit pricey, but worth it IMO.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

^And what did you think of it?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Shelldrake

EECH is a great game that like toonces says you can't go wrong with for $6. EECH Central has an all in one mod package that is a must have for a budding rotorhead.

http://www.eechcentral.com/
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

republic

Thanks for those links guys, especially EECHcentral, I had no idea!

I had picked up Commanche/Hokum awhile back but I thought all the good mods were for Apache/Havoc.  Looks like I got some things to download now.  :)

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on March 10, 2012, 01:36:20 PM
That pic above frickin' rocks! And I had no idea some of you guys were Hind fans like me! I'm feeling the need to get my hands on a virtual one soon. I hope the Take on Helicopters Hind expansion is quality.

The fan's aren't just simmers. Anything look at all familiar about these Old Republic LAATs?

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

Just grab ArmA II.  It's got lots of Hind goodness (as well as dozens of other helos to play with.)

And lots of Taliban....er....sorry Tajikistanis to blow up if you so desire.

MIGMaster

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on March 10, 2012, 02:12:55 PM
EECH has more campaigns than you can shake a stick at, and it's still very much community-supported.

For the price, I don't see how you can go wrong.

At some point, I will be reinstalling EECH with the Hind mod on my new rig.  In fact, I bought EECH from a dude in England (before they had it on GoG) because I had to try that Hind mod.  A bit pricey, but worth it IMO.

That big mod for EECH is a must. 

I'm sure you guys see the difference in the graphics between the stock pics on GoG and the one in his second post (which is with that mega-mod).  The terrain is especially a big leap ahead from stock.

The campaigns in EECH are nice and it seemed like the missions were randomly generated from all the happenings on the campaign map.   Kinda like a Falcon 4 campaign but with less bells & whistles.  I wasn't terribly enamored of the campaign/map interface but once you figure it out, it's doable.   Very target rich environment for sure!  There is still an occasional oddity like LOS passing through big hedgerows - so don't try pop-up attacks using that as cover against IR SAMs and AA as they'll just see (and fire) right through them.  But for the most part, it's good.  I had a fun time flying the Apache.  The Hind was interesting but not the agile greyhound the others are, and landing a Ka-52 on the deck of a Russian Helo Cruiser, next to the island with a small crosswind, was quite fun!

It's a nice, easier helo sim than Black Shark.  So the learning curve isn't bad.  I'd say it's like the Third Wire level of sim difficulty, but for helos (which are a bit more difficult to fly than fixed-wing but I'm talking relatives).  If that interests you, then by all means buy the game and definitely get the mod for it.  It adds & fixes a ton of stuff (incl. more campaigns too).

Gusington

I can't believe I never even heard of this mod before this thread. Staggerwing are you telling me the creators of the mod also work for Lucas? I can't that much cool at once.

Now I'm torn...don't know if I should get ARMA II, Take on Helicopters or EECH...leaning towards EECH with mod but those ARMA pics are delicious.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on March 10, 2012, 10:14:21 PM
I can't believe I never even heard of this mod before this thread. Staggerwing are you telling me the creators of the mod also work for Lucas? I can't that much cool at once.

No no... just that Lucas based the LAAT's (Republic Gunship's) look on the MiL-24 because of it's iconic profile.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys