cars. Cars. CARS. CARS!

Started by Sigma One, June 03, 2013, 10:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigma One

So as gas prices maintain their relatively comfy position of above $4 a gallon here, I've sadly realized my truck ('01 Dodge Dakota 4x4) was no longer cutting the mustard. Terrible gas mileage, transmission starting to give out, and the engine, while running strong, was about due for a full tune-up. Coupled with the fact that I don't haul anything in it anymore and I can't cart around my niece or nephew easily let alone one passenger comfortably, it was time to get a new vehicle. This started in August of last year that I started doing my research and biding my time. The truck would get me through one more winter and come spring, I'd get a new auto.

After test driving a multitude of cars, from the Dodge Dart to Fiat 500 Abarth, Mazda Speed 3, even a Nissan Juke, my buddy got my attention on the Ford Focus ST. I became smitten and after checking numbers, reviews (oh so many reviews), test drives, costs, I decided to aim for one. A few weeks ago I finally went through the tradition of trying not to get kicked out of a car dealership to not get screwed on a deal. After nearly 10 hours straight of haggling between two competing dealers, I became the owner of this beauty:

(Pardon the filters, I was going Instagram-happy after being introduced to this app a few days ago)

A turbo-charged 2.0L inline 4cyc puts out 252 horsepower with 270ft lbs of torque. It's an absolute blast to drive, even for a FWD. It feels glued to the road and has more buttons than a space shuttle it seems.

So anyone else want to show off their rides?

Bison

Nice car.  I actually looked at one the other day.  I liked the bucket seats in it. 

Sigma One

I actually grabbed the non-bucket seat version. As much as I love being snug as a bug in them, I've found out for longer trips they get uncomfortable. Maybe if I was a thinner, longer-legged gent I'd manage. Even the stock seats are pretty great though.

Bison

OMG!!!!!  NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Just kidding man. 

GDS_Starfury

that shifter would confuse the hell out of me.  reverse is bottom right!
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Bison

I know I hadn't noticed that but it's true.  I assume you push down to engage? 

Sigma One

It confused me too since I'm used to far right and down for reverse. Right underneath the knob is a ring that you lift up and move to the left and up; prevents accidental reverse engagement. After a bit of driving you get used to it. After coming from five speed gearboxes, a six speed is definitely different.

GDS_Starfury

I havent had a automatic car in 20+ years.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bayonetbrant

That gear configuration is the same that my old VW Cabrio had.

The new body style on the Focus is much nicer than the old one.  I might've considered a new Focus over my used Outback if that body style had been out when I was needing a car.  But out Outback has seen us through multiple looooong road trips and camping weekends, so I'm pretty happy with it.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

How's that Outback in snow? Is it AWD or 4WD? I'm going to need a new vehicle by year's end and I'm trying to decide between an Outback, Baja (If I can find one around here), Element, or Jeep (Liberty, maybe?). I'd love to get a Ridgeline but they're still a little pricey, even used.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Staggerwing on June 04, 2013, 06:17:12 AMHow's that Outback in snow? Is it AWD or 4WD?

They're all AWD.  Not too much snow here, but the few times we've iced over I was still able to get anywhere I needed to.  At least twice I drove to the office only to be told to turn around and go home b/c most of the other folks couldn't get there.

Good highway mileage - consistently near 30mpg if I'm careful about speed - and lots of room for hauling crap around (I've got 2 kids).  At some point, I'd like an upgraded sound system w/ an aux jack rather than using an FM transmitter, but that's not a high priority right now.

just FYI, mine's an '05.  The newer ones are a little bigger, which translates into slightly lower mileage.  They're also *very* comfortable inside.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Thanks for the info. Once the house thing is done I'm going to start test driving. Closing is end of next week and I'm still waiting on the ******* bank. >:(
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

Nice car Scott. The exterior looks almost exactly like my Subaru Outback '09. For 'Wing, the Outback is fantastic in the snow. I've had mine for 4 plus years and the only thing that ever stopped it was thick ice that I couldn't even walk on. Snow is easy peasy. The mileage is not so great (about 26 mpg) and the cabin is a little noisy, but other than that it is a tough, well built, very reliable car. Probably my favorite of the dozen or so that I have owned.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Stagger go with the Outback if the ones you listed are what you are looking at.  Subaru makes an awesome car. 

Bison

Quote from: Gusington on June 04, 2013, 08:17:40 AM
Nice car Scott. The exterior looks almost exactly like my Subaru Outback '09.

No way.