Dan Brown's Inferno

Started by Bismarck, June 07, 2013, 11:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bismarck

Brown has graduated from humble hack to pompous hack. Inferno is formalistic, overwritten and absurd. I'd recommend Mark Musa's translation of the Divine Comedy and a good guide book to Florence instead.
Jim Cobb

Gusington

Why'd you even pick it up?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bismarck

Excellent question. I've made a mini-study of Brown, reading all his work.  His first four were about the control of knowledge, a nice concept. However, he discovered riches with conspiracy and symbology. I just was curious if he went back to his more interesting concept.
Jim Cobb

Bismarck

Anyway, my wife and I are watching a Great Course DVD on the Divine Comedy.  The Inferno fit in.
Jim Cobb

DEVGRU6

Quote from: Bismarck on June 07, 2013, 11:04:54 AM
Brown has graduated from humble hack to pompous hack. Inferno is formalistic, overwritten and absurd. I'd recommend Mark Musa's translation of the Divine Comedy and a good guide book to Florence instead.

No doubt he is busy hacking away and spending pompously a ton of his "hard" earned income....:)

Respectfully, anyone that can start then complete to finish a book, has my respect.

Gusington

What's the title of the film you are watching Bismarck?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

I'm no big fan of Brown's, but the conspiracy sourcing he ripped off for DaVinci Code - Baigent, Bacon & Leigh and the others - make for some entertaining, if far-fetched reads.  And I've been to Rosslyn Chapel (last time I was in Scotland) and it's very cool, very weird place with a lot of very neat carvings in it.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

I admit it.  I enjoy reading his books.  Are they the greatest works of literature?  No.  But they are entertaining.  Certainly more entertaining that Moby Dick.  Now that is a piece of overhyped crap.

Bismarck

Quote from: Gusington on June 07, 2013, 12:46:41 PM
What's the title of the film you are watching Bismarck?

It's not a film; it's a series of 24 lectures on Divine Comedy/i].  Check out thegreatcourses.com
Jim Cobb

Airborne Rifles

I've read four of his books.  By the third one I realized they all had the same plot and got bored because I knew who all the heroes and villains were and what twists were going to happen within the first quarter of the book.

Staggerwing

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 07, 2013, 01:45:52 PM
I'm no big fan of Brown's, but the conspiracy sourcing he ripped off for DaVinci Code - Baigent, Bacon & Leigh ...

Wasn't that Baigent, Lincoln & Leigh? 

Although I have to admit that any conspiracy is made better with the addition of Bacon...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

Thanks for the link Bismarck. The kind of conspiracy material that Brown bases his books on I know nothing about...what are some of the better non-fiction books? My aunt gave me one for Christmas called The Temple Mount Code by Charles Brokaw but I have not read it. My aunt is a little crazy.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Bismarck

Holy Blood Holy Grail

Although Brown defended against a copy right suit brought by the authors, I still think he stole their idea.
Jim Cobb

Staggerwing

Quote from: Bismarck on June 07, 2013, 08:57:57 PM
Holy Blood Holy Grail

Although Brown defended against a copy right suit brought by the authors, I still think he stole their idea.

That he most definitly did. I read Holy Blood  Holy Grail, the Messianic Legacy, and the Temple and the Lodge almost a decade before reading the DaVinci Code. When I read the latter book it was like deja vu, with me having an almost constant internal monologue consisting of lots of Oh! Oh! I know that one! followed by Ha! I saw that coming!

Despite all that I really did enjoy reading the DaVinci Code. Maybe it's because I had the feeling that I was 'in the know' so to speak as far as the plot point backgrounds went.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bismarck

I too enjoyed the DaVinci code because I'd never read Brown before. With his other books, been there - done that.
Jim Cobb