Main Menu

Rome II

Started by JudgeDredd, June 10, 2013, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 02, 2013, 10:55:33 AM
I've left my settings alone and get the graphics warning still after patch 3 but have never had a problem but haven't had any huge battles really. I see birds flying all over the sky and one time a herd of deer running along the shoreline on the battle screen and maybe this stuff stresses the resolution somewhat. There's a lot to see on the battlescreen some of which I think they could eliminate that might make things easier on old computers and old eyes as well. I would vote to get rid of that damned annoying "The men are wavering" guy if I could.

You should have the option to tell these complaining spectator/advisors to get a spear and go fix the problem.  I mean, I have never once even seen who exactly he is talking about.  Parthinians don't waver, they just go into extended skirmish mode.  Sometimes it looks like most of the Parthinian army is running away.  Anyway -- think of the visuals:  Mr. Wavering comes up to complain.  You punch the get a spear button and he hurries off to be most horribly slain in mere moments if the men really are wavering.  The next Mr. Wavering is more circumspect: "Some of the men look a little worried.  Maybe it is the elephants."
You:  "What?  Which is it?  Make up your mind: men or elephants?  Elephants worried?  Aren't they always worried?  Is that an Elephant?"

undercovergeek

lol, i hate that guy

Gusington

Mr. Men Are Wavering is this year's Mr. Shamefrul Dispray.

I agree with Nefaro...I don't think the memory sharing option was actually working before Patch 3, and now it is. I only had a chance to test it on the campaign map though, not in battles yet. Hopefully later, and hopefully it will work...got me some vacation time coming :)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on October 02, 2013, 12:51:42 PM
Mr. Men Are Wavering is this year's Mr. Shamefrul Dispray.

I agree with Nefaro...I don't think the memory sharing option was actually working before Patch 3, and now it is. I only had a chance to test it on the campaign map though, not in battles yet. Hopefully later, and hopefully it will work...got me some vacation time coming :)

Play the Suebi for a bit.

For them it's, "For the Awwwl-Father!"
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Sir Slash

If you click on the little camera thing in the corner of Mr. Wavering's box, it takes you to the wavering unit which you've usually already seen as their flag is blinking. I'd like to stomp the s--t outta that guy with an elephant wearing cleats.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 02, 2013, 01:54:49 PM
If you click on the little camera thing in the corner of Mr. Wavering's box, it takes you to the wavering unit which you've usually already seen as their flag is blinking. I'd like to stomp the s--t outta that guy with an elephant wearing cleats.

Wow!  As usual I've been too busy getting cinematic on the battlefields to notice anything useful about Mr. Wavering.  I was kind of appreciative once when I tried ramming with a transport head-on versus a real naval quadrareme.  The ships looked the same size but my transport disintegrated instantly.  "An entire UNIT as been destroyed!" he said incredulously.  For once I had to agree with him.

So once every 3000 utterances he is right on target.  But I will have to pay more attention if he has some actual information there on his box in the sky.

Tuna

So with this patch, no issue continuing campaigns? I've been playing in offline mode, since it's on my son's ID, but I'll log in and path if it's a good thing!

Sir Slash

I just looked again. It's not a camera-thing. It's a Looking-Glass-Thing instead. And you can turn the advice off by clicking on the Gears-Thing.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Nefaro

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 02, 2013, 02:58:51 PM
I just looked again. It's not a camera-thing. It's a Looking-Glass-Thing instead. And you can turn the advice off by clicking on the Gears-Thing.

You have to do it at the start of every battle.  It does not stay off, last I checked.  >:(

I recall a similarly annoying Japanese general in Shogun 2, who repeatedly uttered a very specific phrase.  No, it wasn't the "Shamefur Dispray!" one, but something he used FAR more in the early versions of the game.  It was so bad, in some cases I would hear the exact same sound playing through three channels at once!  I believe they eventually patched that.  Makes me wonder if it's the exact same "wavering" phrase (I think it was) between the two. 

Gusington

^I beg you to really concentrate and try to remember the phrase.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

tgb

I actually got "This is a shameful display" instead of wavering a couple of times.  I'm guess that's a deliberate callback.

Gusington

Has to be.

So I played through 3-4 battles as the Romans against the Athenians last night and almost all of the sputtering is gone with the memory sharing option off. But now I get the low video graphics warning.

Should I turn down my textures a notch to eliminate the pre-battle warning?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

Might very well work! Only one way to find out!
Do you feel lucky? Make my day, punk!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Gusington

I'll have to try later. Patching should simplify these optimizations, not make them more complex...after Patch 2 my game was like buttah. After Patch 3...issues :/

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Wow 99 pages. Is this the longest thread in Grogs history? I seem to note since the patches that AI armies don't use their skirmishers especially slingers as much. Instead it seems to have gone back to the old come-strait-at-you tactic even when outnumbered.