Main Menu

Rome II

Started by JudgeDredd, June 10, 2013, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on March 12, 2014, 07:52:26 AM
If you don't have mods, do you have to restart with a new patch? I thought they were save game compatible most of the time.

They should be, but there may be some fixes in updates, which adjust the starting values of various things, that won't be included until you start a new campaign.  This has been my experience with patches for many games in general, but it's not always the case with every one.

mikeck

The problem for me isn't the beta patch really because I haven't opted into it. I generally don't opt into beta patches unless I'm really having performance issues and with this game, I'm not;so I'll wait till it's released.  My problem is that radius has altered his mods to only work with patch 10 and from what I understand they will longer work with games using patch nine...and since I'm using radious' mods and patch nine I'm kind of screwed.

No matter, my current game with radious mod I've got like 30,000 gold coins and I get about 10,000 a year. I've got 10 legions and I'm getting ready to steamroll everyone so it's about time to start over . I'll try vanilla on hard this time have a couple Mods to  make the graphics pretty and off I go
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Gusington

Pontus beckons...as do the Seleucids...and Parthians...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

Quote from: Gusington on March 12, 2014, 07:52:26 AM
If you don't have mods, do you have to restart with a new patch? I thought they were save game compatible most of the time.

Dunno. But upgrading the game from patch 9 to 10 and then upgrading an overhaul mod is bound to play some havoc with an old save I would think
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Gusington

^Right, with a mod. I had that happen to me more than once. But I don't think it's necessarily the case with patches only. I've been away from Rome 2 for a week but it's draw is strong. Might be back sooner than I planned...for Pontus.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

Quote from: Gusington on March 12, 2014, 07:32:12 PM
^Right, with a mod. I had that happen to me more than once. But I don't think it's necessarily the case with patches only. I've been away from Rome 2 for a week but it's draw is strong. Might be back sooner than I planned...for Pontus.

Correct...you shouldn't have a problem going from vanilla 9 to vanilla 10. I have not done so as I don't like using beta patches unless something is really wrong.

Nefaro

Blast it all to Hades!  With these damn blue screen crashes lately.   >:(

Was either an Nvidia driver update, a recent game update, or both.  No mods.. ever.. on this computer, so it's just a bug.  A nasty one.

Been wanting to play some Rome 2 as Egypt, Parthia, and numerous others but the only suggestion left is to reinstall the game to my hard drive instead of my SSD and hope it straightens up.  :-[  The base Steam folder is where we're supposed to install it - evidently Total War doesn't "run very good" if it's installed anywhere but the default location.

Gusington

Eek...good luck. For reference I also had recent NVidia and game updates and have not had issues like that. Have mods too which update pretty regularly and the game has been stable.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Tuna

Been all stable for me as well.. not sure if I've done the latest Nvidia update though.. one came out last week right?

mikeck

I had a crash last night (my third since I started playing months ago) but it was after I had been playing about 3 hours and was during a huge battle...I suspect a RAM thing. Anyway, started back up and was fine.

Never had a blue screen...doesn't that usually indicate a problem with the memory or something? I've never had a game cause it but I don't know much about it.

Sorry your having such a hard time getting going on it.

Sir Slash

I think the Blue-Screen thing is a left-over effect of Gus's Iceni victory. ;D Think about it. All my Roman characters in the game have British accents. See....
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

sandman2575

Quote from: Nefaro on March 20, 2014, 12:42:26 AM

Was either an Nvidia driver update, a recent game update, or both.  No mods.. ever.. on this computer, so it's just a bug.  A nasty one.

Don't suppose you have been overclocking your CPU or GPU of late, have you?  BSOD is just infuriating -- hope you can track down the cause.

I've adopted a policy of staying at least one or two versions behind the latest whql nvidia driver.  New releases always seem so buggy, and if the one you're using ain't broke...

BTW, do any of you use the Display Driver Uninstaller? It's not officially supported by Nvidia, but they host it on their forum.  I've used it for several uninstalls / new installs of drivers and the thing really seems to work well  --  https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/550192/geforce-drivers/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v12-6-0-released-03-17-14-/1/

Tuna

On my laptop (which can't play Rome II) I started having BSOD's frequently.. they minidumps were pointing to Norton...

It wasn't Norton, I found out my fan needed to be cleaned out, it was overheating... Been fine since..

So you sure all your cooling is working properly? Also PSU could cause that if it's starting to go..

Nefaro

Quote from: sandman2575 on March 20, 2014, 08:49:20 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on March 20, 2014, 12:42:26 AM

Don't suppose you have been overclocking your CPU or GPU of late, have you?  BSOD is just infuriating -- hope you can track down the cause.

Naa.. I don't overclock for a couple reasons.  One being stability.

QuoteI've adopted a policy of staying at least one or two versions behind the latest whql nvidia driver.  New releases always seem so buggy, and if the one you're using ain't broke...

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have updated my Nvidia drivers as soon as they came out.  I wouldn't be surprised if they're part of the issue since I've been reading of their recent driver problems.  I should adopt the same rule.

QuoteBTW, do any of you use the Display Driver Uninstaller? It's not officially supported by Nvidia, but they host it on their forum.  I've used it for several uninstalls / new installs of drivers and the thing really seems to work well  --  https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/550192/geforce-drivers/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v12-6-0-released-03-17-14-/1/

I've used Driver Sweeper in the past but haven't had issues with leftovers in years (if ever).  Admittedly, my previous computer had an AMD card and it's drivers never needed it.  From the scuttlebutt it sounds like AMD's video driver releases have been more stable than Nvidia's in recent times.  Oh, how things change.

As a last resort, I'll wipe my vid drivers and revert to an earlier driver version but I figured that I would try reinstalling to my main Steam folder since that was one suggestion put forth by CA's tech support for us.  I suspect that won't stop them all since there's a massive thread on just such crashes from Nvidia users going back months.  :-\

Thanks for the link.. I may use it if I reinstall my vid drivers and ditch the latest.

Quote from: mikeck on March 20, 2014, 08:13:19 AM
Never had a blue screen...doesn't that usually indicate a problem with the memory or something? I've never had a game cause it but I don't know much about it.

Sorry your having such a hard time getting going on it.

Blue screens on modern Windows OSes usually indicate a hardware issue, although this can be initiated by hardware driver issues in relation to specific programs.  Since this computer is only a few months old, and hasn't had issues with other titles, I'm guessing it's just a driver 'splosion in Rome 2. 

I'm just whining about having to spend time troubleshooting instead of playing.  ;)

mikeck

I switched out memory cards on an older desktop. Started getting BSOD so went back to the old ones....still got it. Never could find out what was wrong so I gave it to my daughter to use (doesn't so it a lot) and I had an excuse to get a new one.

It is a pain is the ass

The Iceni problem should have been sorted out. I finished them off in my Rome campaign last night...hmmmm... Don't understand ...