Main Menu

Mechwarrior Online

Started by Martok, March 10, 2012, 12:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Martok

Link


Looks pretty freakin' cool, I have to admit. 


So is anyone else looking forward to this one?  More to the point, are we going to be able to get a group of GH'ers togehter to play it? 

Of course, I still wish it had a singleplayer mode.  However, it's hard to argue with it being free... 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Shelldrake

I am really psyched for this. Open beta this summer so hurry up and register mech pilots.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Gusington

I am psyched but having never played a MW game I don't know if this is what I should play as my first entry into it...don't think I have much choice though.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Also, I'm eager to see how "roles" work out.  They keep saying that it should be very possible to be an effective scout Mech, a prospect that has me very excited! 





Quote from: Shelldrake on March 10, 2012, 12:15:52 PM
I am really psyched for this. Open beta this summer so hurry up and register mech pilots.
I registered as soon as I finished watching that video.  ;) 




Quote from: Gusington on March 10, 2012, 01:32:07 PM
I am psyched but having never played a MW game I don't know if this is what I should play as my first entry into it...don't think I have much choice though.
Well I suck at these games too -- a lot -- so if we find we can't keep up with the more skilled players, we can always just slap-fight each other.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Keunert

looks like the future is bright for inept weapon developers.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Martok

Quote from: Keunert on March 12, 2012, 02:44:53 AM
looks like the future is bright for inept weapon developers.
Okay...?  (Care to elaborate on that comment?) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Keunert

the video shows a mech shooting at the other mech's left arm for like seven times.
one would guess that those machines are masters of destruction. instead the fighting
looks rather like a boxing thing.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

LongBlade

Quote from: Keunert on March 12, 2012, 08:04:35 AM
the video shows a mech shooting at the other mech's left arm for like seven times.
one would guess that those machines are masters of destruction. instead the fighting
looks rather like a boxing thing.

Good point.

IIRC the Mechwarrior series is really all about heat build up. Every move and action builds up heat. The less you do, the faster you cool. So it's supposed to be a trade-off between taking action and risking breakdown.

How well that translates to an FPS style of gameplay remains to be seen. In theory all the tech upgrades will add a nice RPG element. In practice one does wonder how many missiles a mech can take before it explodes.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Martok

Quote from: LongBlade on March 12, 2012, 11:55:57 AM

IIRC the Mechwarrior series is really all about heat build up. Every move and action builds up heat. The less you do, the faster you cool. So it's supposed to be a trade-off between taking action and risking breakdown.

How well that translates to an FPS style of gameplay remains to be seen. In theory all the tech upgrades will add a nice RPG element. In practice one does wonder how many missiles a mech can take before it explodes.
I played a little Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries with my friends/roommates back in the day, and it seemed to handle the heat factor pretty well (including reflecting how it was represented in the original pen-and-paper version).  Unless your Mech sported mostly ballistic weapons and/or it had a gazillion heat sinks, you took a real risk launching an alpha-strike!  Hopefully MWO has been constructed so that the experience is similar in that regard. 


"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Martok

Stumbled over a couple more videos today: 


Preview

MechLab


Still looks promising, I'd say.  If the gameplay is anywhere near as good as the visuals, I could foresee losing many hours to this one... 


"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

^You Sir are at 1000 posts...careful now...
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Heh.  Hadn't even noticed! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

eyebiter

Anyone have a beta invite for Mechwarrior Online?

Shelldrake

Quote from: eyebiter on August 08, 2012, 05:41:54 AM
Anyone have a beta invite for Mechwarrior Online?

NDA could prevent beta players from disclosing status as beta tester...just saying.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell