Main Menu

Air Conflicts Vietnam

Started by LongBlade, June 20, 2013, 09:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

LongBlade

Kalypso is working on a new game: Air Conflicts Vietnam. It's an arcade air sim, but looks like it could be a lot of fun.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Swatter

Is that profile pic a reference to global warming?

Toonces

That is really bad forum etiquette to post up a comment and pic but no link.   >:(
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

LongBlade

Quote from: Toonces on June 20, 2013, 09:53:45 PM
That is really bad forum etiquette to post up a comment and pic but no link.   >:(

Sorry, no link provided. Kalypso doesn't have a page for it yet.

How about a press release quoted in full followed by another pic?

QuoteVietnam. 1965. A long-simmering conflict escalates into a full-fledged war, and you are about to become a big part of it

Jump into the cockpit of some of the finest combat aircraft as young Joe Thompson, a newly minted U.S. Air Force pilot. He is brave, talented and ready to do his duty, but his experiences during this war will change him forever.

Air Conflicts: Vietnam is an arcade-styled air-combat game that immerses players in the harrowing skies over Vietnam. Take to the air in screaming fighter jets or grab the controls of devastating helicopter gunships as you shatter enemy encampments with explosive ordinance, decimate North Vietnamese ace fighter squadrons, escort bombers as they deliver their deadly payload, or rescue stranded soldiers and deliver support troops to the ever-changing front lines of the vicious battlefield.

Key Features:
•   Live a thrilling wartime narrative. In an epic single-player campaign, filled with heroic moments and the darker side of war, your performance in air combat and support missions drives the story from the initial escalation of tension, through key battles of the Vietnam War and, ultimately, the fall of Saigon.

•   Jump into the cockpit for instant action. Pilot and customize more than 20 planes and – for the first time in the Air Conflict series – helicopters, including the workhorse UH-1 "Huey" Iroques, fire-breathing AH-1 Cobra attack gunships, the devastating F4 Phantom and F104 Starfighter jets, plus fearsome enemy MIG fighter jets.

•   Lead your squadron to victory. Command up to four jets or helicopters, maximizing their unique abilities to complete challenging objectives, while earning experience, leveling up and improving your leadership and air combat skills.

•   Challenge your friends for air supremacy. Play up to eight online opponents in nail-biting, fast-paced capture-the-flag, deathmatch and team deathmatch air battles.

•   Get your groove on. As you test your pilot skills against AI or human opponents, treat your ears to a cool rock soundtrack in the style of vintage Vietnam-era tunes.


All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Longdan

Hope its more fun than the real thing
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

jomni

I'd go with Strike Fishers 2 Vietnam anyday

MikeGER

#7
Quote from: Longdan on June 20, 2013, 11:00:16 PM
Hope its more fun than the real thing


-on topic-
i prefer DCS Huey ...maybe they will have a tropical map area one day  ;D   

FrontierCybrarian

Okay, so I took the plunge at $30 and purchased this STEAM title because I've had enjoyment from all the other Air Conflicts releases. Boy am I thoroughly disappointed. I was looking forward to playing a Vietnam era arcade flight game. I can't even recommend this game if it hits the $9.99 bargain bin.

Here are my main complaints:

1. Poor controls for jets, copters, and prop aircraft (Agent Orange distributor). Virtually unplayable except for first-person/cockpit view.
2. Mission completions are so underwhelming, unsatisfying, unfulfilling, unrewarding....so what's the use?
3. Explosions basically make just simple crackling noises....I want the BIG BANG for my BUCK.
4. Ground terrain, enemies, vehicles, etc. graphics are very poor...and the "wagging" trees are simply laughable. I've seen better graphics in 25 year old flight games.
5. The choice of Vietnam-era rock music I witnessed was annoying and drowned out the weapon firing Vulcan cannons or sidewinder missiles. I turned it down to 20% to hear the weapons.
6. I didn't care for the narrator voice.

I do like the "honest" storyline regarding what was happening in Vietnam...hamlet relocation programs, Agent Orange, forest destruction, etc. (that's all I've gotten into so far).

The graphics for plane and copters are okay and the sound effects for such are okay, too.

This title could have been so much better. We need more Vietnam flight titles, whether sims or arcade. But they need to be at least half-way decent.

SO SAD. Buy at your own risk and don't say you weren't advised either by my voice or the voice of others.

http://www.gamerankings.com/pc/704511-air-conflicts-vietnam/index.html
Task without Vision is Drudgery
Vision without Task is Dreaming
But Task with Vision is Destiny.

The Church News, January 4, 1958

Gusington

I was interested in this until FC posted above...saved me some money. Thanks FC.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MikeGER

THX for the warning :)  ....i'm always a little reluctant by titles done by (Apo)Kalypso Media ;D

spelk

I stumped for it on the Xbox 360, and I can only echo similar negatives.

If you want something to look at Vietnam era aircraft models its not bad. But everything else is just sub-standard. The most disappointing is that the weapons system just don't feel right. Nothing feels like it has the right punch. Even gunning out of a 'copter, hasn't got any real tactile feel to it. Missile release, bombing missions all struggle under a poor control mechanism. I had high hopes for this, not sure why, but it seems to be bargain bin material from day one. I'd avoid, and go to a more specialised flight sim for your Vietnam kicks.

Jarhead0331

Real damn shame....I've been following this one closely too, but was dissuaded by all the negative reviews. Another thing that makes the game really substandard is the small size of many of maps....making this problem even more obvious, is the digital wall you smack into when you get to edge. Seriously, there is this big ugly digital wall that you can actually see as you approach. Talk about immersion breaking.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


mirth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 24, 2013, 05:23:13 AM....making this problem even more obvious, is the digital wall you smack into when you get to edge. Seriously, there is this big ugly digital wall that you can actually see as you approach. Talk about immersion breaking.


:o
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus