Marines Ordered to Disarm Before Panetta Speech

Started by Steelgrave, March 14, 2012, 09:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelgrave

Just caught this on the news.....I've never heard of this done in a combat zone before. Anyone else? Makes me wonder what our Marines here think?

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/14/10684063-marines-asked-to-disarm-before-panetta-speech

LongBlade

From the article:

QuoteDisarming in this way was noteworthy, according to NBC News' chief Pentagon correspondent Jim Miklaszewski.

He told NBC's Chuck Todd that the move was "highly unusual" and that Marines in a combat zone are always supposed to have weapons within their reach.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

son_of_montfort

Odd. Where they really afraid for Panetta's welfare with our own troops? Sounds like Panetta's people were expecting to find a scene from, In the Hearth of Darkness or Apocalypse Now when the arrived or something.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

However you look at it, it is certainly an insult to the troops who were there. A stateside base is one thing, a combat zone is another.

TheCommandTent

Here is the excuse given in the article...

Quote"You've got one of the most important people in the world in the room," Major General Mark Gurganus told reporters at Camp Leatherneck, dismissing concerns related to the shooting. "This is not a big deal."

He said he had given the order because the two dozen Afghan soldiers also there were unarmed and he did not want to treat them differently.

I call bull on that one.  Of course the Afghan soldiers should be treated differently, they aren't US Marines who have taken an oath to protect the US and its interests.  IMHO it sends a sad message when they can't even trust the Marines with weapons in a combat zone.  I'm just a civilian but I'm pretty sure if the Marines wanted to kill somebody they really don't need a weapon to do it with.  Just sayin...
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Anyone ever read Otto Carius' bio, Tigers in the Mud?

He relates how he spent an hour in the company of Himmler (IIRC) with his sidearm. Alone.

It is clear in retrospect he wished he'd capped him, but at the time it wasn't considered a big deal.

Gusington

I agree that at its simplest its an insult to the Marines. Also agree that US Marines should expect to be treated differently than Afghan troops. If I were a Marine it would piss me off.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on March 14, 2012, 10:48:17 AM
I agree that at its simplest its an insult to the Marines. Also agree that US Marines should expect to be treated differently than Afghan troops. If I were a Marine it would piss me off.

I suspect there's more to the story.

It is almost a certainty that Panetta's boss wanted to send a message. That the message was unnecessary, stupid, and insulting to our troops is par for the course.

Gusington

I'm sure there is. But way to make the good guys look like animals.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

son_of_montfort

Or it really IS like Apocalypse Now over there and Big Brother doesn't want us to know. :o This is a weird story. If it is a message, it isn't a very good or clear one.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Centurion40

Quote from: Gusington on March 14, 2012, 10:48:17 AM

Word!
Any time is a good time for pie.

Gusington

Just read on NYTimes that an Afghan national tried to blow up a car near Panetta as he was de-planing...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd