Main Menu

X Rebirth First Trailer

Started by Darkspire, August 08, 2013, 11:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mikeck

Apparently the new 1.16 patch introduced a bad bug (must be the same patch development team total war uses) that causes the game to crash upon exiting the highways...so that doesn't help. Not much you can do with steams auto-patching so hopefully they will put out a hotfix.

Why do these types of patches  always come out on Friday?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

My initial impressions are good. 

I'm not really seeing much in the way of poor framerate performance.  The only really noticeable slowdown was during one of the video intermissions thus far.  I just built a new computer, though, so that probably mitigates the performance spikes.  It does look quite good when cranked up to eleven.  The space part does, anyway.

My major complaint is the space station walk-arounds.  The camera view has obviously been catered to the low FOV consoles.  It gives me a nasty headache and nausea even walking around a space station for a few minutes.  It literally makes me ill because everything looks too close and the mouse movement is touchy yet imprecise at the same time.  Probably some mouth smoothing going on there (console-ish again?).  This side of the game has prevented me from playing further than I have so I will absolutely need to find whatever mod allows the player to access internal space station stuff from outside.   I expected the walkaround bit to suck from the start, and still think it's just a waste of development resources, so it's not a surprise. 

I'm also still disappointed with ship customization.  I thought it would at least have more of it.  I can understand complaints about not having multiple ships, but I could get by with one if we could switch parts in & out of our lone vessel.  There doesn't seem to be much there.  I've come to expect such things in this genre since at least Privateer and it's a noticeable omission.  They could've at least included 'modules' like that in Darkstar One; it only had one ship to fly but a variety of systems you could upgrade.

I've not played enough to get the full scope of what you can do in the game.  I hope there is some kind of exploratory "look what I found!" kind of stuff.  I would expect there to be since X3 had derelicts and such you could find if you looked around but I dunno if they've improved and expanded it or cut it back like they did with ship variety. 

It looks great (minus the walkaround part with it's character models) and I've not yet experienced a game-lurching bug after about 90 minutes in.  It does feel more "alive" but this is probably just due to the highways shooting more ships past at any moment, along with increased streams of regular traffic near stations.  That is definitely an improvement.  The ship controls feel good with mouse & keyboard although finding some things in the menus can be a pain in the ass, as is some NPCs listed as being inside stations but nowhere to be seen .  Typical X menu interfaces that take some digging to find what you're looking for. 

The game obviously needs post-release improvements but it's been playable for me thus far.  I'm not sure how enthralling the ship combat will be since there's not much in the way of customization and advancement. *shrug*  I'll probably enjoy Starpoint Gemini's combat and RPG-ish system more, once they finish it.  X seems like it's more focused on gaining game wealth, which could possibly make me feel like I'm grinding money in Eve Online which wasn't all that fun.   It does look like it can be some free-roaming sandbox fun as a whole, however.   I'm gonna save any final thoughts until after I can find a way to avoid the nausea-inducing space station walks and let this initial patch-fest settle down so I don't have to constantly re-mod it.


mikeck

I think you might find you enjoy the combat. Yes, your weapons are more limited than in x3 but franky, many of the x3 weapons were different versions of "glowing balls".

In rebirth, the combat is smoother due to ship movement and the localized damage features make for cool battle damage. You can also target subsystems. Shoot out the cap ships engines and they begin to smoke heavily and the ship loses control...vs x3 hit point system
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

#288
Nefaro, I should add that you may-as i was- be really disappointed that there is no anti-missile defense. I really enjoyed watching my ships blast missiles out of space with mosquito defense missles...no joy here. I like the mechanics, graphics, damage modeling and fluidity of combat in rebirth but x3 had far more options in terms of weapons, load outs, missles, Etc
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Yskonyn

I have seen mosquitos been fired by other ships though. The Skunk just can't equip them. Perhaps this will change with a patch or a mod too.
But I am pretty sure they are still in the game.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 23, 2013, 02:10:32 AM
I have seen mosquitos been fired by other ships though. The Skunk just can't equip them. Perhaps this will change with a patch or a mod too.
But I am pretty sure they are still in the game.

That's odd.  I would expect them to be a player option if they're in the game.  ???

Yskonyn

Those mosquitos are those 'swirly' shells that fool a missile, right?
In that case I am positive they are in game, just saw them with me own eyes. ;)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

republic

I had my first crash because of the latest patch.  :(

It seems the highways and boosting can cause it to crash now.  All I did was tell the woman "Ludicrous speed, GO!"  What could go wrong?

mikeck

#293
Quote from: Yskonyn on November 23, 2013, 07:08:16 AM
Those mosquitos are those 'swirly' shells that fool a missile, right?
In that case I am positive they are in game, just saw them with me own eyes. ;)

No, they are missles that destroy other missles. Originally they were not designed to, but x3 modders made such good use for them as anti-missile missles, that egosoft sort of adopted those mods

Disappointed in the recent patch as I now have routine random crashes with memory dump. Was fine until 1.16
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

MikeGER

question about the sandbox game:  (i am new to the x-universe and started with campaigns as a tutorial of course)

what will trigger the gate to the other system to open  (and then get closed by the evil company Plutarch faction too? ) in sandbox mode ...or are those gates already open, or open after some time when you managed to piss off Plutarch enuf...     

PanzersEast

Quote from: MikeGER on November 23, 2013, 09:49:32 AM
question about the sandbox game:  (i am new to the x-universe and started with campaigns as a tutorial of course)

what will trigger the gate to the other system to open  (and then get closed by the evil company Plutarch faction too? ) in sandbox mode ...or are those gates already open, or open after some time when you managed to piss off Plutarch enuf...   

The gates are already open to you.


PE

mikeck

Patch 1.17 is out . Fixes gate crash and trade ship traffic jams. Thought this was cool: read a thread where a player was in a sector with a shipyard. In the dry dock was an incomplete frigate. Upon delivering ore and some other items needed by the station , the construction drones began completing the frigate...some time later it flew out of the drydock and jumped out of the sector. Kind of neat when things are working.

Ship ordered
Dock acquires raw materials
Dock builds your custom ship
Ship delivered
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

undercovergeek

if i listen very carefully i can hear 40 pounds desperately trying to get out of my wallet

mikeck

You won't regret it...well, you might regret it.
Seriously though...just give it a few weeks. The game will still be here and will be a bit more stable. Not everyone is an impulsive as me. If a game comes out at $50 and you told me the next day it would be on sale for $35...I would still buy on day one for $50
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

#299
Two questions:
1. Is there anything to do with wares other than missiles and drones? I see people selling food, spacesuits, calcite shells, etc. Besides being there to buy scavenged items, does anyone trade with them? I made a killing buying some missiles and later selling them at a $1,500 a piece profit.

2. Is the partical repeater cannon not the most bad ass gun on any space game? C'mon...a three barreled Gatling gun spitting out red balls of....red?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson