Getting back to playing the old goodies

Started by Tpek, August 09, 2013, 12:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Tpek

I've been getting this itch lately, the itch a lot of you probably know too well, to get back and play (yet again) one of those old good rpgs
back from a few years ago.

Namely, Knights of the Old Republic (1+2) and Vampires the Masquerade Bloodlines. :P

So far I'm more drawn to having another play at KOTOR 1, and was wondering if any of you have great mods for it to recommend.
Especially things that might improve it's antique graphics, add more interesting content and whatnot.

airboy

I got about a third of the way through KOTAR Sith Lords and got very bored.  I got it cheap at the end of 2012.

Tpek

Mind you I just tried getting back to the SWTOR MMORPG, and it seems the game has fallen apart in my absence.
The problem in the game just got bigger (it feels even less like Star Wars and more like a tour in the realm of frustration due to the freakishly high difficulty that it has now).

So I guess KOTOR will be the only way so far to play a good Star Wars RPG. :(

mirth

I've been wanting to replay KOTOR for a while and this thread inspired me to dive in over the weekend. I installed several mods based on the recommendations in these articles:

http://www.gamefront.com/5-essential-kotor-mods/

http://www.gameinformer.com/blogs/members/b/the_yeti_blog/archive/2012/07/12/the-best-mods-for-knights-of-the-old-republic.aspx

I found most of the mods at file front and mod db

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/files/Knights_of_the_Old_Republic/Mods;5214

http://www.moddb.com/members/xarwarrz/addons

There are a series of visual enhancements made by Xarwarz on mod db. They need to be individually downloaded and placed in the KOTOR Overrides folder. They are nice mods, giving the game a Mass Effect type look. However I've noticed some minor bugs here and there (some small structural items not rendering correctly) that I've either had to troubleshoot or learn to ignore.

This is a brief explanation of how to apply KOTOR mods:

http://www.moddb.com/games/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic/tutorials/how-to-install-star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-mods-for-steam

Many of the mods I am using came with their own installer, so it was just a matter of running that. I have the Steam version of KOTOR and was able to patch it fine. The only issue I ran into was after first downloading the mods, the installer couldn't find the location of my KOTOR game folder. I eventually did a reboot and after that I was able to run the mod installers without issue.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Tpek


mirth

De nada. It's a great game. I'm digging the replay.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus